The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: neon sign

Default neon sign

anyone know any good online resources for neon sign info?

im not trying to get into filling it with gas, i was thinkin id make one, than have the pros fill it up.

My boss knows i blow glass and asked me if i could make a sign for him.

I let him know that at the moment no i couldnt, but wanted to do some research. the logo he wants made is pretty simple so i think i could bend some tubing up for him and have it look pretty good.

Let me know if you guys know of a magic forum like this for that kinda stuff. Its a long shot.

I dont even know what type of glass they use, so i need to do some research.

Default Re: neon sign

Thank you so much for the link. Its a pretty big project for me! I can’t imagine how many tries I will go through. On to be humbled once again by the glass gods! I’ll post pictures when I do make some attempts

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CB8FA689-464A-4FE3-A53A-4F7ADC899E50.jpeg 
Views:	10 
Size:	3.67 MB 
ID:	92446
    First try at the sign, I’m gonna take it to a neon guy and see what all I need to do to make this functioning. You can see the sticker on the computer, that’s the logo I’m going for. I just did this one from looking at the sticker, I’m going to print off the logo tomorrow so I can get the proportions right on!

I think you did a great job!

Yeh that's reall cool, id love to make a neon sign or two. I hope i get to find out what happens next after you decide you want to have one filled with gas.

Google...
    don't wash your hands with your sammich.
    naive
    *of or denoting art produced in a straightforward style that deliberately rejects sophisticated artistic techniques and has a bold directness resembling a child's work, typically in bright colors with little or no perspective.

your linework is naive maybe try some fuming?
    GTT Phantom on Homefill
    first time on torch 07'

Well i googled "how misfit man is going to get his sign filled with inert gas" but nothing came up. Sounds like mute or what ever screen name hes going by today woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

Is that boro tubing that you bent up? Afaik, you'll need the actual neon tubing, but I'm no expert. We've got a neon shop near here and my mentor used to work neon before getting into scientific. The tubing super thin and is worked in a gas/air flame.
    "But my dear man, reality is only a Rorschach ink-blot, you know."

Instagram_______Etsy_____

Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Well i googled "how misfit man is going to get his sign filled with inert gas" but nothing came up. Sounds like mute or what ever screen name hes going by today woke up on the wrong side of the bed.
    Lol...

Try refining your key words...

U think google knows misfitman...lol

This is the funniest retarded shit I've hears u say so far...and that's saying a lot.

Shit loads of info out there.

Fuckin loser
    naive
    *of or denoting art produced in a straightforward style that deliberately rejects sophisticated artistic techniques and has a bold directness resembling a child's work, typically in bright colors with little or no perspective.

GTT Phantom on Homefill
    first time on torch 07'

Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    The simplified version is that you hook up the sign to a manifold, pull vacuum on the whole system, and then utilize that vacuum to draw in noble gasses from their storage container, through the manifold, and into the sign. There are a couple good books on neon floating around.

Both ends need to be open for starters.

Long ribbon burners for even heat
    Last edited by Mute; 04-09-2018 at 07:06 AM.
    naive

GTT Phantom on Homefill
    first time on torch 07'

Pretty sure only one end is open when you hook it up to the manifold. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to draw an effective vacuum/fill the piece

Well the short description I read specifically said it needs two openings...

And how the hell do u imagine pulling gas through a tube with a vacuum, if there is only one opening?

The gas isn't going to flow against a vacuum. It would need to be pulled in, via a different opening at the opposite end of the tube, that way it would fill the entire cavity.

If u can explain that to me I'll shut the fuck up and take a forum break for 30 days.

Because I'm being a know it all asshole
    naive

GTT Phantom on Homefill
    first time on torch 07'

Also, to the OP, in addition to needing to work in neon glass, and get it pumped, you'll need electrodes for the project.

It might be easier to do it as a boro/plasma project. You'll still need electrodes/pumping, and it's not cheap, but it might make some things easier for you

Quote Originally Posted by Mute View Post
    Well the short description I read specifically said it needs two openings...

And how the hell do u imagine pulling gas through a tube with a vacuum, if there is only one opening?

The gas isn't going to flow against a vacuum. It would need to be pulled in, via a different opening at the opposite end of the tube, that way it would fill the entire cavity.

If u can explain that to me I'll shut the fuck up and take a forum break for 30 days.

Because I'm being a know it all asshole

It's hooked up to a manifold. The manifold has multiple openings that function as airlocks. The sign piece has a single hole hooked up to the manifold. The inert gasses are also attached to the manifold via "airlocks." The air is evacuated from the manifold/sign, meaning there is vacuum throughout the manifold and the sign.

At this point, the whole system is under vacuum. When you allow the inert gas into the manifold system, it is drawn by vacuum into the manifold/sign. The sign has one hole. The manifold is what allows everything to function.

See you in 30 days?

Name:	neon_manifold2.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	92447

I found a guy locally that will fill it for 50 bucks, assuming its solid. And he pointed me in a direction where i can get an electrode specifically for boro, So you may be right on the boro/plasma thing oneiros. So mute, lets say i need another opening, Ill fkn slap a t seal on the back and BOOM, two openings. In reality this is my rough draft either way, thats why i made it, So i can take it to the guy at the neon shop and he can have a good laugh about all the easier ways i could have done that.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneiros View Post
    It's hooked up to a manifold. The manifold has multiple openings that function as airlocks. The sign piece has a single hole hooked up to the manifold. The inert gasses are also attached to the manifold via "airlocks." The air is evacuated from the manifold/sign, meaning there is vacuum throughout the manifold and the sign.

At this point, the whole system is under vacuum. When you allow the inert gas into the manifold system, it is drawn by vacuum into the manifold/sign. The sign has one hole. The manifold is what allows everything to function.

See you in 30 days?

Name:	neon_manifold2.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	92447
    Fuck...

Peace out then bitch.

Is thus what it takes to get results...?

One must coax the info out of those who obtain it by shit talking?

It would've been nice to have the info u obviously had to answer dudes questions.

Would have saved u typing

Would have made u look like a better person.

Oh well guess I can't have it all.

By by
    naive

GTT Phantom on Homefill
    first time on torch 07'

Quote Originally Posted by Mute View Post
    Fuck...

Peace out then bitch.

Is thus what it takes to get results...?

One must coax the info out of those who obtain it by shit talking?

It would've been nice to have the info u obviously had to answer dudes questions.

Would have saved u typing

Would have made u look like a better person.

Oh well guess I can't have it all.

By by

I'm so confused as to what I did wrong or withheld here, it's not even funny. Here is the first post, I made when the topic came up:

"The simplified version is that you hook up the sign to a manifold, pull vacuum on the whole system, and then utilize that vacuum to draw in noble gasses from their storage container, through the manifold, and into the sign. There are a couple good books on neon floating around."

It's literally a simplified version of what I went on to type.

I'm no expert so I don't speak in certainties, but I have spent some time in a neon shop and my business partner/mentor used to do neon in addition to having some of his boro work pumped with plasma. I don't get why you always need to be seen as some authoritative expert. Makes it kinda hard to have a real meaningful conversation...or at least adds a bunch of unnecessary "loudness," imo.

See you in May

ohh ok Oneiros, special tube makes sense. I bet they do use a air/gas flame, mine works nice for bending 12mm tube. Wow 50 bucks to fill and you still gota hook up all the other stuff? Like i said before i cant wait to see what happens.