The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Home Studio design, need help or advice!

Icon4 Home Studio design, need help or advice!

I will be converting my shed to a studio in the coming weeks. It is a 14x14 shed with one set of double doors. I have done most of my research on torches, kilns, tools, etc. and know what to get. But my main concern is how exactly to lay out the design for my work space. Ex. where to have my torch? how tall should a workbench be? Where should my tanks be stored? If anyone has any experience and advice that they would like to share it would be much appreciated. I do not have a large community to interact with so TMP has been my encyclopedia basically.

Default Re: Home Studio design, need help or advice!

Use this: https://mikeaurelius.wordpress.com/ventilation-primer/

Table and torch height are a preference....how tall are you? Where would you like your torch? Maybe measure some tables you have and get a feel for what you think would be comfortable. I like my tables about 3ft tall, and i put my torch on a cinder block, i like it to be pretty high. Other people in my shop have shorter torches that I have trouble working on.

I copied my favorite desk height.
    I keep my tanks outside my shed. A 14 x 14 sounds big compared to my 8 x 12.

Insulation

I place my table next to the exhaust fan. Whatever is best place for the exhaust you are going to use.

I sit and work. I can work more hours that way and with good posture do it comfortably.
    But I am out of shape and my back weak. My arms and mostly hands are stronger than a mother.

I would set your bench so you can stand while you work. Get one of those rubber mats with holes like restaurant 's have, your back will thank you.

You can use a bar stool with a foot stool when you want to sit. I used to work seated, with a low bench, standing I'd estimate 30% more production, going back and forth to the oven, stuff like that.

Somethinh to try, you can put your torch on a microphone stand or piece of drum hardware so it's free standing, it's pretty cool to have different angles, but you can't use tooling rollers with one.

Make sure your oven is near, or have a 2nd smaller one in reaching distance.

Don't forget fire extinguisher's (try to get a co2 one, that way your shop won't get coated in yellow poison dust) and keep a bucket of water for tiny fires.(like when paper gets in the glass trash.....yea.) or for when your idiot friend sets their sweater on fire. Happens.

Make sure there is room on both sides of your torch for moving around and working off longer pieces, say at least 4' both sides.

A table made from 2 4x8 pieces of 1" plywood, topped with fire board then 12" ceramic tiles placed in the center of a room that size might be good, I liked that better than facing a wall all day.

If you do face a wall, put mirrors all over it.

Have at least an improvised eyewash station. (Saline in a wide mouth 3 liter bottle is fine)
    One thing I learned the hard way but seems obvious now, don't put your jacket on top of your kiln. (Didn't burn the shop down, but filled the building with smoke)

2 sets of Steel shelving let's you put cases of glass across them, cut the bottom and sides off, leave the flap to keep dust out. Plug larger tube's to keep dust out. big pvc tubing cut down to store color rods is pretty good.

I would put your sandblasting cabinet outside if you can.

Just some thoughts, have fun.

OH, and get at least renters insurance and if possible a motion detector. Those outbuilding sheds are really tempting to scumbags.