The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: A better rim job

Default A better rim job

So one thing I still can barely do after years of trying is make a perfect rim on a wine/drinking glass. I have no problem if it's thicker glass and I'm making a jar or something. But when I go big and thin there is always imperfections on the rim. Does anyone have any tips to make it perfect. Is the trick just to use a lap wheel on the rim? I've been thinking about purchasing one to try..

Default Re: A better rim job

It's hard indeed, I dont have a vid, but it's kinda like the lady on the lathe right here. https://www.instagram.com/p/Bh9_YJ1F...d=heu5w4w020jd

I've tried popping a small holes and flaring it out but the bubble has to be perfect to get decent results. I've also tried a something similar to that lathe video where I pull off the top of the bubble and then flare also. Also that lathe video is pretty thick glass and thick glass is just way easier to get a good rim imo

The best people I know.... Like my hero's, usually use a saw and or a lap.

I'm not saying good rims can't happen, it's just risky on big expensive projects.

I know that Robert michelson video from Salem, was a grawl piece, he has a good method.

I know if I have no lip wrap I get it close to perfect as I can , using trim/cup/duckbill sheers. Then when it's close and about the size opening of a quarter... Heat and flare.

If I do have a lip wrap, it's small like a dime opening or smaller .... Wrap the perfect lip. Make sure to trim the overlap or swipe it with cold clear rod. It will never look as clean if you clean up the overlap with the same stringer /color you made the lip with. Idk why it just is.

Also, at corning last week, I learned duckbills are not just so you don't poke the cup. Duck bills are like a samurai soward, the curve helps make the cut. If it's strait blade you have to pull slightly as you cut. (To mimic that curve) I never considered it, but the lesson proved invaluble.

Looking for that link now

Edit:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Lprij4Ge2Uc

Also, if your bubbles are uneven weight, work hotter. My heros usually work silly hot. You get more perfect prep, it happens faster. I usually make the bubble perfect walls at least once before it gets added to a build, and always puff and shrink after its added (making wall weight perfect and even before I blow out a hole. ) some people need a blow hose, it makes your work cleaner... I still don't usually use one. (Facepalm)
    Last edited by BORO; 12-27-2018 at 12:40 PM.

There's a cracking off technique too that I still think is dark magic.

Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around, and desert you.

keep the heat at the edge only, don't go into the cup body at all. A thin top you need the heat carefully pointed not to overheat too much down below the top lip.
    you will shank me later

Quote Originally Posted by FifDeez View Post
    I like the idea of burning water. Sounds mystical even tho I understand it completely.

Quote Originally Posted by menty666 View Post
    There's a cracking off technique too that I still think is dark magic.

the dark arts! does it matter the thickness? i've got some wonky glasses from my intro to glassblowing class (coe 96) i might like to chop down
    Fire in the bowl!

Dimond shears is what ive been told by the cup makers i admire .. emilo and ceserae. .. both have demo videos ..watch them .. they both use dimond shears