The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: us33

Default us33

has anyone used this stuff much yet? I am thinking of making a large order of this or schott and I am trying to decide my devil since I am a pyrex guy atm..... come on mutherfuckers come on, come on mutherfuckers come on.... listening to biggie
    May I live like the lotus, at ease in muddy water

Formerly known as Skuzz

Default Re: us33

Nope. Don't do the us33

Ive been using it almost exclusively besides some Simax for fuming. I wish i had more experience with other types of glass to give you a comparison. My current opinion is it "doesnt fume as well" as Simax. When i compare the prices to the deal i get on Simax with abr it makes more sense for me to just get Simax. A few more bucks and it fumes well. I assume this also means it works better for fumey colors applied to it? Its definitely a different color glow when it heats up too.

I use the solid rods for marbles but they dont have any larger then 15mm that I have found.

I have some 32mmx4mm tube that's pretty nice to use.

Im not fussy, glass is glass.

tell me why though

Formerly known as Skuzz

Quote Originally Posted by Swim View Post
    tell me why though
    Um I don't blame my materials, its all on me when i poke that shit in the fire.

Quote Originally Posted by snoopdog6502 View Post
    Im not fussy, glass is glass.
    I would have said that in the past too.

But recently I got a pile of unwanted "schott" from another blower and I've never seen clear glass so bad. Even china clear is a sweet dream compared to this stuff, it is so shocky it's unbelievable. I'm not even sure how it was sold, even preheating in the kiln it's almost unusable, if it doesn't crack in the flame it grenades later in the kiln. The only thing I can think of is running every piece of it through an annealing cycle before even trying, the polariscope shows wicked stress in a stock tube before it's worked.

Color companies occasionally have full or parts of batches that are super shocky and problematic, obviously this can happen with clear too but I'm sure much less often.
    "Don't get me wrong gtts are nice, but I'm more about that Issac Hayes smooth talking flame over the "come here boy you got a purty mouth" prison sex flames that gtts are known for."

i bought a case of 44 from them once. several tubes have a line of air bubbles that runs the length of the tube and ruins any piece.

they wouldnt do anything about it. one and done for me. i buy schott for blow tube and punty and simax for everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by snoopdog6502 View Post
    Um I don't blame my materials, its all on me when i poke that shit in the fire.
    I was talking to boro , your a smartass, Idont value your opinion, but your free to have it

Formerly known as Skuzz

just asking because I was thinking of casing up on this as I am about to buy a shit load of r clear, and I hate schott, it looks like dick fumed for me because I am a fast fumer, I toss it on and get to work, I know some people fume well on schott, but I have not figured it out, and dont have the time too when every other clear on the market fumed fine. If the shit has stoned or bubbles , or is shocky as fuck... shockier or even like chinese I dont want it, also I dont want it if it boils like chinese, I work hot as fuck, my work is about hot hot heat, so the last thing I want is clear that boils easy when I beat it up... THis sucks to hear because I know Jack would not sell me a line of bullshit, but I wanna hear more. I am gonna buy a sample pack if I can get a discount. thanx for your input guys.

Formerly known as Skuzz

ill send you a tube of the 44x4. ive got most of the case left for sure. if you want to just pay the shipping / maybe send me one of those fumey banger hangers you make for my collection?

either way i dont care. let me know the smallest length thats ok for you. half tube? 1/4? ill happily break it down and send it to ya bud.

Shockey and boily are not qualities i would attribute to US33, and ive never noticed bubbles in it but seams yes. I think im using this terminology right. Its a line that you can feel run the length of the tube sometimes. When you spin it in your hand with a shirt around it you can feel it. I learned alot on this glass and have tried chinese before, stoped after 2 tubes of 25mm and grabbed some better glass. It handles just like simax other then for fume from what ive seen.

I havent tried it, and have wanted too. if your doing a big order it wouldnt make too much sense (to me) to go all in on something you havent tried yourself. If it was me, id get one tube of it and try it out. than you know exactly what you like.

yo jackass ill trade you for somethin, i wanna try that stuff out.

IMO it's comparable to the pyrex I've used. The 38x4 pyrex I have isn't perfect, it all seems a little off, like not perfectly round. Not uneven chords, but just like slumped haha.

FWIW, el hefe did a bunch of fuming pieces with us33. Idk if he still uses it, but he used to do a bunch of sleeving a stuff with it.
    Last edited by Foxy999; 01-25-2018 at 11:50 AM.

I've tried them all, prefer simax for marbles, I will use schott for prodo. I use US33 for memorial art, as it's softer and accepts the ash better. Everything has its place.
    Last edited by PyroChixRock; 01-31-2018 at 12:55 PM. Reason: more info
    ~Misha

I want it jack, honestly, I will buy the case if the price s right, pm me on instagram

Formerly known as Skuzz

You swim, have countless hours with fume and feedback from it on sba. You will have to start over on the us33. Its as similar to sba, but even harder to get consistent results.

Us33 is also way wonky when you chuck up a long tube. The larger sizes the more out of tolerance. Again, I'm not saying your ever going to find a strait full length of sba. You know what that stuff can look like, sometimes it wont clear the bore when its a full length tube.

The question should be " do I do enough fume to step up to a few cases of simax from Fredric and dimmock in new jersey?

Then stick with brand "x" for the rest of your production.

Also, this thread...

http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showt...t=us33+debacle

Quote Originally Posted by Swim View Post
    I was talking to boro , your a smartass, Idont value your opinion, but your free to have it
    Well feel free to whine then. I don't value your opinion either. You dont even try some glasses for yourself.

I would stongly discourage paying money for us33 glass .. The prices on US pyrex from wale .. are much less than mountain look there .. I had a case of 44 I used .. like 6 tubes of it and hated .. it .. first barry tried to just publicly belittle me .. then they had artists they sponsor try to attck me on FB .. then the guys kid calls my actual house .. on some " hey I herd you were talking shit about our glass " then trys to give me free glass to stop telling people it sucks .. ( It sucks ) ..

so fast forward to last month . .Im clearing out all my old stock of glass .. Im down to us33 and blue simax .. and old simax and china .. I desciced to use the us33 tubes so I don't have to look in the box any more .. I can now say 100% that the stuff they post pictures of that looks good .. is useing simax (old stock) to trap .. us33 is more reducing ( quicker to turn silver white ) than any other brand of clear. . IT is also super super soft . .like too soft . .think other clears move like cobalt iso ..

there are two things I think its good for .. 1 wine glass tops .. Idk why . .but i can push that shit paper thin . ( super soft ? ) the other thing its ok at .. is sleaving .. its super fucking easy to sleave with ..(soft AF ) .... the tubes are not that round .. it moves funny .. IF you have a bunch of back stock of old simax rod .. and you want to save some money on tubing .. simax to trap . on the surface looks ok .. but iso . .its all meh .. like mega meh . . the ammount of time you will waste alone trying to "make it work" .. will cost you more than you save .. don't do it . .

I literally .. no lie . . had a store owner ask me to not bring him any more glass made on it . . he told me that there are some things the Germans just do better .. im going to agree .. but Im still on the fence my self . .about where I will order from .. next or what i will order .. Sci tech in califorinia . .has the best prices on czech pyrex .. (simax) and I set up an account with them . but the the shipping to the east coast eats all the savings .. I will likely order a case of the american stuff . .and try it .. but I don't think its going to fume much better tbh . .