The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Exceptionally straight and smooth Litton HSA + Shitloads of extras

Default Exceptionally straight and smooth Litton HSA + Shitloads of extras

Hey guys! I am thinking of selling my lathe as a package deal with a bunch of extras. I have lots more pictures and videos if anyone wants to see anything specific. All of these pictures were taken within the last 24 hours (even the ones that show inside the bed and chucks).I am asking 20K OBO for the package, but i might be willing to part some stuff out. Located about 30 min outside of Philly. I am willing to ship if you arrange/pay for it. Included in the package are two custom built handle things...they bolt to the lathe and allow two strong people to carry the lathe easily, or four people to carry it really easily. It weighs about 350 lbs, we have successfully moved it with 2 people and a truck without much trouble. the handles give you something to grab on to, and allow you to keep the lathe level as you move it. I am willing to take less for the lathe by itself if you don't need all the extras, just hit me up! There's a gas saver,national hand torch, and air manifold in the pictures, but they are not included. I would be happy to give you links to the air manifold though, i think I paid $10 for the brass part, and blast shield would charge you $60. Anyway....here's what I've got:

Litton HSA - This lathe was completely refurbished by Werner Siegel about 2 years ago. If you don't know Werner, he is one of, if not the best, lathe guys out there, all the way back to the 50s/60s. This was the last refurb job that he did himself. He hand painted it Litton green, although the original paint coat (powder baby blue) is underneath. If you are interested in the original coat, kerosene can remove the Litton green paint, leaving the blue paint behind. This lathe is very straight and smooth. I am close to Salem (that offers the scientific glass program) and i have had a lot of people through my studio. I have had lots of career glassblowers (both functional and scientific) say that this is the smoothest, straightest lathe they have ever used. I take meticulous care of it, and have done AT LEAST monthly maintenance the entire time I have owned it. By monthly maintenance, I mean that I checked every thing you see Tim go over in the Litton video (where he essentially is showing how to rebuild any Litton lathe). Maintenance also means fresh oil on the ways and gears. At least every other month, I clean the built up gunk out of the gears for the firecarriage/tailstock and make sure they are oiled. This lathe runs silent. The lathe has metal fixtures for holding torches and blowhoses on both ends. The retail price on an HSA new from Litton is around 30K, and this lathe is as smooth and straight as any new lathe.

2 Scroll chucks - These are the 3" scroll chucks Mouse Machine works sells for $1000 each. They work very well, and are very straight. They are used, but in very, very good condition. I do regular maintenance on them as part of my lathe maintenance schedule. Comes with chuck key for taking the chucks off the lathe.

2 Litton Planetary chucks with stainless steel donuts - These were also refurbished by Werner, and have not been used, they still have the original tags on them. These retail for $2035 each with donuts. They are refurbished, but are in flawless condition. Comes with chuck key.

Blast Shield Torch mount for GTT - Pretty self explanatory, these cost $375 new, and this has only been used once (I hated using the bench burner on the lathe, lol)

Victor J-27 Hand Torch - These retail for around $200 refurbished. This is a pretty small flame that's awesome on the lathe. I was using this to push sharp edged marias for carb caps with ease. Although small, my shop mate was able to make a 75mm sharp maria carb cap with this torch. Additional necks (the neck and tip are one piece) are available cheap online.

Litton Annealing hand burner - These retail for $620 new. Werner gave it to me with the lathe, and I haven't ever used it. He attached a metal rod to it so that it can be inserted into the fire carriage or used with a drag bar / tool bar

1 metal arm that goes into the firecarraige for holding a bunson or other tool (in the pictures, it's the metal piece i have the small bunson zip tied to. It raises and lowers in the fire carriage with a set screw.

1 Tall single barrel bunson - The hosing on each of the bunsons is the perfect size to be held in place by the fire carriage set screw, allowing you to position the bunson in place and have it not move on the fire carriage when you move it.

1 short single barrel bunson - I have this zip tied to the metal arm, but my comments about the tall bunson also apply to the small bunson.

Vacuum pump - I used to do a lot of tube encasement, so I have a vac setup that comes with the lathe. It is pedal operated, and works GREAT. The pedal is one push to turn on, one push to turn off. They sell an identical pedal that you have to hold down, but it can be awkward you while you work, so i opted for this one. I use a custom made glass piece that fits over the vacuum connection to get the proper amount of suction. I can include that piece if you like.

I will post a second post under this one with pictures. There are lots more pictures and videos that i can give the google drive link to. There isn't a pic with the planetaries with a sign because i took most of these pics last night, and took the sign ones today. The planetaries are stored in the back of my storage room, so it was a pain in the ass to drag them out just to re take those pics. If someone is seriously interested, I would be happy to retake them so you can ensure that I have possession of them still. Thanks everyone! Also...if this sale goes through to a member here, I will donate a little money to TMP., and some money to The Glass Center (Tom and Elaine Doner / Mr. and Mrs. Wonka / AGI). Thanks everyone!

Default Re: Exceptionally straight and smooth Litton HSA + Shitloads of extras

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180919_213843.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	3.09 MB 
ID:	93228Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180919_213855.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	2.92 MB 
ID:	93229Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180919_213909.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	3.07 MB 
ID:	93230Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180919_214038.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	3.09 MB 
ID:	93231Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180919_214052.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	3.43 MB 
ID:	93232Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180920_022609.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	3.20 MB 
ID:	93233Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180920_024250.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	3.20 MB 
ID:	93234Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180920_024336.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	3.68 MB 
ID:	93235Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180920_025306.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	3.35 MB 
ID:	93236Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180920_031032.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	2.89 MB 
ID:	93237Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180920_153725.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	2.49 MB 
ID:	93238Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180920_153743.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	3.06 MB 
ID:	93239

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180920_154127.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	2.96 MB 
ID:	93240Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180920_154146.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	2.60 MB 
ID:	93241Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180920_154254.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	3.30 MB 
ID:	93242Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180920_154456.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	3.06 MB 
ID:	93243

I have videos of the lathe running, the inside of the lathe with the bed and chuck covers removed, and videos of rods and tubes spinning. PM me for links to the videos.

Gorgeous

@Lajikuhl - Thank you! I bought this machine with the intention of keeping it for the rest of my life, so I've really done anything i could for it. I'm only selling it now because I use it primarily for prep only, and i could use the cash to finance my next glassventure.

Bump! Taking offers!

Will you accept my soul as payment? Its only slightly used! Still has a lot of miles on it tho
    "LIve to Love, lOve tO lIve"

@Ness - Oh man! Unfortunately, my next for sale post is going to be me offloading some of the extra souls I have!

This is sold, guys! I do still have an unused BlastShield GTT mount. $375 new, but I'd take $350. Anyone?

Rats... someone scored hard on this lathe. That thing is a beaut!
    "LIve to Love, lOve tO lIve"

Unfortunately, my buyer no longer has the funds, so this is still available! Anyone interested in the lathe, or maybe the chucks?

would trade my u lathe fer it
    May I live like the lotus, at ease in muddy water

Formerly known as Skuzz

@Swim - Like a straight trade, or with cash on top?

Is that an aftermarket part fitted to the base at the front of the tailstock.

@Raul - Yes, When Warner refurbished this lathe, he added the shim you see there to make sure it was completely true.

That’s a long winded ad. Shorten it up.

Add from 2018?!