The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Any tips for deep encasement of opals in marbles?

Default Any tips for deep encasement of opals in marbles?

I use opals a bunch in pendants and as attachments on pipes and they look great. But pretty much every time I try to put one deep inside a marble it loses its fire. Looks almost like there is a haze on the surface of the opal. I can't seem to get a photo to upload right now best I can do is a link to the photo https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Td...N76K2-c-XFvr3v thanks for any ideas..

Don

Default Re: Any tips for deep encasement of opals in marbles?

my guesses would be dirt or salt
    don't wash your hands with your sammich.
    naive
    *of or denoting art produced in a straightforward style that deliberately rejects sophisticated artistic techniques and has a bold directness resembling a child's work, typically in bright colors with little or no perspective.

your linework is naive maybe try some fuming?
    GTT Phantom on Homefill
    first time on torch 07'

Do you all clean your opals when you get them? I do..

I'd say too much heat. I would try working slower and further back in the flame. Can you see what point in the process it's happening?

Quote Originally Posted by rez cash View Post
    Do you all clean your opals when you get them? I do..

I'd say too much heat. I would try working slower and further back in the flame. Can you see what point in the process it's happening?
    i clean them prior to use, meaning moments before i drop it into the tube to encase.

If you drop the opal into a hot tube, the cold opal will scuzz more. If you drop the opal into a cold tube and slowly bring it up, they look way better.

Same as a blow out. If the outer sleeve is not as hot, you trap lots of air bubbles. If they are similar temps you trap way less.

I could be nuts, but it makes the difference for me. I also have very dirty hands and I never wash my opals. I know I should, but I never get anything but the occasional trapped air bubble.

Also, if you can make them work in smaller marbles, why not build it small then add a big Lenz?

Quote Originally Posted by BORO View Post
    If you drop the opal into a hot tube, the cold opal will scuzz more. If you drop the opal into a cold tube and slowly bring it up, they look way better.
    interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by BORO View Post
    Or gently heat the opal/bushy flame, and drop it in the warm tube.
    you will shank me later

Quote Originally Posted by FifDeez View Post
    I like the idea of burning water. Sounds mystical even tho I understand it completely.

too much heat for sure. darker shaded opals will show it 100% of the time if they were cooked out. I treat opals similar to fume work, if the glass becomes liquid gobbing it will most likely burn out the fume/opal.

Thanks for all the replies. I do clean them and they look great in pendants. I was thinking to much heat just not sure how to make the marbles without that much heat.