The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Pre made bails

Default Pre made bails

I’m finally creating some decent pendants , pendants that I finally feel confident about giving as gifts to friends or even wearing myself until it’s time to make the bail and then I go and mess up all my hard work , my question is if I made my bails in advance would I need to anneal them until I used them in my work or would they be ok waiting in line on a punty until required , and do any of you do this .
    My bails are hit or miss , I would just rather kill all my hard work with them and get the bail done first.

Default Re: Pre made bails

Depends on the kiln u use. I would work hot out of the kiln if possible or bunsen before attaching. Especially if you never annealed. To make the loops I heat glass up and bend around a bar so it makes a nice round form. It is easier than free hand.

If it's just another pendant I free hand my loops but if it's a nice one I don't want any chance of messsing up. I'll make my loops on like a 5mm punty, Make it perfect then switch to a cold punty on the topside of the bail. Then bench cool it. When it comes time to put them together I heat everything up in the kiln first

With small solid work with no acute angles , its easy to use off the bench. Preheat with a large bushy cold flame and then stick your pre-made bails on, straight off the bench, or out of the kiln on a punty, either way.
    you will shank me later

Quote Originally Posted by FifDeez View Post
    I like the idea of burning water. Sounds mystical even tho I understand it completely.

do you "need" to? Maybe, maybe not. If you get away with it, you don't need to. If the stuff breaks, then you need to heat it up slowly.
    don't wash your hands with your sammich.
    naive
    *of or denoting art produced in a straightforward style that deliberately rejects sophisticated artistic techniques and has a bold directness resembling a child's work, typically in bright colors with little or no perspective.

your linework is naive maybe try some fuming?
    GTT Phantom on Homefill
    first time on torch 07'

here's a little trick if you suck at making bails (or, better way to put it, if you need to practice making bails lol).

assuming you have bead mandrels and bead release, make a ton of fat clear donut (spacer like) beads. anneal them, and clean out the bead release. then keep them in the kiln at all times....when you need a bail/hook for a pendant, just pull one out on a punty and weld up. works a charm
    You shouldn't be having sex for pleasure, only for reproduction.
    Thousands of people read my threads now. So I’m trying to not embarrass myself.

We built all the orderments at the "2300*" corning party the same as the o.p. describes.

" a perfect loop bail, attached to a punty on top with a cold seal. " -Rez Cash.

At corning we had cups with a few hundred bails in each. Never anneled. Some orderments were batch anneled after, some never were anneled. Most orderments had no hole so they were sealed. Everyone survived. (Minus the few that were dropped)

I wish I had a better pic. The clear glass in the foreground is about 30 bail loops, each with a inch of 5mm for the connection.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2018-12-26-12-40-11.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	798.0 KB 
ID:	93479
    Last edited by BORO; 12-26-2018 at 10:45 AM.

orderments? three times. what is that?
    you will shank me later

Quote Originally Posted by FifDeez View Post
    I like the idea of burning water. Sounds mystical even tho I understand it completely.

Quote Originally Posted by hashmasta-kut View Post
    orderments? three times. what is that?

probably a phone error
    don't wash your hands with your sammich.
    naive
    *of or denoting art produced in a straightforward style that deliberately rejects sophisticated artistic techniques and has a bold directness resembling a child's work, typically in bright colors with little or no perspective.

your linework is naive maybe try some fuming?
    GTT Phantom on Homefill
    first time on torch 07'

Sure. Whatever y'all say. Hollow pendants.

My lack of english drove me to the arts

Quote Originally Posted by BORO View Post
    Sure. Whatever y'all say. Hollow pendants.

My lack of english drove me to the arts
    My phone keyboard's driving me to drink.
    Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around, and desert you.