The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How is the glass world going?

Default How is the glass world going?

Hey, havn’t been here in a while and my gear is all in boxes for a few years. Somehow I ended up doing plumbing work and well it pays well. How are things going in the glass world? I’m looking at posts and there aren’t really many new posts here or anywhere else. Whats the deal? Did china finally kill us? The health hazards too extreme? I’m always kind of tempted to set up for the fun of it but idk...maybe it’s time to sell off my last torch after 20 years and let my old friend stay dead. I never posted much but this sure has me scratching my head.

Default Re: How is the glass world going?

Things are a little slow. Big shows this year in the works actually. Twice as many shows as in the past.
    But I have noticed things are a little slow. Not to mention that a lot of people are switching over to vaping.
    Plumbers make a lot of money around here. If you can do the work more power to you. I just can't stomach the mucky muck. I had to pump my septic recently thought I was going to puke.

I am feeling that up in Canada when its recreationally legal in a week, a lot of people who would never own a glass piece or a large tube especially and just used papers for discretion will be more inclined to buy nice pieces to use and display that won't get siezed by cops, or make you look like a criminal.
    you will shank me later

Quote Originally Posted by FifDeez View Post
    I like the idea of burning water. Sounds mystical even tho I understand it completely.

I agree with kut, not to mention the international market. The bc rec bud is heading for germany legally now, so im sure the need for glass will happen once they get stonned enouf. From what i gather other countries watch us pretty intently. They wont miss the big fancy top dollar pieces were smoking out of. They might have already noticed, not that we would know because we dont even know where their country is on the globe.

Ive had many pieces taken from me by authoritys growing up, befor i even knew they were made with a torch. I started rolling instead usually, glass pieces stink too bad to go undetected anywhere.

When I smoke I am really a pipe smoker. Nothing can really change that.
    My friend she smokes blunts and joints though. She is a lot younger than I am. But she has a glass collection also that is actually really nice.

i would have to say the glass game hasn't really changed much in the past 10 yrs or probably ever.

just like most markets it has its ups and downs.

Trends and ends etc.

Personally i don't think legalization in other countries is going to do much for American Glass blowers.

idk maybe if you want to be successful move to china/india and export your glass back here...lol

This whole oil deal has been really funny.

anyone who knows anything about genetics knows about snake oil.

unfortunately it will probably take a decade or two b4 all the bad gets weeded back out, but that could be prolonged by a surge of idiots/halfwits
    don't wash your hands with your sammich.
    naive
    *of or denoting art produced in a straightforward style that deliberately rejects sophisticated artistic techniques and has a bold directness resembling a child's work, typically in bright colors with little or no perspective.

your linework is naive maybe try some fuming?
    GTT Phantom on Homefill
    first time on torch 07'

Not sure I agree entirely. Legalizing never hurts anyone. People like glass because of how it functions. So they will still use it.

After seeing first hand it in Colorado, I can say that rec has not helped the glass game as many thought it would. Dispensaries are way more concerned about profit than they are with supporting American glass. I only know of one dispensary that sells American glass and people like the one-stop-shop philosophy. They can buy product and a pipe at the same store which is appealing to most Americans. Dispensaries and vape shops are opening on every corner and glass shops are adapting their product lines to accommodate by getting rid of glass cases and bringing in vapes.

It's a common thought that rec would save the pipe industry but it certainly hasn't in Colorado. Rec doesn't actually attract that many local smokers as one would think. Tourism is huge for rec states, and no one wants to spend a lot of money on a piece that they will only use for the weekend. From what I've seen, rec has only hurt the glass industry.

Vaping is killing the rig market out here as well. The rig train has left the building just as the flower bubbler market did back in the late 2000's. I'm sure the novelty will stick around, but the peak is behind us. The oil money has all but dried up and the high end sales are slowing down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    You just don't get it
    get heady

Quote Originally Posted by MUPH View Post
    After seeing first hand it in Colorado, I can say that rec has not helped the glass game as many thought it would. Dispensaries are way more concerned about profit than they are with supporting American glass. I only know of one dispensary that sells American glass and people like the one-stop-shop philosophy. They can buy product and a pipe at the same store which is appealing to most Americans. Dispensaries and vape shops are opening on every corner and glass shops are adapting their product lines to accommodate by getting rid of glass cases and bringing in vapes.

It's a common thought that rec would save the pipe industry but it certainly hasn't in Colorado. Rec doesn't actually attract that many local smokers as one would think. Tourism is huge for rec states, and no one wants to spend a lot of money on a piece that they will only use for the weekend. From what I've seen, rec has only hurt the glass industry.

Vaping is killing the rig market out here as well. The rig train has left the building just as the flower bubbler market did back in the late 2000's. I'm sure the novelty will stick around, but the peak is behind us. The oil money has all but dried up and the high end sales are slowing down.
    I think that the market is going to become more like other arts and crafts - if you're great at producing and good at selling, or great at selling and good at producing, it can be good. Otherwise, minimum wage would probably be better.
    Last edited by dustyg; 10-30-2018 at 04:55 PM.

From my side of things, it seems like I'm doing a lot more repair work (scratched or dropped eyewear) than I am selling to new blowers. Even my wholesale accounts are down for about the past six months or so. I think it's cyclical, but I'm definitely concerned about the tariffs -- next on the list is metals and rare earths, and that's going to blow the prices of color up to the stratosphere. The orange turd in the Oval Office isn't helping things very much.

I just bought 110 lbs of glass for $230 with shipping . Plus I’m busy making orders all the time 7 days a week.
    In reality I had a couple of days I get out early once in a while. So I should not call it too slow. I get tunnel vision on order after order. So if I am not back ordered for months then it’s slow.
    There is enough work. Not saying you will get rich but comfortable maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Aurelius View Post
    The orange turd in the Oval Office isn't helping things very much.
    need to get him to stop the import of chinese glass, i thought he was on that kick, less chinese crap, unless its marked up more.
    you will shank me later

I like the idea of burning water. Sounds mystical even tho I understand it completely.

I composed a long reply, but it erased.

Maybe I’m not supposed to share what I know.

In summary , I do know the glass scene continues to evolve.

I know those that put in the time succeed.

I know everything from raw material to finished product will soon be matched by Asia. People’s greed will out weigh moral conciseness.

I know the biggest flame off ever occurred in China this last calnder year.

On the upside, I see the east coast market expanding. Exactly like the beer market ten years ago. 25% microbrew top end, 75% from the mass produced cheap option. Now Including all the snobs who turned a nose to weed , until it became legal.

If your driven, If you follow your passion, nitch markets are constantly opening. Everything has a silver lining, the glass industry not excluded.

Edit:
    No more eu. No more taffy. No more gl33. No more glasscraft? Ust and moutainglass have seen lower sales (from what I heard) As we continue to receive the majority of our information/news/ interaction from different sources... This year will be a year of revolution. The ones who ride that wave as it changes, will be the successful ones. It happenes every day. As long as you evolve your style , you stand a good chance of survival. The hype last week is not the hype next week.
    Last edited by BORO; 10-10-2018 at 04:11 PM.

I don't like mountain glass's revamp of their site. It was better before imo. It stopped me from purchasing today.
    you will shank me later

I just got back from New England and I saw basic slide pieces and stuff for twice what they would sell for in the South.

Quote Originally Posted by hashmasta-kut View Post
    need to get him to stop the import of chinese glass, i thought he was on that kick, less chinese crap, unless its marked up more.
    It depends on what tariff code its imported under. And even if a 35% tariff is slapped on every piece, that raises the price by what? $0.35?

The price of cerium oxide is up nearly 250% over the past 2-3 years -- China owns or controls nearly 75% of the world deposits of the material and has been driving up the price by using supply/demand curves. The same with the didymium rare earths: neodymium and praesodymium. Those prices are up almost 400% in the past two years, and slapping a 35% tariff on that is going to make any glass didymium product extremely expensive, which will have to be passed to the consumer. At current usage rates, I'm sitting on about 18 months of inventory, and we are watching the markets very closely.

The rare earths needed for borosilicate color are getting more and more expensive as well.

Trade wars do not work.

most to all of Chinese pipes are imported as "handicrafts" and as a result are not subject to Trump's tariffs

it is and would be illegal to import drug paraphernalia so no smoking accessory it brought into US with that description, and importation of all tobacco products is very tightly regulated

in the past it was very common for Chinese pipes to be delivered to Canada, and then a Canadian company would claim they were made in Canada and export them duty free into the US under the old NAFTA rules

the major importers/distributors of Chinese raw material (clear/color rod/tube) all seem unclear how the tariffs will/are effecting the cost of Chinese raw material, one was interpreting as only quartz not boro, another says the Chinese manufacturer are relabeling/repackaging boro raw materials and claiming it is another type of glass not subject to this last round of tariffs

but seems very counter productive to the American manufacturer that the finished products from China are not having a tariff applied while the raw materials that American companies need to produce goods here are/will most likely have a tariff applied and the raw materials cost more and only logically the finished goods produced in the US will need to cost more

not sure how many people remember when Linda (Diamond Glass) had several (3-4) containers seized several years ago, the importers of Chinese goods got nervous and the amount of Chinese pipes being brought in really slowed down for a few months

imagine what would happen if 3rd street in downtown LA was raided and all the imported pipes seized

imagine what would happen if the $1,000,000 a month Grav Labs does in imported pipes came back to the American lampworker

it was maybe 10 years that US Customs was raided some stores in Florida and seized all the glass pipes, claiming that it was illegal to import the pipes and they were unable to distinguish between what was made in the US and what was illegally imported

there is no legal way to import a glass pipe with a carb into the US, it is either smuggled or falsely labeled/categorized

Quote Originally Posted by MUPH View Post
    Dispensaries are way more concerned about profit than they are with supporting American glass.
    BINGO, they sell cookie cutter pipes,look all the same,cheapo China deluxe and the manager tells me "I pay $5 for those" Implying my work is worth $5 too.

Proto here is a race to the bottom, about all it does is pay for some glass orders, there is no real profit unless I pay myself $0 Hr.

For me glass has to stay a hobby, it would never pay the bills. Iv scraped the idea of buying a lathe, I don't need a machine to help me earn China wages making $20 tubes.

Its still super fun for me after 4 years, my work turns out pretty damn nice now days. Its just not going to pay well at this point.

Default How is the glass world going?

Sad to hear this about China.
    I got some $5 spoons made from ends of tubing. Cost me nothing to make. They are small spoons. Imports are smaller now too.
    I will admit I buy pens from China for $2.50 and get $10-$15 each. It’s profitable but takes a month to get shipped.

You need to first...

Say it does make big money

2nd, open up a shop and sell the idea via lessons/students build a studio and rent spots.

3rd collect money

4th repeat

or be one of the millions of adults who live at home or off their parents
    don't wash your hands with your sammich.
    naive
    *of or denoting art produced in a straightforward style that deliberately rejects sophisticated artistic techniques and has a bold directness resembling a child's work, typically in bright colors with little or no perspective.

your linework is naive maybe try some fuming?
    GTT Phantom on Homefill
    first time on torch 07'