The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9

Thread: Anyone else ever consider getting a "real job"?

Default Re: Anyone else ever consider getting a "real job"?

OMG.

NOMAD you're already about to get banned again. ONE POST! How about one post per thread per day, with a limit of 6 threads/posts a day. You go over it you get your next ban. I don't know what else to do to get through to you. This is not how forums work. You need to adapt a strategy to follow forum etiquette if you want to participate.
    ~Misha

Yes I have to learn how to answer more than one quote per post.
    Or I am just going to stop answering them.
    And just stop posting altogether.

I started making glass beads and windows when I was in high school. Got into boro after upgrading my torch senior year and started making pipes. It was then I found what I am passionate about in life. I kept making pipes throughout my 5 years in college. In my junior year of college I got on as a student assistant for an agency within state govt. It was a chill job with A LOT of downtime I used to do homework and really relaxed MGMT. In my senior year I got picked up full time in a position at the same agency. Ive now been working with glass in one form or another for 15+ years and have almost a decade in with state govt. Ive been really happy keeping my passion (glass) as my playtime, BUT I'm sure if it were my fulltime gig id b a MUCH better artist. but that's the rub huh?

J
    "LIve to Love, lOve tO lIve"

what with costs being so damn high (mainly oxygen), i've quit glass full time, and am currently looking for a job. i'm torn between part time or full time. i'll probably need full time in order to get the health insurance, but most of the jobs around here are factory work, and i'll be dog tired come quitting time & weekend.
    if i can purchase state insurance at a decent price, i'll end up going the part time route, and that will allow me to still put a lot of hours into glass.
    You shouldn't be having sex for pleasure, only for reproduction.
    Thousands of people read my threads now. So I’m trying to not embarrass myself.

i simply work more and more there are no jobs here
    May I live like the lotus, at ease in muddy water

Formerly known as Skuzz

Nevada has record low unemployment, LOTS of work available here in Reno but housing is really tight.
    I do what I know, I don't know what I'm doing

No jobs just hustle in New York. I mean it a constant thing. Hustling glass all day.

I’m glad we’re still talking about banning nomad 10yrs later!

I stopped chasing side income in glass and focused on new hobbies and lab work. I miss it, but my bank account, wrists and eyes don’t. Power to all you prodo people, but it’s never to late to learn new skills in a new industry.

That's exactly what I'm doing!

I'm almost 1/2 way through my first semester in Machining. School's nothing like I remember. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by β View Post

I stopped chasing side income in glass and focused on new hobbies and lab work. I miss it, but my bank account, wrists and eyes don’t. Power to all you prodo people, but it’s never to late to learn new skills in a new industry.
    Kristian Turley GLDG Forum Founder
    Old School Glass
    ┌П┐(◉_◉)┌П┐

Quote Originally Posted by β View Post

Nomad did get banned for awhile, and has been following forum etiquette since. Please keep the thread on topic.
    ~Misha

I guess I should have read this before asking questions in a new thread. Seems we all got old. Misha is absolutely right about trade jobs. Thats where I ended up, plumbing. There is a massive shortage of people willing to work these types of jobs. If any of you young guys aren’t superstars fast, go to school while you torch, don’t expect it to last forever.

Default Anyone else ever consider getting a "real job"?

It seems I made it through the hard part. Raised 3 kids to adulthood on bats, spoons, sherlocks...

Most nights, after making my quota, I would make one art piece, and consign it. (Art market is rough) So many times, it would sit in the store, not sell, and come back a few years later.

After multitudes of soul crushing failure, my art slowly started to sell. Cut to 22? years into my career, and I have enough art orders, consistently, to take up 95% of my melting time. (Melt every day for at least 8 hours) I was never the best glassworker or most skilled, but persistence paid off. I’ll still work til I die, but I’m here now, happy, and still raging the flame.
    Last edited by Mac Maestro; 10-14-2018 at 01:58 AM.

Hats off to you Maestro! You totally rock doing what you have done.
    I sacrificed my actual torch time to open a retail gallery/gift shop, and now have decided to close my brick & mortar retail venue and go back to a more mobile lifestyle so I can actually spend my time creating. My future biz plan is online sales, wholesale or consignment & festivals in locations where I want to be. It’s tough being chained to a retail shop where the majority of your time is spent being a sales clerk/manager if you don’t make enough money to hire help. My kids are long grown & gone, so I’m ready enter a more free to roam about phase of life!

Thanks Gypsea! Congrats, and good luck on your new adventures and freedom.

I’m going to miss making art for gypsea. I make a lot of pipes now.
    I will have to look out for more stores on the site.