The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: EU a review, US33 a debacle.

lil' rhody. i know it's small, but it's the motion of the ocean state that matters!

Default EU a review, US33 a debacle.

So I contacted EU to get a case of 44x4, I was told that they didn't have Schott on the east coast and they recommended trying US33 to save on shipping, so I did. When I got the case the glass was horrible, dirty, scratched, dinged, full of stones and air lines, essentially unusable for what I got it for. I called and was told that at the cost to ship it back that I may as well just throw it in the trash and maybe we could just discount it. I did not want to use this glass and wanted to send it all back, I was then told to use what I could and they'd get another case out to me the following Monday (this was on a Friday). Monday came and went, and then the rest of the week (New Years eve week), the following week I called to ask what was going on (shouldn't have had to call) and got the old "I was just about to call you", then the owner got on the phone and told me to send the glass back. At this point it was in pieces as I tried to use whatever I could and the original box was recycled, I agreed to pay a significantly reduced price to avoid the hassle of packing and shipping it back. They gave me a credit and I ordered another case and was assured that they would inspect the glass to make sure I got good glass. I received the replacement case and 7 out of 9 tubes are scratched. This has set me back by about 2 to 3 weeks now and I still don't have very much clean usable glass. I have to use this last case or I can't afford my trip to AGE, though I'm now contemplating switching back to UST.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	80866

Views:	60 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	80867

Views:	55 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	80868

Views:	57 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	80869

Views:	52 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	80870

Views:	56 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	80871

Views:	53 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	80872
    Quote Originally Posted by itssteve View Post
    Hey jimmi if this deal were to fall through (which I doubt will happen) I'll let my lynx go for a couple cooter pics of your sis. Pm me

Default Re: EU a review, US33 a debacle.

Yea there is 2 cases of this crap in my shop,I can not give it away,even the rod was messes up when I got it.I am with jimi on this one,the glass come in in poor shape to say the least.

i can't stand dirty/scratched glass. i go so far as to call mtn glass and have them wrap my large rod (30mm) and any tubing in bubble...each piece. they charge the same as the cutting fee to do this. still i don't get pristine glass, but it's better then it used to be.
    You shouldn't be having sex for pleasure, only for reproduction.
    Thousands of people read my threads now. So I’m trying to not embarrass myself.

lil' rhody. i know it's small, but it's the motion of the ocean state that matters!

Forgot to mention, when he said that they would inspect a case for me to make sure I got a good case, I said that if they couldn't find me a nice clean case that I'd rather pay the extra shipping to have a case of Schott sent from California and gave him permission to charge my credit card for whatever glass they sent, and they still sent me a case of this US33 with scratches.
    Hey jimmi if this deal were to fall through (which I doubt will happen) I'll let my lynx go for a couple cooter pics of your sis. Pm me

Iv get Shott from Lampworksuppy or MGA and it comes in great shape.

The glass in the pictures is certainly unacceptable.

This is very concerning to me... I was about to drop a serious load of cash on some US33 from EU Glass due to their free shipping to new customers... But I'm not sure I want to deal with this!
    Quote Originally Posted by $$$$$$$ View Post
    This thread is sweet, keep it going. Keep describing the piece without pics and we'll try to picture it and ask cool questions, such as where's the pics or post pics..
    Quote Originally Posted by DickFarm Glass View Post
    I'm no longer learning to blow glass...Back to the shop with my bad ass self, this Lambo isn't going to buy itself

Wait untill u actually try to use it...

For what ever its worth (not much) I have gotten schott thats badly scratched up from ust also ..

The thing that sucks for me about the us33 is softness of the clear and the way it reduces silver to white.

From what I can tell right now .. the 5 foot pyrex made my kavilear might be the best over all quality to value glass
    at the moment .

I've always just used Simax and Kimble. I feel like I was able to fume a bit better on the Simax, but I thought Kimble was the only stuff made here in the US, so that is my preferred company. I hadn't really looked into it, heard this stuff was being manufactured here so I was going to look into it. It sucks to see this kind of quality control. Looks like I'll be sticking with Kimble.

I'm curious to see what people are using these days, I'm a hermit, so I'm not too up to date on the current trends (took two months for me to hear about illuminati, had a shop request it, still haven't ordered it). Guess I'll make a new thread/poll about that.
    Without love in the dream
    It will never come true

waiting to see how this will be resolved. waiting for a response today. kept the box the last case came in so i can send back a full case, would gladly pick through the trash to get some of the pieces i threw out from the first case to send back to them as well. i really really really really really really really really just want some clean usable glass so i can fill some orders before AGE.

Well glad someone had brought this up . I also have been thinking about a pallet .

Thank goodness I did not . I see the kids on torch talk where lapping it up .

The Hurd is strong over there and lots are new so they like a distributor giving them the royal treatment .

I loved old Kimble , the new seems shocky on big sizes .

Oh well
    Lampworking the road that never ends, Until your out of gas!

I've also been getting some conflicting reports from people at EU, one kat swears that they never have issues and "some really big names" love this stuff and now only use this, but bigger kat says that their manufacturer may be still perfecting processes and it takes thyme and so forth. I'm an insanely patient man, though that's beginning to wear thin.

Simax or bust

Y
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimi The Don View Post
    I've also been getting some conflicting reports from people at EU, one kat swears that they never have issues and "some really big names" love this stuff and now only use this, but bigger kat says that their manufacturer may be still perfecting processes and it takes thyme and so forth. I'm an insanely patient man, though that's beginning to wear thin.
    They called me a few times with better offers each time due to volume and such even offered samples .

I am surprised they did not just send you out some good stuff .

One thread like this over one case of glass that makes pallet buyers Leary of ordering is somthing I would not want .

If it's as good as they say I would have said sorry Jimmi take a picture use what you can and we will credit your account for cost of glass so you could but either or.
    Lampworking the road that never ends, Until your out of gas!

Tried a piece of the tube. Garbage

Decided not to call yesterday to see if they would call me after not calling me back the day before still no call

Watching this.

FYI, never trust a product that is endorsed by a show audience when that show is geared toward people with little to no experience.
    Simian Glass on Facebook

If you know the Way broadly you will see it in all things. -Musashi

Q: Prove God doesn't exist.
    A: That's a tough one. Show me how it's done by proving Zeus and Apollo don't exist, and I'll use your method. ~unknown

Sadly, as long as we have a whole gaggle of uniformed and uneducated "artists" trying to make as much money as possible, we are going to have companies that want to profit off their ignorance.

Sorry you got screwed Jimi. I hope they find a way to make it right.

Aymie

What a bunch of crap man, sorry about this. I heard el-hefe glass uses it now, does a lot of fuming, and i wonder if he got bad cases?
    you will shank me later

Quote Originally Posted by FifDeez View Post
    I like the idea of burning water. Sounds mystical even tho I understand it completely.

Heffes process allows hime to use it. Without a lot of impact .. mainly because his technique is strong as fuck .. and because he is sleaving out side worked tubing .

Barry has thrown his work in my face a few times when ive complained about the glass .. but honestly if u look closely at the work .. u will notice its mostly white ish blue there is a verry verry thin line with the stuff and silver..

Im not a big fan of whitish blue .. even heffes work on eu the fume looks reduced .. I dont want it to turn into a "how dare u say something nagative about glass god heffe facebook shit fest .. but honestly I thought his work looked better before the us33.

Bary is basically giving the shit away .. and then if u dont like it .. its like .. oh how dare u look this gift horse in the mouth. Its really a genious marketing stratagie ..

Also u have to conciter that some people were already getting their glass from eu.. they have a personal and financial history with the company .. so their not going to want to say anything negative publicly . For fear of losing the "good deal" its really kinda sad ..

The whole hype about simax like fuming was total bull shit .. but some kids dont know any better ..

When schott artistic came out everyone was like yuck that shit reduces my fume .. then pyrex went to shit .. and for like almost 10 years now SBA has been the most commonly available/cheepest without being china glass.

What im getting at is lots of people have only used sba .. anyone with a decade or more experiance .. remembers a time when the big players in the industry. Simax .. pyrex .. kimax .. and duran .. all fumed much better than sba ..

These new kids simply dont know any better . And IMO .. barry and eu are praying on that . To make sales ..

The us33 I had was the most reducing glass I have ever worked with.. it is also the softest and fastest melting ... both of these are traits I would have previously ascribed to sba ... its just further down the road . In the wrong direction . . For what I do .. heffe is sleaving it and streatching it out so the dence color from a reducing glass is not hurting his process .. simax has a lighter more tranparent quality to its fume that might not show up as well after sleaving and streatching ..

But I would still love to see him do the same work on simax. I bet it would come out 2x as great . Espically after a couple of kiln cycles .. but thats just my speculation .. again nothing against the glass god heffe..he really is a bad ass. But thats kinda my point .. its his technique and shaping that looks good in those pics . Not really the fuming qualities of the us33
    Last edited by D. dino i ninjah; 01-13-2016 at 10:20 AM.

I have wondered the same thing. I wasnt talking so much as to the fuming qualities, as to the quality of the glass for imperfections like dirty and scratched.
    you will shank me later

Quote Originally Posted by FifDeez View Post
    I like the idea of burning water. Sounds mystical even tho I understand it completely.