The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: What is wrong with this torch?

Default What is wrong with this torch?

This is not my torch but it caught my eye on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carlisle-CC...16.m2518.l4276

The torch has clearly been cleaned and polished very well but the flame looks crazy. Just wanted to know what others think is the problem. What I see is that the ports seem to be sunk into the outer sheath. Usually they are flush making me think the torch was disassembled and put back together. The ring between the 2 sets of outer ports is not visible and may be missing. In the flame pics, It looks like just the outer fire is on but there are no candles from the outer most row of ports. It also looks like the candles are coming from between the 2 rows of ports like the gas and oxygen are reversed.

I'm not trying to step on anyones sale if this belongs to a member here. Just thinking it would be disappointing to buy this torch thinking it was working properly.

Default Re: What is wrong with this torch?

Look to me like they reversed the oxy and the fuel line when they tested the torch. they switched out the knobs when they cleaned it up.. there’s one oxygen and one gas on each side so maybe they got confused....

It kinda looks like they’re only running the outer fire. Doesn’t look like the center fire is going at all.

Pic #10 makes it look like the fuel isn't even firing on the outer ring. Weird

Sent the seller a message.. he said that it was running on air and low pressure natural gas...
    Last edited by MoreFire; 02-14-2019 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojas View Post
    It kinda looks like they’re only running the outer fire. Doesn’t look like the center fire is going at all.
    That's what I see too
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    You just don't get it
    get heady

It is clear that the center fire is off. After looking at the pics again you can see in pics 8 and 9 that the valve knob connected to the oxygen input of the torch is labeled gas and that the other valve tied into it is labeled oxy. After cleaning/polishing they must have put the valve knobs on in the wrong places. The gas line was probably connected to the valve labeled gas but it is connected to the oxygen input of the torch. The torch and ports look pretty good but it is hard to judge the functionality because of the mix up. Probably best to stay away from this one

HA! That fucker is burnt up!!! That's scrap metal at best. Of be willing to bet that its beyond a rebuild. They ran that shit as wrong as possible for a very long time. These things are tanks. By the time it burnt to that point it'd be dirty as fuck. Report that thing and move on. Never trust a used torch that is that clean period.

Additionally, the photos of the torch “in use”, are done using only Natural Gas and the low pressure air system in my NEON shop. This is to show that all the ports are clean and clear, and with the proper pressure/mixture of an OXY/PROPANE setup, the torch output would be both impressive, and substantial.
    Whats wrong with this torch is in the description unless the seller is lying.

The seller revised the description after my post and after questions of the weird flame pics. Those flame pics do not show me that the ports are clean and clear. There are no candles coming from the ports at all. The flame is coming from in between the 2 rows of ports on the outer fire. The torch obviously should not be run on compressed air instead of Oxygen, the valve knobs are mixed up, and it would seem the gas and Oxygen or compressed air in this case were reversed in the flame pics. The ports are all recessed and not flush with the outer barrel of the torch. It was probably disassembled to clean and reassembled without screwing the barrel on all the way or replacing the copper gasket (crush washer). That might not be a problem or it might be premixing inside the outer fire. The Flashback on a cc premixing on the outer fire is very startling (from experience) and not a torch you would want to work on.

The description states the torch is mint. It does look nice other than the recessed ports. I don't think you can judge the functionality based on what is shown and described. I hope the sale goes great, it works perfect, and the new owner has a "mint" torch.

I would exercise caution before bidding.

Wire wheel rebuild. Lol

Like when you see a lathe on eBay with new paint on everything, screws, chucks ,ways ,ha ha ha…

It was attacked by a turd polishing expert.

He relisted it... face looks even worse it’s like a eighth of an inch below where it should be.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F312488354076

i agree it looks like a polished turd...

also the barrel is definitely not screwed on all the way, as Lux mentioned.

but even then it looks like the inner ports are "staircased" with the outer ports(not even)

these torches are beasts, so i'd almost bet it can be refurbished, but it is not worth the asking price.

looks like a 400$ torch at best(in the current condition)

get the damn barrel on all the way, sand down the face until it's all even. Fire it up and blast out all the bs from it not running with proper gases etc...and it would most likely be ready to rock...probably still not a good purchase imo

maybe at 200$ it would be worth the gamble, not for me though
    don't wash your hands with your sammich.
    naive
    *of or denoting art produced in a straightforward style that deliberately rejects sophisticated artistic techniques and has a bold directness resembling a child's work, typically in bright colors with little or no perspective.

your linework is naive maybe try some fuming?
    GTT Phantom on Homefill
    first time on torch 07'

But....it’s sooo shiny!!!