The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else ever consider getting a "real job"?

Default Re: Anyone else ever consider getting a "real job"?

This subject came up offline recently but slightly different. What lampworking skills would translate to a different industry for better pay? I thought of welding and fabrication; torches, heat treatments, assembly, planning, SAFETY mindset. What else (that would offer better pay) can glass blowers smoothly transition to, assuming no other significant knowledge or training? Manufacturing in general for sure but specific ideas or areas?
    I do what I know, I don't know what I'm doing

Living the fucking dream man.

I make mid-range spoons ($12-$25) and sell them to a distributor. Yes, I take a 30% loss, but that is justifiable by me not having to spend a couple of days a week to go sell and not having the expenses of traveling to sell. My local market sucks. I would have to drive up to 4-5 hours away to sell my glass consistently.

My thing is the selling price to working expenses (and cost of living) is so narrow now. We can only, physically, make so much.

I'm 43... Realistically, I've only got 20-25 or so more working years left in me. I'm trying to consider my future and retirement. This type of planning is something that I won't achieve with glass.

I'm considering taking classes to be a machinist. Possibly CNC. I like working with my hands.

One issue is that, being self employed for so long, I'd have to go into ANY job at an entry level position. Companies don't consider our line of work as experience. School is really the only option for finding a job.

My degree in business administration is outdated and wouldn't count towards anything anymore (with a job or school).

Last edited by KT-Old School Glass; 07-11-2018 at 05:14 AM.
    Kristian Turley GLDG Forum Founder
    Old School Glass
    ┌П┐(◉_◉)┌П┐

I have been very busy ever since I went to college. Things I learned in art school really helped.
    I’m stressed though. I have a lot of work to do.

Quote Originally Posted by KT-Old School Glass View Post
    I'm considering taking classes to be a machinist. Possibly CNC. I like working with my hands.
    Definitely CNC. Thats my shop, the present and the future of manufacturing. There is nearly zero demand for manual machinists, cnc requires the knowledge but nobody gets hired to turn handles full time any more.
    I do what I know, I don't know what I'm doing

Trades seem to be in high demand, electrician, plumber, welder, etc. I would love to give up corporate America and do glass. Hard to make my salary in glass though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
    Definitely CNC. Thats my shop, the present and the future of manufacturing. There is nearly zero demand for manual machinists, cnc requires the knowledge but nobody gets hired to turn handles full time any more.
    Yea, damn few new machinist can run manual machines, take away their computer and they are worthless. There is plenty of need for manual machinist but if you neet to have the prerequisite skills of related things like welding ,heat treatment ,hydraulics, bearing and seal tolerances and preload , plumbing, wiring and all the skills associated with a millwright.

CNC tends to get you a mindless production job where you make the same parts all day every day,a button pushing monkey.
    If you are real sharp you end up doing set up and programming.

Quote Originally Posted by snoopdog6502 View Post
    Yea, damn few new machinist can run manual machines, take away their computer and they are worthless. There is plenty of need for manual machinist but if you neet to have the prerequisite skills of related things like welding ,heat treatment ,hydraulics, bearing and seal tolerances and preload , plumbing, wiring and all the skills associated with a millwright.

CNC tends to get you a mindless production job where you make the same parts all day every day,a button pushing monkey.
    If you are real sharp you end up doing set up and programming.
    The classes I'm looking at are for a degree that covers manual and CNC with a basic welding class.

Old School Glass
    ┌П┐(◉_◉)┌П┐

$12-$25 each sounds pretty good to me.

The classes I'm looking at are for a degree that covers manual and CNC with a basic welding class.

I took CAD , welding and machine shop intro in 1991 and more advanced class in the same areas for 5 quarters and it helped a lot. I never had a problem getting a lob.

I bet you would love it, go for it. Vocational class are mostly Lab classes where you learn hands on. The book work is nominal, its out in the shop where you get the fun stuff.

I make mid-range spoons ($12-$25) and sell them to a distributor. Yes, I take a 30% loss, but that is justifiable by me not having to spend a couple of days a week to go sell and not having the expenses of traveling to sell. My local market sucks. I would have to drive up to 4-5 hours away to sell my glass consistently.
    This seems to be the way artists are trending from what I've seen. Trade shows have been on the downward the past few years and roads trips suck up time.

I would suggest maybe taking a look at that 30% blanket cut. There are distributors out there that charge less and maybe some items can be negotiated down/up to get more money in your pocket
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    You just don't get it
    get heady

Really, news to me. I have been so busy with the trade shows. I have not noticed any difference. But I don't charge as much as you do. It would be interesting to see pictures of your work as well?

lil' rhody. i know it's small, but it's the motion of the ocean state that matters!

I was fortunate enough to find a daytime job as a Glassblower, and it was health insurance that got me looking.
    When I was married, and contemplating kids; I believed that I needed to procure some health coverage.
    Shit cums in handy as you get older, so I’ve kept the job; also work with someone who has become a very good friend of mine.
    I think one of the reasons why the industry has shot itself in the cock, as far as pricing goes, is because so many people try to make it a living before they’re equipped to, and have to slash prices in order to pay their rent, damn millennials.
    I’ve had people bad mouth my work, then blatantly copy it, and undercut me.

I used to give handjobs for money at the bus station, but my hands are getting old.
    Quote Originally Posted by itssteve View Post
    Hey jimmi if this deal were to fall through (which I doubt will happen) I'll let my lynx go for a couple cooter pics of your sis. Pm me

Quote Originally Posted by MUPH View Post

I would suggest maybe taking a look at that 30% blanket cut. There are distributors out there that charge less and maybe some items can be negotiated down/up to get more money in your pocket
    This distributor pays outright instead of consignment, that's the reason for the 30%. I've negotiated my prices as much as I can.

Old School Glass
    ┌П┐(◉_◉)┌П┐

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi The Don View Post
    I think one of the reasons why the industry has shot itself in the cock, as far as pricing goes, is because so many people try to make it a living before they’re equipped to, and have to slash prices in order to pay their rent, damn millennials.
    That's one main contributing factor. Because of the price slashing, stores have determined the max they are going to pay.

There are several times I've sold to stores that reach in their case, pull out a similar piece, and say "I paid $X for this".

Old School Glass
    ┌П┐(◉_◉)┌П┐

true though. I got this huge chain store telling me $5 max for a spoon and they have people making them locally too other than me. I was like fuck. I will sell them all my leftover milli and some wrap and rakes because I need the 100 piece minimum order this month is right. I sometimes give 20% price brakes if they buy everything also. Hate to say it but the Indian and the Chinease merchants are doing well with sales and buying into the american scean with cheap prices.

I started this convo ofer the phone with cerebus I believe. I am working on a 1500 glass order rn, and mainly the problem is, where I am making 5-45$ products and I have a distributor who takes 25% and lets me make whatever he fuck I want, I tend to suffer burnout alot. getting a lathe helped alot. I need like 100k a year though, I need thouse kind of numbers with weekends off and I need to be able to smoke weed and cuss. other wise I am flexible. I can smoke weed off the job of course. sounds crazy but why not have a world that works that way??
    May I live like the lotus, at ease in muddy water

Formerly known as Skuzz

Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
    This subject came up offline recently but slightly different. What lampworking skills would translate to a different industry for better pay? I thought of welding and fabrication; torches, heat treatments, assembly, planning, SAFETY mindset. What else (that would offer better pay) can glass blowers smoothly transition to, assuming no other significant knowledge or training? Manufacturing in general for sure but specific ideas or areas?
    Scientific glassblowing. It might be hard to find anything local but there are jobs out there. The ASGS is always looking for new members and could be a good place to start.

Really, news to me. I have been so busy with the trade shows. I have not noticed any difference.
    You don't do trade shows anymore, your distributor does. So, you use a distributor like a growing amount of artists as I said.

Optimistically, maybe more newbies will get frustrated not being able to make whatever they want, whenever they want and drop it. As the competition thins out, it could pay off for those who stuck it out. I've been getting some great deals on used gear recently as people drop out for other jobs. The purge is starting

I saw this photo on Facebook today and it ruffled some feathers with the "all china glass is made by 11 year olds" and "china glass is jank" crowd. China glass is getting good.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20180711-104223.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	92913
    You just don't get it
    get heady

They make a lot of glass in china. They actually have a huge neon sign industry. They have always known how to blow glass and well.