The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Aommaster's Progression

Default Re: Aommaster's Progression

Hi!

Quote Originally Posted by valinski View Post
    If you push the maria too hard or too often your flower will be squished flat. I am still learning how to get the desired effect more regularly but it really comes down to how often and how hard you push. Ron Bearers "Boro Implosion Designs" helped me a lot especially his tips on color combinations and stringer work are great. You can e-mail him to get a pdf-copy.
    It's very likely I was pushing a lot. How do you deal with the divot that starts to form at the center of the maria once you start imploding?

The PDF sounds really good. How much does this PDF cost?

Quote Originally Posted by valinski View Post
    "Livering" (i.e. brown haze) is a common problem with copper based rubies if you overheat the glass, what type of flame did you use? There is a video on working with this color on TAGs website.
    I'll check the video out! I believe I was using a neutral flame to work it.

Quote Originally Posted by aommaster View Post
    It's very likely I was pushing a lot. How do you deal with the divot that starts to form at the center of the maria once you start imploding?

The PDF sounds really good. How much does this PDF cost?
    Do not to work too hot. Your flame shouldn't be too large. Concentrate your flame on the side of the disk. When the pattern starts to flatten out heat the bottom of the disk to close the pattern without melting more glass from the edges.
    I think you'll get the pdf plus a few other tutorials for 20$.

Name:  Marble_0013.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  48.9 KB

Hi!

Just wanted to give an update with regards to my implosions. I'm actually really excited because the advice Valinski gave me was spot on. This was my deepest implosion ever and it looks great! Still needs a lot of work with regards to colors and the pattern, but the deeper implosion makes it look more organic.

For those that want a few more details, here are a few things I noticed. The marble I made is small (0.5") and took me about an hour to make because I was trying different things. Hopefully it'll save someone some time.

1. The flower opens up when you press against your graphite pad. The more you press, the more the flower opens.
    2. If you want to remove the divot that forms as you're heating the maria by using the pad, make sure the maria barely touches the pad. Remember the goal is to get rid of the divot, not press the maria down (which will open up the flower). By having the maria barely touch the pad, the molten glass will automatically flow into position. You'll actually want to exert an upward force to counteract gravity so the maria doesn't flatten under the weight of the rod and the gather.
    3. When heating the sides of the maria, the rod needs to be almost horizontal. This causes the implosion process being significantly slower, but you'll end up with a deeper implosion. I think you can speed up the process by using some more heat but I still have to try it out.
    4. You can "reset" the shape of your maria and remove the divot by moving your elbow down and heating the sides of the maria. This will obviously change the shape of your maria and you can only do this maybe 2-3 times before it will start to deform the shape of your flower. Also, I find you will need to press pretty hard after you do this process to get a flat face on the maria again. What I did find though is the flower does not open up as much as it would normally. This is because moving the elbow down causes the flower to close a little. Pressing just undoes this. I still need to experiment a lot more with this to see how useful it is, but just throwing it out there.

Now, one more question: How do I get tiny "veins" on the petals of the flower? Do I need to use a cane?

What I tried for this one is apply the purple, then flatten it until the face of the maria was flat. Then I applied a small stripe of red (and also a few dots on other petals). But it doesn't seem to be giving me the results I'm looking for.

Nice Fai. I am glad the tips helped.

Quote Originally Posted by aommaster View Post
    Now, one more question: How do I get tiny "veins" on the petals of the flower? Do I need to use a cane?

What I tried for this one is apply the purple, then flatten it until the face of the maria was flat. Then I applied a small stripe of red (and also a few dots on other petals). But it doesn't seem to be giving me the results I'm looking for.
    To get striped petals you have to use twisted cane/ stringers. There are a few different methods to make twisted cane and pull stringers (melt together two color rods - for example black and white - and twist as you pull the stringer etc.).

For this pendant:

Pendant.jpg

I drew a few stripes of NS Unobtainium on a rod of chinese white:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1352.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	92619

then encased it in Gold Ruby. This was a part of the pulled twisted stringer:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1353.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	2.07 MB 
ID:	92620

The petals seem to be "toothed" because of the clearer color I used to encase the cane.

Nice work!

Name:  Marble_0014.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  53.1 KB

Thank you so much for all your advice valinski! The piece above is my latest attempt at an implosion. I made a cane (without the outer encasement) to try it out and it looks great, considering the colors I used.

The implosion is fairly deep, although not perfect. I'm still having a few issues getting large gathers to form into perfectly symmetric marias, but I think that is more of a practice/experience thing rather than an actual technical issue.

Hello everyone

I've recently gotten back and noticed the forum is not very active. I'll post some progression pics in the hope that people can provide me with advice.

I'm trying to up my marble game again. This is the second vortex marble I made since I got back.
    Name:  20211006_170636.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  76.7 KB

I made a few mistakes and I have a few ideas on how to improve my technique for my next attempt.

I also tried to make a space marble. This is what I have so far:
    Name:  20211006_205511.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  50.7 KB

This is what I'm trying to go for (in fact, these were the pieces that inspired me to get into glassworking in the first place):
    Name:  planets-1.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  92.1 KB

I'm fairly happy with my fuming pattern (I can make a few tiny improvements on it), although suggestions how to improve it are greatly welcome. However, the one part I'm not sure about is the purple near the bottom of the piece. Is that gold fume? When I tried fuming gold over a black backing, I got a really ugly brown-like color. Nowhere near the vibrant purples in the picture. I have been able to get pink out of gold fume, but that was only on a white backing.