I got involved with 3d printing a few years ago and got my first ever "real" job at an engineering company within a month of having my son 2 1/2 years ago. I love art and glassblowing but as many people here know being dependent on glass for money is not only difficult, but it also sucks the fun out of it. Taking a shot and applying for this job was a great decision monetarily and mentally. After years alone in the studio beating myself up its nice to have a structured team and do what your told without having to think too hard or be too personally invested in it like running a glass shop. Glass materials are expensive!!! I am just a technician not making great money but is consistent instead of having to wait to chase some Instagram kid or store down for your cash. I think the market itself is part of the problem. "potheads" are not exactly the most reliable or well off group of people out there. Stores are great, but they are struggling with the same issues with instagram, imports etc and cant support every glassblower on the block. Its hard to put faith in that for the future.

Hope this wasn't negative its not meant to be. Diversify. Follow Dreams. Get Educated. There are plenty of glassblowers who will make it just fine and they must work hard, have incredible talent, and also be great salesmen. If you cant excel at these things then maybe its time to try something else at least part time. This doesn't mean sell your torch and lathe. I never will! M