The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CBS Dichroic Extract Sample Set (6)

Default CBS Dichroic Extract Sample Set (6)

I am offering up a sample set of CBS dichro extract. I used no more than 10% of 3 jars, the remaining 3 are the 1/8 sheet. $75 shipped.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dichro1.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	285.4 KB 
ID:	91730Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dichro2.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	476.6 KB 
ID:	91731Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dichro3.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	247.5 KB 
ID:	91732Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dichro4.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	334.6 KB 
ID:	91733Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dichro5.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	245.5 KB 
ID:	91734

Default Re: CBS Dichroic Extract Sample Set (6)

never seen this, only in sheet form... how do you use it?

Where did you originally buy them from? I can not get these now. But in the future I would probably get a few to play around with.
    I make cool stuff out of things that were, forgotten, tossed and thrown away.

~It ant broken, till it can't be fixed no more~ Words of wisdom, from the grease wrenching queen.
    www.sweating-the-details.com
    Youtube channel; powered by estrogen
    Instagram; sweating the details

I used it by placing a very very small amount on the graphite marver, and place the barely molten almost finished piece onto it (kind of like a gather into a layer of silver filings). I then use a separate gather of clear to coat the dichro powder. It is important not to put the flame in direct contact with the dichro to avoid burnout. Once the dichro is on the finished piece, then only the clear coat gather is heated and pressed over the dichro to lock it in and protect it. There is also a tut that glasscraft put out where the artist etched/sand blasted a design, and filled the grooves with glue and the dichro powder, then coated the dry dichro with clear powder and melted it gently way out in the bushy flame.

I originally bought the sample pack from the local stain glass store who caters mostly to fusers and slumpers and bead ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by matrixmechanics View Post
    Where did you originally buy them from? I can not get these now. But in the future I would probably get a few to play around with.
    D&L art in Denver has them. They ship.
    Just got some to use like frit in 75x5, just get it to stick and than do a traditional vac stack.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Diesel View Post
    D&L art in Denver has them. They ship.
    Just got some to use like frit in 75x5, just get it to stick and than do a traditional vac stack.
    That's a wicked tech, never thought of that.

I imagine that could really eat up the expensive dichro fast or maybe clump it in one spot, do you mix the dichro powder with clear frit first, then get that to stick to the inside?

Or just put a small amount in the tube and give it a shake to spread, then heat to stick?

Quote Originally Posted by metalbone View Post
    That's a wicked tech, never thought of that.

I imagine that could really eat up the expensive dichro fast or maybe clump it in one spot, do you mix the dichro powder with clear frit first, then get that to stick to the inside?

Or just put a small amount in the tube and give it a shake to spread, then heat to stick?
    Small amount, spin it around while heating till it stick and than proceed with the rest of vac stack. I'm thinking of the same with a blow in tech.

That would be sweet. Some of the extract is more like shavings than a powder, so if you do a blowin, it might give some cool effects from trapped air at each grain location.

I usually get this at Sunshine Glass
    http://sunshineglass.com/rcol/b_fusi...extract-36.htm

pending to Skipjack

Sorry if this is a thread hijack, but I just thought I'd mention something I heard at a "bead lady" Christmas party:

You can send items to CBS for coating with dichroic. You send enough for them to wire in the frame they use for the dichroic disks, and they will charge the same price as they do for the same dichroic disk (price varies according to the coating you choose).

Thank you guys for the information. I have bookmarked those sites.
    I make cool stuff out of things that were, forgotten, tossed and thrown away.

~It ant broken, till it can't be fixed no more~ Words of wisdom, from the grease wrenching queen.
    www.sweating-the-details.com
    Youtube channel; powered by estrogen
    Instagram; sweating the details

Quote Originally Posted by Skipjack View Post
    Sorry if this is a thread hijack, but I just thought I'd mention something I heard at a "bead lady" Christmas party:

You can send items to CBS for coating with dichroic. You send enough for them to wire in the frame they use for the dichroic disks, and they will charge the same price as they do for the same dichroic disk (price varies according to the coating you choose).
    Now that is what I call service. Did the bead ladies says whether it was limited to flat glass or get into any details on what they have had CBS coat for them?

Backup dibs. If skip decides he doesnt want it id take it, thanks.
    Without love in the dream
    It will never come true

Sorry, even though it was just a couple of days ago, I don't remember the details. However, it wasn't flat glass pieces. The fact was mentioned by Sharon Peters, who makes sculptural beads. I think she mentioned that the objects came out looking like plastic unless they were etched or sandblasted first.

Now that is what I call service. Did the bead ladies says whether it was limited to flat glass or get into any details on what they have had CBS coat for them?

I imaging that CBS would batch the custom pieces with their production runs, which means the layers placed upon a custom piece will be determined by their prodo run.

Also, if they are running full sheets in each of their frames and they are charging by the frame, it would be pretty pricey given that dichro extract from a 8 1/8-sheet sample pack (equal to a full sheet) retails for about 2 bills. I think maybe a cheaper alternative would be to DIY irridize with a tin chloride fume or other method, carnival glass style, provided one takes proper fume avoidance precautions.

BTW, dichroextract has been shipped.

Yes, going by the Sunshine Glass prices, the sheet would be $176 to $240, depending on the coating.

I looked in her book (pamphlet), "The wild and wonderful world of Sharon Peters and her silly sculptural beads" by Jim Kervin, and the dichroic story is not mentioned in there. Also, the information is not on her (not recently updated) website, smartassglass.com, but if anyone is interested, I'm sure she wouldn't mind retelling the story. It might be interesting to look at the website to see examples of sculptural beads (and not just beads, but pieces that can be mounted in jewelry, i.e., cabochons).

I imaging that CBS would batch the custom pieces with their production runs, which means the layers placed upon a custom piece will be determined by their prodo run.

Also, if they are running full sheets in each of their frames and they are charging by the frame, it would be pretty pricey given that dichro extract from a 8 1/8-sheet sample pack (equal to a full sheet) retails for about 2 bills. I think maybe a cheaper alternative would be to DIY irridize with a tin chloride fume or other method, carnival glass style, provided one takes proper fume avoidance precautions.

BTW, dichroextract has been shipped.

next time i am down in OC, I can check in with CBS and get some details...who knows, maybe a tour even...

they can do dichro tube just like abr sells. i talked to them about it earlier this year, but never quite figured out if it/how much would save money, compared to just buying whats already for sale. but the benefit is choice of coatings and the type of glass its put on.

Quote Originally Posted by Shattered Dreams View Post
    they can do dichro tube just like abr sells. i talked to them about it earlier this year, but never quite figured out if it/how much would save money, compared to just buying whats already for sale. but the benefit is choice of coatings and the type of glass its put on.
    I don't know anything about dichro tubing...is the coating on the outside or inside, or both?