The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Hose ID 3/8 vs 1/4 with big torches

Default Hose ID 3/8 vs 1/4 with big torches

I was wondering if anyone understood why we use 3/8 hose on bigger torches if the regulators we use have a 1/4 npt or smaller, to propane or oxy hoses. Is there really a benefit to use bigger hoses (3/8 ID) than the regulator (1/4 or smaller ID) is putting out? I would like to use brass 1/4 tubing as it is cheaper than 3/8 to pipe from outside to my stations. Any ideas out there?

Default Re: Hose ID 3/8 vs 1/4 with big torches

people trying to get the most flow, to put it simple.

but ideally you would have separate regulators on separate stages of larger torches. Most aren't that worried about flame characteristics or just don't know any better.

on one torch that is smaller like a cc or a mirage the separate stages run pretty well off of just one regulator but you can see fluctuations, say when switching outter flame on and off.

people will crank up pressures to compensate for flow restrictions but that is not a proper fix and actually causes other finicky issues imo.

read the jhoward flame characteristics thread.

lots of good info there

but yes running the 3/8 id hose leaves you with a restriction at the regulator output. crank up the pressure a bit with the larger hose and the fluctuations will be very limited, assuming you aren't running real long hoses.
    don't wash your hands with your sammich.
    naive
    *of or denoting art produced in a straightforward style that deliberately rejects sophisticated artistic techniques and has a bold directness resembling a child's work, typically in bright colors with little or no perspective.

your linework is naive maybe try some fuming?
    GTT Phantom on Homefill
    first time on torch 07'

Good write up on putting regulators on all your torches, and setting them to the right output. Especially the 2 and 3 stage torches. 3 torches in one needs 3 regulators lol. I have 6 and I am about to do that after 20 years of not caring.
    Ok, well if I use 1/4 copper pipe with all the pressure of the source (propane or oxygen) and pipe it directly to the station with a manifold that goes to all the regulators. Could one be the one with the 3/8 to the outer flame of big torches and get a better flame than say saying screw it and using 1/4 since everything else is?

imo…

if things move to the path of least resistance, then putting the larger hose on just the outside or larger flame would create a greater variation when cycling on and off.

if you want flow then use the larger hose as a trunk, and the smaller diameter as branches.

sticking a trunk on a branch doesn't make it a tree.
    don't wash your hands with your sammich.
    naive
    *of or denoting art produced in a straightforward style that deliberately rejects sophisticated artistic techniques and has a bold directness resembling a child's work, typically in bright colors with little or no perspective.

your linework is naive maybe try some fuming?
    GTT Phantom on Homefill
    first time on torch 07'

Its been awhile for me to be on here, my setup.... 1/4 supply line ran 50 ft at 120 psi to a 10 gallon holding tank, from tank 1in line to each station with regulators at each torch, running 6 large torches no fluctuation when other torches are running.

http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showt...+volume+linear

I know this thread had some info , talking about littion and their guide to size of lines...