The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: In a bottle

Default In a bottle

Any tips for capturing small creatures in little glass bottles.

Pro

Default In a bottle

Where the creature is too big to come out of the mouth of the bottle, e.g. add creature on flat bottom, weld bottom to already made bottomless bottle or add creature from the top and shape bottle neck.

FYI, a Google search for “Unicorn in a bottle” yields; Unicorn magic, Unicorn tears, etc. But strangely, no Unicorn semen.

Pro
    Last edited by DaveK; 12-30-2017 at 09:20 AM.

Default Re: In a bottle

Well, this is my New Year’s Resolution.

Pro

Pro

Quote Originally Posted by harpentuan View Post
    Pro
    I know. I didn't type that and not in my profile signature. Maybe "Taptalk Pro" and the Taptalk part got choped? idk

Last edited by harpentuan; 01-02-2018 at 09:16 PM. Reason: http://blog.modernmechanix.com/blows-glass-globe-around-cats/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	great.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	122.7 KB 
ID:	91853
    don't wash your hands with your sammich.
    naive
    *of or denoting art produced in a straightforward style that deliberately rejects sophisticated artistic techniques and has a bold directness resembling a child's work, typically in bright colors with little or no perspective.

your linework is naive maybe try some fuming?
    GTT Phantom on Homefill
    first time on torch 07'

Default In a bottle

Not sure if this sort of thing is worth pursuing. This was my third try. I learn something new with each time. This not something I would try to sell...yet.

Lots of people do it.

Tree percs

Rigs with sculptures inside

Bongs with sculptures inside

Scientific devices, condensers.

But no cats...
    naive
    *of or denoting art produced in a straightforward style that deliberately rejects sophisticated artistic techniques and has a bold directness resembling a child's work, typically in bright colors with little or no perspective.

GTT Phantom on Homefill
    first time on torch 07'

Quote Originally Posted by Mute View Post
    Lots of people do it.

Tree percs

Rigs with sculptures inside

Bongs with sculptures inside

Scientific devices, condensers.

But no cats...
    Maybe so, but try Googling “dragon in a bottle”, “elf in a bottle”, etc. you get a bunch of unrelated results.

I'll take your word for it...

Lmfao
    naive

GTT Phantom on Homefill
    first time on torch 07'

My fourth attempt. I guess people arn't really interested in this topic except to make jokes.

Name:	IMG_0130.png 
Views:	85 
Size:	387.7 KB 
ID:	91885

Very feasible with a lathe.

Def feasible without one too

Some bracing
    naive

GTT Phantom on Homefill
    first time on torch 07'

How small is small? I can't tell from the wood grain in the pictures

That elephant is cool. I saw a video a while back about an artist that encapsulates items and his work was outrageously clean. Sort of a documentary clip, maybe it rings a bell for someone with a better memory. There are threads about sealing pee, fries, cheese and a mouse or rat? Looks to me like you’re on the right track, keep at it.

I do what I know, I don't know what I'm doing

Quote Originally Posted by cheesebox View Post
    Very feasible with a lathe.
    Thanks but I have already more invested in tools than I will probably ever recoup. Here is a pic with a reference. Yesterday I was trying to do one of a bird layaing an egg but it fell off the punty and exploded when it hit the concrete floor. 3 hours down the drain ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Name:	IMG_0133.png 
Views:	58 
Size:	210.0 KB 
ID:	91897

For your top I'd pull a point down, and then finish it like I would a mouth piece, give you a cleaner look. Try to either blow to your desired shape, or leave the tube cylindrical, But either way don't reheat to pliability when going in to seal your creature or you'll end up with with a wonky chalice. One you have your shaping flare open the bottom with centrifugal force real quick, and then go in to your can and attach your bracing point(s). Use a very fine hand torch to tack these and do not distort your original shaping (important). With a fine flame from your bench heat your pre tacked points and creature simultaneously, but your just going for a cold seal here. Too hot and and you'll fuck it up and it's back to square one. Immediately once you've cold sealed it in take your fine hand torch and work the welds one at a time, letting each cool to solid before moving on, allowing them to act as bracing for each other. Go back to your flared section and close it down, remove excess and paddle flat.

Make sure your piece is staying warm, I didn't include steps where I would Bunsen or preheat. If you're using your kiln to bring it back up be patient, but it really only needs a couple minutes per mm. You got this!

Quote Originally Posted by H1JACK3R View Post
    For your top I'd pull a point down, and then finish it like I would a mouth piece, give you a cleaner look. Try to either blow to your desired shape, or leave the tube cylindrical, But either way don't reheat to pliability when going in to seal your creature or you'll end up with with a wonky chalice. One you have your shaping flare open the bottom with centrifugal force real quick, and then go in to your can and attach your bracing point(s). Use a very fine hand torch to tack these and do not distort your original shaping (important). With a fine flame from your bench heat your pre tacked points and creature simultaneously, but your just going for a cold seal here. Too hot and and you'll fuck it up and it's back to square one. Immediately once you've cold sealed it in take your fine hand torch and work the welds one at a time, letting each cool to solid before moving on, allowing them to act as bracing for each other. Go back to your flared section and close it down, remove excess and paddle flat.

Make sure your piece is staying warm, I didn't include steps where I would Bunsen or preheat. If you're using your kiln to bring it back up be patient, but it really only needs a couple minutes per mm. You got this!
    Yeah, the devil one really got wonky. With the elepant one I just sealed off and squared a thiner walled tube, attached a punty, poped a bubble about 2" down and trimed it square, and put the elephant in and cut darts(?) (V shapes) to remove mass where the neck should be and shaped the neck. Constricting the neck of the bottle is the trickiest part not on a blow tube. I wasn't sure what you meant by bracing points because the elephant is loose inside the bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
    I wasn't sure what you meant by bracing points because the elephant is loose inside the bottle.

Then most of what I typed up is nonsense sorry
    Without love in the dream
    It will never come true