The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Hot head torch

Default Hot head torch

Anyone ever hook a hot head torch up to propane? I saw a Coleman hose to take a 20lb tank and hook it up to a grill that takes the 2 pound tanks. I would think that would work right?
    I know mapp gas is the way to go but it's getting expensive to go through those canisters daily.

Default Re: Hot head torch

We did just that with an adapter hose, no trouble. You can also get an adapter to fill the small canisters.

I knew there were adapter hoses that would let you hook up a HH to a large bottle of propane. I wonder if you should use a regulator with that hook up? I doubt it but just asking.

Quote Originally Posted by crisson View Post
    I knew there were adapter hoses that would let you hook up a HH to a large bottle of propane. I wonder if you should use a regulator with that hook up? I doubt it but just asking.
    No, you're not supposed to use a regulator with it, because the hothead is designed to run off of tank pressure.

Running a hothead with one of those hoses seems dangerous. I don't want to be indoors with 200psi propane piped through a flexible hose like that.

Yea our tank and hothead was for outside. Id not bring that into my studio.

Dusty is right , they are not all that safe. Filling the bottles is a lot safer.

Folks do it. You can get the hose with the inline regulator from an RV supply place.

The only caveat is that propane tends to be dirtier than MAPP so it's going to muddy your colors. Also, you're not supposed to keep 20lb tanks indoors
    Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around, and desert you.

I know that Sundance Art Glass (and probably others) sell hoses that are specifically designed to connect a HH to a 20lb bottle. Agreed, the bottle should be kept outside but some of the hose lengths would allow the bottle to be outside and the HH inside.

Quote Originally Posted by crisson View Post
    I know that Sundance Art Glass (and probably others) sell hoses that are specifically designed to connect a HH to a 20lb bottle. Agreed, the bottle should be kept outside but some of the hose lengths would allow the bottle to be outside and the HH inside.
    In the event of a catastrophic failure of the hose, 200psi propane will fill an average sized room to explosive levels very quickly. Catastrophic failure of hoses isn't all that common, but 200 psi certainly increases the risk of it happening. Lots of people do it anyway. Lots of people recommend against it for these reasons, too.

RV's usually have a regulator at the tank. I've never seen one that didn't. I can't imagine that any RV is just piping 200 psi propane through it - that's a very high risk/low reward thing to do.

You don't need to run 200psi on a hot head. Set up a reg and one hot head and see what it needs. I plumbed 8 hot heads on a bench for a guest teacher they all ran in 3/8 hose and one regulator. She dialed in the flame on one torch with whatever pressure and the class was taught using that one reg at that pressure. They rocked some pretty nice work with no complaints. Many of them had there own set up at home.

What I'm saying is hook one up to a reg and try it worst case you crank the reg up.

Awesome thanks. Yeah we don't do glass in the house. We do it in the garage with the door open so I think we may go that route