The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Problems with checking

Western P.A between Pittsburgh and Erie right on the ohio border

Default Problems with checking

So im having problems with checking on marbles and pendants i made a big thick vortex pendant last night nothing went wrong no checking no problems i finish it up put it in the kiln this morning i go to retrieve my art piece and sure enough it was cracked all over im kinda butt hurt about it lol i no it didnt happen when i was melting i never hear that dreadful sound of broken dreams so i no it was in the kiln can anybody help me my kiln cycle is 11 hours but i do live in north western pa and its been cold out this is like the 3rd piece that has checked on me im fustrated any advice would help please

Default Re: Problems with checking

What colors are you using?

Heavy teal by tag lemonade by boro batch and the opueqe purple by china but ive imploded the purple in flowers and stuff with no problems and sorry my spelling is bad

Oh and backing is striking white by china and sea breez by boro batch

I'd guess the heavy teal is causing the problems.

I've had pretty good luck with tag heavy teal. it could be the opaque purple also. Id switch up both colors and see if your still having the problem, also on second thought that white is questionable also.

Thank you ill try changing out the colors

heavy teal i've also had decent luck with, but much like indigo adventurine (Northstar) and Blue Stardust (TAG) it seems to need to be heavily oxidizing flame, any amount of reduction at all seems to cause checking.

i say "seems to" because i honestly have no idea if a slightly reducing atmosphere was the culprit when i did have checking issues, or to put it the other way, idk if it was the heavily oxidizing flame that kept it from checking.

good luck!
    You shouldn't be having sex for pleasure, only for reproduction.
    Thousands of people read my threads now. So I’m trying to not embarrass myself.

Pics?
    "demanding respect doesn't get you shit

love your fellow man" Mute

https://www.facebook.com/brian.cesario.56

Ill try to upload some tonight it has cracking in the heavy teal a lil in the purple and some in the lenz or clear jest dont be to judgemental of my work im farley new at this

No worries! it's just that sometimes it's hard to tell without looking
    "demanding respect doesn't get you shit

love your fellow man" Mute

https://www.facebook.com/brian.cesario.56

I believe heavy teal is a chromium color so if you encased it I would blame that. But the striking white also has a history of being somewhat incompatible with other colors and random cracking, I've heard this from a few people already. I've had pendants backed in striking white go pop for what seemed like no reason. It's probably the last white I would grab for these days, except for maybe jade white.
    "Don't get me wrong gtts are nice, but I'm more about that Issac Hayes smooth talking flame over the "come here boy you got a purty mouth" prison sex flames that gtts are known for."

don't forget about the trusty stringer test/compatibility test...

color on one side, clear on the other, pull stringer, see if it bends. the more it bends the more likely it will be to crack.

if you had issues with certain colors, try the test with those, instead of clear...or maybe multiple tests...

although i believe an actual "check" would or could happen within a single color, ie chromium colors
    don't wash your hands with your sammich.
    naive
    *of or denoting art produced in a straightforward style that deliberately rejects sophisticated artistic techniques and has a bold directness resembling a child's work, typically in bright colors with little or no perspective.

your linework is naive maybe try some fuming?
    GTT Phantom on Homefill
    first time on torch 07'

See i never new about the stringer test im all a lone out this way in western pa i know nobody who blows glass so everything im doing is trial and error i started with a lot of youtube videos ( thanks Justin Revere) i make progress everytime i hop on the torch. My pipes are turning out nice but i can only layer my blow outs are shit and havent got the hang of it i really wanna learn vortex galaxy marbles/pendants. my flowers have been coming out really nice now to so i figured i would start dipping my hand in vortexs. I thank u guys for your help i really do i wish i had someone to learn from or jest some one to work with to tell me some of the things it takes me 2 3 4 times to figure out before i get it because of this ive been wasting glas so ive stuck with chinas shit and the bottom batch of boro batch witch by the way got some awesome colors ive up graded to the tag full length sample pack i really like there colors but theres a def a learning curve and i did buy a few pounds of the colors i like from boro batch first quality. Oh and i did try putting in a pic but couldnt find the mountain lol i tried a few ways but didnt work plus i got some work i would love to post on here

just don't forget this place.

the melting pot is a boat load of info and tips.

You may have to wade through the BS but it's worth it. and if you ask questions usually people will answer.

Don't forget about the lampworking books. they have marble tutorials in there and guidelines on how things could or can be done. Vortex marbles are one of them.

Hands on practice will beat the pants off almost any other teacher, or lessons with someone telling you the ins and outs
    don't wash your hands with your sammich.
    naive
    *of or denoting art produced in a straightforward style that deliberately rejects sophisticated artistic techniques and has a bold directness resembling a child's work, typically in bright colors with little or no perspective.

your linework is naive maybe try some fuming?
    GTT Phantom on Homefill
    first time on torch 07'

Hey thanks a lot and would u guys happen to no the name of any of these books i was subscribed to the flow wile in jail they had some good shit to try but my subscription ran out and havent got back to getting it

bandhu dunham-contemporary lampworking

Ok so i did find out what went wrong with the one pendant i did one last night same colors minus the china striking white and found out its the heavy teal for sure see i did a lil experiment and put thick lines and stringers down and did the same with the china opaque purple were i laid thick lines it checked the stringers were fine so now i no a some of the limits of heavy teal

Thank you for the follow up. +1