The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: WTB Boro stringer and flower murrini.

Default WTB Boro stringer and flower murrini.

Hello fellow Melters, I've come to pick your brains about stringer and murrini!

So, after spring cleaning my garage, I realized that I'm no longer using any COE104 glass to make things and am exclusively using Boro for torchwork. Thing is, as much as I'm over soda-lime, theres a lot of stuff available in 104 that I really like having - like ready-made stringer, noodles and murrini.

I spent a LOT of time online yesterday trying to find a place that does stringer, or murrini that doesn't depict Bartman or Aliens. Nothing against Bartman or Aliens - I appreciate the skill needed to create those murrini - they're just not my cup of tea. I'm more into flowers, or cool geometric shapes.

Yes, I could probably pull my own stringer, and actually made some rose murrini yesterday - but it takes hours, and I'd rather spend my time creating things than making the ingredients to make things, if you know what I mean ;-)

So, do you have any recommendations for stores that do a decent selection of COE33 stringer and murrini? Any suggestion gratefully received. I'm planning on making glass 'sugar skulls' in the near future, so need appropriate murrini and stringer to decorate them.

Thanks in advance! 'pullet

Default Re: WTB Boro stringer and flower murrini.

First I thought of groups on Facebook....

But I don't do face book.

Mountain glass sells some glass alchemy color in "stringer" form. (Kinda fat still, 5mm?)

Then I thought about a bunch of different cats I know who make all types of milli.

I think I got the answer for that type of milli.

I would contact Ben Birney (sp?) He runs "Global Glass" in lancing Michigan. He makes that crazy d.n.a. cane and lots of geometric milli. I would tell you how to make d.n.a. cane, but then I would have to kill you.

I can't guarantee he has any to sell. He has sold me some in the past.

https://www.instagram.com/globalglassworks/

Oh my! Those murrini are awesome and exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for :-)
    Sadly, I don't think they're selling anything at the mo, but thinks for the link!

I'll go check out the Mountain Glass stringers, but have a feeling i'll prolly have to pull it myself after all.

I really appreciate the prompt reply, thanks!

If you do Facebook join the MACA group, Millefiore, Artists, Collectors, Addicts group.

Thanks! I've asked to join, so here's hoping

i haven't heard of boro pre-pulled stringer being sold.. but.. i haven't thought about that for years either. is someone really doing them?

there are so many different techniques for stringer use.. they all have a pretty ideal size window. some people use almost hair thin stringers, others want 2mm diameter. i'd be interested in knowing what diameter range and length you'd want.. what color palette, and approximate weights.

i've done some bulk stringer pulling in the past, and it was just about fun enough to want to do it for a few days and be paid for it. (longest stringer was well over 90 feet.. and yes it took two people, no, it was not hair thin.)

--seth
    ---seth

Click the link for Stainless Steel V2 double swivels, silicone blowhose boots, Blowhose Holster, silicone blowhoses, and the Infini-V roller constriction V:
    www.etsy.com/shop/firekistglass
    here are some reviews and stuff:
    http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showt...hlight=swivels

Honestly, at the moment I'm not sure of the ideal width. I've just ordered a Perlenpresse sugar skull brass press, so don't know the exact dimensions or the delicacy of the stringer needed to decorate the skulls themselves.

Most of it would be made into murrini anyway, as further skull decoration. I've made a couple of simple rose murrini already with full-width cane, but my torch is fairly small (GTT Scorpion) and a cane bundle a couple of inches in diameter takes an ungodly amount of time to heat up enough to pull it! I'm just looking to shorten the melt time by using thinner cane in the bundle.

LOL on the stringer pulling! I take glassblowing in the Fall at my local college and we spend an afternoon making our own cane/stringer/twisties. Its always a challenge to see how long we can get it before we lay it onto the paddles to cool. I'm not great at it when its that big, but some of my classmates have definitely come within striking distance of 90ft, well outside the doors of the hot shop and into the parking lot...

As far as I can tell, no one is doing them for sale - either stringer or murrini. If I get any good at it, I'll have to consider selling them myself ;-)

I'm in Michigan/ lancing this week, with plenty of color to trade. I will go see what's around. ( No promises. )

Pulling your own stringers will undoubtedly make the act of decorating the skulls easire when it comes time to do so. Youll be able to choose your own widths and colors. Also a hell of a lot cheaper. Youll also screw up alot less stringers ( and skulls ) if you know how each color likes to be worked. All those hours spent pulling stringers will add to your skill base which is good because in glass cutting corners doesnt get you very far.

I work exclusively in boro.

I usually have more flower murrine, but it is available here:
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/shawntucke...on_id=20798151
    Right now I just have roses, but I'll try to get more over the next few weeks.

I also have eye murrine here:
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/shawntucke...on_id=16172520
    And here
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/shawntucke...on_id=18262749

https://www.etsy.com/shop/ShawnTuckerGlass <-- Art Glass and Lampworking Tools
    http://shawntuckerglass-com.3dcartstores.com/ <-- Pipes and Dabbers

If Speedingpullet wants to send me a p.m. I have axis to global glass this week. I'm getting some anyways, that's why im offering. Im not aginst keeping it all, I can easily find a use for this prep.

Thanks so much for the offers, both BoRo and Shawn Tucker!

I'm still waiting on the press, plus life is crazy at the mo - so I'll take a raincheck for the moment, but appreciate you guys helping me out!

I'm also sort of fascinated in trying to make my own murrini now that I've discovered that very few people do it. I guess I got a little spoiled by the huge availability of stuff like that in 104. Though I keep forgetting that color boro is a pretty new thing and doesn't have ancillary components/makers that soft glass has.

Thanks all y'all!

Some pictures of global glass milli / line tube/ and DNA cane. It's not the fanciest of DNA cane out there, but I dig the nova core.

I made this at a secret fortress in lancing. Alex Vicnair did the re-balls. Pee Twice did the shape/assembly. I did the attachments. Drew cups did the fume for the marble, I twisted said marble up.

Custom greasy glass (very limited released) The copper color is called cowbell. Its satin CFL copper to pink. The other color only has a in house r.n.d. name. (Unreleased) Satin white for the lip wraps. Every color on this is super bling bling.

I'm going to keep this one for a travel piece. It's super small in person. My little friend earned the name "scar face" for obvious reasons. I don't think you can tell on the front. You can tell on the rear if you know what to look for.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181117_151806.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	93349

Name:	20181117_144220.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	2.27 MB 
ID:	93350

Name:	20181117_144053.jpg 
Size:	2.67 MB 
ID:	93351

Name:	20181117_144228.jpg 
Size:	2.31 MB 
ID:	93352

Name:	20181117_144006.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	2.80 MB 
ID:	93353

Name:	20181117_151946.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	93354
    Last edited by BORO; 11-18-2018 at 06:07 PM.

Gorgeous dude! I recongnized the Lansing flavor as soon as I saw it . Those colors look sweet together on there.

Agreed!

I wish I had better pictures. It's so much more bling in person.

I saw the IG pictures today too, they looked great!