The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Is the "Stick Stack" technique the "wrap and rake" of the new mellinium?

Voters
162. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes ovcourse it is.

79 48.77%
  • No you damn idiot your crazy.

83 51.23%
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Damnit another Stick Stack

Default Damnit another Stick Stack

Is the "Stick Stack" technique the "wrap and rake" of the new mellinium?
    Talk amongst yourselves.
    I am vaclempt.

Default Re: Damnit another Stick Stack

i dont know..i dont do em, they are a pain in the ass.i tried one and went back to inside out.wrap and rake is easy so ill say its not like wrap and rake

I think their a bit too common , even if they are nice .

It's just a technique to get a desired result right? Just like the wrap 'n rake or the disk flip, implosion, cut/flip, taco, fume 'n fart, shocker...

the fume n fart sounds fun eh

ive kinda felt like peeps are taking line tools a little too far
    For a little while i was seeing nasty line sections everywhere
    of course because of the stick stack
    i dont go out enough i think so theres probably an even more ferocious infestation
    I still lay my lines, i think it looks bettter
    but line tools do work nice, ill be making mine soon
    but yes, that seems to me the new trend also, at least the colors look nice!!!!

I dont think it is. I bet there are a ton of lampers that cant afford to use a QP of color per go. And a ton of them that dont have a big enough torch to do it either. Then there is a skill factor involved that even if you could sleeve a bunch of rods, you still have to do something with them. Average Joe can wrap a tube the first week on a torch but cant stack sticks....

Line tool??? Ive done a ton of stacks and never used a line tool. Unless a rod and a clamp and some rubberbands are considered line tools.
    Rusty

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

"Im going for the life of sin, followed by the presto-chango deathbed repentance." -Bart Simpson

yeh i dont think its gotten to the production level that wrap and rake is at. some people do bust them out though, but its not nearly as easy as w&r. contrasting line sections is def where its at though

this doesn't make any sense...wrap and rake is a style to decorate your glass piece, stick stack is a technique used to make color tubes which in turn get made into many many different styles.
    ~Misha

sure w&r is easier and less expensive than stick stacking but lately i have seen tons of stacked pieces that though they are great looking, its becomming too common to be special.

just my .02

A colored tube is too common? I think so too... Everything should just be clear damnit!

got to agree with Misha, Is it full color tube with line pattern you do not like? Does i/o count? How about rod encased or tube incased pulls? Do u like it when one color is stick stacked to make a sold color tube( no lines?) How about if that is honeycombed? I don't get it

i use wrap n rake to make tubes, which in turn get made into many styles. i've never done a successful stick stack. i still love reversals, but i agree that, instead of learning wrap n rake, kids are learning reversal tubing first. so, in that sense its the same. my buddy gets offered $50 every time he comes to our shop to make a perfect wrap n rake spoon. he makes $300 headdies and he cant/wont do it. so i say , keep reversin it up, it'll make my wrap n rake just that much more unique in a couple years. it's all trends. whats next? looks like its back to cut n flips and I/O. the cycle continues, no matter what medium. reversals will be retro in a few years anyway.

few years? reversals are already out...
    ~Misha

yeah, standard reversals are out......really lame....

I am finding new love for them by doing inlays.

As far as stick stacks, I used to do them all the time. After getting some sick art from JEH, I realized I/O tube pulls using stringers had soooo much more detail. Now I do nothing but I/O for my pulls. I can get 100+ lines in a flare and get sick fucking fades and it looks like fine pencil lines instead of crayon art made by a 3 year old.....

Homer

out now, retro in a few years....

stick stack was cool and cutting edge like 5 yrs ago. That seems to be about when the Badtram picture pipes were on their way out. I wonder whats next. I think im gonna go off on the coil pot reversals again myself

I'd really like to see some pics of these tube pulls made with stringers. I've bee curious how those line tools work. For instance, do you think that the reversals on these pipes were made by tube pull or line tool? Seems to be alot of lines for a tube pull....
    http://www.glasspipes.org/Gal12815_Ozone_layers.asp

i can guarantee it wasn't a line tool since adam don't own one or need one since his i/o stringer prowess is only surpassed by my wrap and rake.

but i would have to say that there stick stack sections especially since there silver colors and you can sleeve them without letting the flame atmosphere change the nuclei.

the second piece (without the flower) looks like i/o drawn line theres to many lines to be a stick stack.that is unless he used some of that 256 mil hvy wall that todd at csg has been hand pulling for some of his larger clients.
    Last edited by JANKYglass; 10-19-2005 at 11:04 PM.

reversals will be out when people stop getting tribal tattoos....................never gonna happen, yet some people will choose to get all colored out tattoos(puke), or sick black and white shadded tatts......and life goes on. Id way rather not be the person who is so kewl to tell people what is in and waht is not in. Its a fuckin opinion.......Personally in 2001 i was blowing out thinnass flares to lay rod in and get the exact same stick stak look because i got tired of lines. A while later I moved to all i/o line pulls because laying rod in thin flares is time consuming. Now I am back to stick stack most of the time because I get the look i want and it doesn't take too long. Dots get old too, It boils down to either doing what you personally think looks good, or trying to be in with the in croud.

The tribal tatts go back to tradition, and the reversal follows in that tradition, the mouri (sp) recognized the spiral as a symbol of the cycle of life. I am curious to know how many people are talking shit on reversals and then have tribal tatts on for life.

O and Chris, 50$ for a perfect wrapand wrake, What?! Are you serious?? Should i come visit and make 6 an hour for 8 hours at 50$ per piece, is it still on?lol
    Last edited by broken glass; 10-20-2005 at 06:14 AM.