The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Need help- cracked finish

Icon3 Need help- cracked finish

Hello everyone,

I am new to the world of glass and in dire need of help!

I'm looking to make a sphere with a cracked finish. This is where it gets a bit complicated- I don't want the standard crackle glass finish, but two layers: the glass itself transparent and on top a layer of opaque, cracked colour.

Something like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4478.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	91304

(Just imagine the blue to be more transparent)

Through research I've found two possible ways to do it:

1. I wonder whether it is possible to apply the procedure used for crackle glass for this purpose too? Meaning immersing the hot glass with the 2nd layer in cold water to shock it? Or would there be too much tension with the danger of the 1st layer cracking too?
    2. Online you can find crackle paint, although I'm not sure it works well and will give me the desired finish I want!

Any other suggestions/ experiences are very much appreciated!

I don't blow the glass myself by the way.

Thank You!

Default Re: Need help- cracked finish

#1. If I were blowing glass,

I would make a transparent blue sphere. Hollow , solid, whatever.

Next I would roll it in opaque white powder (glass color powdered frit)

*** Take lots of care not to breath in that powdered glass. ***

After it come out of the kiln, I would mask it with the "crackle pattern" the same way you tape up any piece before you sandblast it. ( or media blast it, etc.)

So now you have your piece covered in this sticker (look up "photo resist" to find the sticker coating stuff)

Blast it, it will remove the white glass coating where you want your "cracked lines"

#2. As far as real deal traditional crackle glass, I have no idea how it's done.

#3 If the sphere in the picture is smooth to the touch, it's painted with the paint you mention (the much easier way)

I'm guessing it's #3. It does not look like the crackle glass my dad had.

Default Re: Need help- cracked finish

If paint will work aesthetically I think it's your best bet. I work a dayjob in a glass hotshop that makes crackle lights and multi-layer bubble lights. I couldn't do it, I can ask tomorrow if boss has any ideas, but to recreate that in glass would be $200+ If he can do it.

I had a girlfriend that crackle painted some stuff, just a layer of the crackle stuff between 2 coats of latex paint. It was some Martha Stewart crackle stuff from Walmart, and I know the thicker the layer, the fatter the cracks when it's dry. Spray clear over it to lock it down.

We have a bunch of cobalt light globes - 8" & 10" glass balls with a 1" hole, $60 apiece. I'll sandblast one and try crackle painting it for like $100 of you want a bigger one. There are some 12s and 14s as well in amethyst, turquoise, emerald transparent, I won't know price on those til tomorrow or tues. I don't know if you wanted Xmas balls or bigger, it's a pretty cool idea for a lamp anyway. Like Cohen said we all have our cracks and that's where the light shines through. The Japanese have the right idea with kintsukuri and wabisabi... "All imperfections in this handmade piece of art are purely intentional"

Good luck!