The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Encalmo

Default Encalmo

I've been working on my encalmo tech recently. I've been fighting cracking like crazy. In the beginning it was where sections were connected, or along a coil pot line so it was easy to understand it just wasn't melted in all the way. Now I've got a much hotter torch and I'm comfortable working the glass hot enough to fuse it all together. However now I'm randomly getting vertical cracks through sections and it's driving me nuts. It only happens sometimes so maybe it's just certain colors. So any tips or tricks on encalmo would be greatly appreciated. Attached are some of the pieces that didn't crack if need be I can dig a cracked one out of the graveyard and get a pic of it.

Default Re: Encalmo

i imagine the piece is getting too cool as you are working it. causing stress. hard to say without more details about when / how it cracks

The hotter and faster you work the less chance for cracks, and work left to right or vise versa, trying to never go backwards once you've moved forwards. Try not to cross the piece through the flame once worked, again it reverts back to my previous comment, work like writing ( left to right). Even heatbase . consistent wall thickness's
    don't wash your hands with your sammich.
    naive
    *of or denoting art produced in a straightforward style that deliberately rejects sophisticated artistic techniques and has a bold directness resembling a child's work, typically in bright colors with little or no perspective.

your linework is naive maybe try some fuming?
    GTT Phantom on Homefill
    first time on torch 07'

Thanks for weighing in so quickly you two! That's kinda what I figured the issue was. My speed is definetly getting better but still has room for improvement. I guess one of the reasons I asked here is I've asked locals none of them do a ton of encalmo but they said it could be the colors I'm using. They never went into it anymore or offer any type of explanation. I only use colors in encalmo without warnings of odd coe., or that are known for not working well with others. Are there any general rules to know when picking colors to use in an encalmo?

Quote Originally Posted by forevergrateful View Post
    Thanks for weighing in so quickly you two! That's kinda what I figured the issue was. My speed is definetly getting better but still has room for improvement. I guess one of the reasons I asked here is I've asked locals none of them do a ton of encalmo but they said it could be the colors I'm using. They never went into it anymore or offer any type of explanation. I only use colors in encalmo without warnings of odd coe., or that are known for not working well with others. Are there any general rules to know when picking colors to use in an encalmo?

every color will have a working guide of sorts, best to just understand each individual color. i havent come across too many that are incompatible.

looks like there's still some stress in the bowl area from the push (picture 2), that seal isn't too far from there either. Maybe some un even walls "sealed the deal". Just my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    looks like there's still some stress in the bowl area from the push (picture 2), that seal isn't too far from there either. Maybe some un even walls "sealed the deal". Just my guess.
    I generally do polish my bowls not sure how I missed that one. And then didn't notice it after the fact.

When picking colors, pick colors that have a similar viscosity when melted. Black and white for example, can be difficult to work together.
    "demanding respect doesn't get you shit

love your fellow man" Mute

https://www.facebook.com/brian.cesario.56

i'd suggest flame annealing after adding each encalmo section, that section and the one next to it. just for 30s to a minute.
    you will shank me later

Quote Originally Posted by FifDeez View Post
    I like the idea of burning water. Sounds mystical even tho I understand it completely.

When you can, grab a big old chunk of broken stuff and look at the wall thickness. I have always learned a lot from my scrap, more so than my successes. Post a pick if you can. We might learn a bit about you problem.
    Good luck. Be well!

Hey all thank you so much for all the responses! I gotta say I don't have FB and it took me awhile to find this forum. Prior too finding this forum there was 3 or 4 locals that were willing to answer questions and 1 or 2 people I follow on Instagram. However I was usually meet with snide comments and anger that I would waste their time asking a question. So thank you! I knew there had to be more good people in this scene!

Quote Originally Posted by fUmEsNiFfEr View Post
    When picking colors, pick colors that have a similar viscosity when melted. Black and white for example, can be difficult to work together.
    That makes sense thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by hashmasta-kut View Post
    i'd suggest flame annealing after adding each encalmo section, that section and the one next to it. just for 30s to a minute.
    That makes a lot of sense I can't believe I never thought of that.

Quote Originally Posted by kilgroth View Post
    When you can, grab a big old chunk of broken stuff and look at the wall thickness. I have always learned a lot from my scrap, more so than my successes. Post a pick if you can. We might learn a bit about you problem.
    Good luck. Be well!
    I actually went to dig through my graveyard to do this yesterday. However I forgot I through it all in a 5 gallon bucket. The only one I had were I didn't have to dig through a bucket of broken glass to look at was definetly from accidentally splashing it with the flame when taking the blow tube off. When or if (wishful thinking lol) it happens again I'll definetly post a pic

White and any dark color, can be a bitch.

Sometimes white will not have all the tin melted into the batch... It just acts gritty and tends to break off dark color, especially cobalt colors.

If you have a suspect color, try to enclamo over clear, so you have a clear core under the suspect color. It helps to keep it all happy.