The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Some old soft glass pictures as I sort through it.

ksglass Lurker

Default Some old soft glass pictures as I sort through it.

Hopefully it's okay to share a public FB album: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=0bb10b655e

I'll try to post a few pictures of a few of the tubes, German glass and the sooo cool Colorex glass from the album here:

Attachment 91006Attachment 91007Attachment 91008Attachment 91009Attachment 91010Attachment 91011Attachment 91012Attachment 91013Attachment 91014Attachment 91015

Default Re: Some old soft glass pictures as I sort through it.

There might be a bit more boro there than you think. I have some Colrex and all of the colors have a thin layer of clear around them, guess they were powder in a tube pulled down? Some of the oranges/yellows you posted have that same thin line of clear.
    I also have some soft glass fat rods with similar labels to those XP and XM ones, this makes me curious to find out what they are again.

http://www.talkglass.com/forum/asset...8&d=1400559904

http://www.talkglass.com/forum/asset...8&d=1400559889

The xp soft glass I'm not sure what it is, but it looks like stuff you have. Some was labelled with Northstar names like dark multi and turquesa. I work in a hotshop now I have access to 90, 96, 104 coe so I should be able to see what it works with if I can find it. Some of your rod looks like Colrex boro.

ksglass Lurker

The artist who's glass it was I believe only worked with soft glass so I'd be surprised if much of it is borosilicate. I've done a few stringer tests with known effetre/moretti numbers and so far the few pieces have been soft.

I have searched everywhere for the colorex. That stuff is the coolest glass in the world. Do they still make it? I also assume it is soft glass but haven't tested.

I tried to follow your links but they seem to be missing something cause they won't open correctly.

And. On the glass tubes with the XM & XP, I'd love to figure out what it is. A good chunk of the glass I have is 20-90 years old. I kinda assume the tubes are fairly old. Let me know if you find out what they are.

The Colrex I have is boro, if you search Colrex on here in will come up in an antique glass stuff thread. No super good photos but the tube of Colrex I have is from 1982. The XP soft glass I didn't post in that thread but it's in my old attachments, I tried to link it, it's fully 30+ years old too. The Colrex is thin like 6-7mm rods with a super thin clear layer, none of mine look as cool as the stuff you had that was marked colorex so maybe it's different stuff. The Colrex I have was the first colored boro from a company called Vitro Dynamics in NJ.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2949.PNG 
Views:	68 
Size:	947.8 KB 
ID:	91028Name:  IMG_2948.JPG
Views: 168
Size:  123.5 KB
    Seems to be the same, the trans red number matches, 1011.

The transparents are xp10xx, the opaques are xp11xx. I think all of mine start with xp.
    Last edited by BurntHands; 08-25-2017 at 04:52 PM.

ksglass Lurker

And your XP 1011 looks to be red too.

I'll do some research on Vitro Dynamics. I've done quite a bit of research for Colorex and I've only found the antique glass stuff. It would be cool to have some red glass boro rods from the 80's but I'm still guessing soft glass. I'm anxious to hear if they are soft glass. BTW, I believe some of the old soft glass reds can be worth $ and it seems any type of non-beaded soft glass tubes is rare too.

I sent some of the glass to a soft glass collector/artist who is helping me identify some of it. Seems there is some 96 COE Northstar Bubblegum in there. I just found out today. I didn't even know Northstar made soft glass.

I'm anxious to hear what you find out about the red you have.

North Star 96? The stuff I have was all wrapped in post-its with old north star names like dark multi and turquesa and strawberry. I kind of thought that maybe the old guy that's had it confused it with the original 16 or whatever borosilicate colors. North Star, precision? I'll dig this stuff out and see what I can do. If you search Colrex with no o, just 6 letters, you'll see the photo I posted of the colrex boro I have, the red is like an opaque red it doesn't look like yours. Super boily, tubes full of fused powder. Both the boro and the soft glass came to me from the same 84 year old in 2012

http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showt...ghlight=Colrex

I work in a hotshop now but I'm not a Furnace glass blower. I bet a couple of those guys would be interested if it's extinct 96coe though, I don't know about all the weird hand pulled tube and Lauscha stuff though. Cool too see you figuring it out bit by bit, hope I can help. I'll dig out that xp soft glass, I have access to glass now at work that I didn't last time I screwed with it. Also access to experienced 96coe people that might know something about it, looks like you're doing pretty well so far with the numbers though. I'd love to confirm what this xp stuff is.

ksglass Lurker

I'm trying to find the link to Northstar higher COE glass and can't find anything but 33coe now. I may have been mistaken but will update if I find it. Sorry for any confusion.

wasn't the Northstar soft glass/104 coe under the name Precision?
    You shouldn't be having sex for pleasure, only for reproduction.
    Thousands of people read my threads now. So I’m trying to not embarrass myself.