The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Polariscope, Hand torch, Tools, and a couple glass books on eBay

Default Polariscope, Hand torch, Tools, and a couple glass books on eBay

Just listed a few items including a really nice Polariscope, Veriflo/National 3A hand torch, a group of tools, and a couple of lampworking related books on eBay. All starting at $0.99 with no reserve. Thanks for looking and Good Luck!

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw...ass0360&_sop=1

Default Re: Polariscope, Hand torch, Tools, and a couple glass books on eBay

Quote Originally Posted by Lux View Post
    Just listed a few items including a really nice Polariscope, Veriflo/National 3A hand torch, a group of tools, and a couple of lampworking related books on eBay. All starting at $0.99 with no reserve. Thanks for looking and Good Luck!

Hey Lux, I've been curious about getting myself a polariscope. I'm curious does it work with solid, non transparent colors. Does it just work on clear glass?

Snow Diesel,
    Unfortunately, the polariscope will not work with solid opaque colors. It will work for clear and transparent colors. Darker more saturated transparents will not work as well as lighter less saturated ones. It will be useful for opaque colors when they are used next to clear sections. Any stress from incompatibility or annealing problems will show up on the clear sections. I have always had a polariscope in the shop and they are great for solving problems. I recently had a thermocouple go bad and although my controller was reading a proper annealing temperature, I had a batch of glass showing more stress than it should have. After some detective work I found the problem with the thermocouple but it probably would have gone unnoticed for some time without the polariscope. It's a really useful tool and also just a lot of fun to play around with.

Thanks for the question and please let me know if there is anything else you would like to know.

Some items end tonight. Thanks for all the interest. It is very much appreciated.