The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: It’s been a long time...

Default It’s been a long time...

Hello everybody. I doubt that anyone remembers me but I used to be very active here and then life took me in another direction about 8 or 9 years ago. I recently decided I wanted to get back into it as just a hobby for now and maybe more later. But anyways I’ve got a couple of questions and this was the first place I thought of asking.

1. I have developed a very bad back and I tend to hurt it doing very simple tasks so throwing around big oxygen tanks is not really an option for me and I don’t think my little hatchback car would appreciate them either. Is anyone using any of the smaller sized tanks and if so what kind of life are you getting out of a fill? And are concentrators any cheaper or better these days?

2. Are crayon colors no longer a thing? Seems like I read something a few years back about GA and Northstar discontinueing them. This really bums me out if true cause they were the main colors I loved to work with.

I’m sure I will have many more questions and will add them here as I think of them but just really wanted to say hello more than anything.
    Bringing more firearms than a school of burning squids

http://glasspipes.org/heinousglass

Default Re: It’s been a long time...

The cadmium colors went out of production for a while, there are some threads on the whole sha-bang I’m pretty sure. Luck us they are back and there are some reformulated versions that are really great workability wise!

I order a LOX tank and the guy wheels it right where it needs to be pretty much.

Welcome back and hope you have a great time melting!

That’s good to hear. I poked around on MGA’s site and didn’t see them listed so I was worried.

I have to options locally. One doesnt deliver to residential areas and the other I had deliver a tank once and they refused to come back because I live on a little dead end road with no room to turn around.

I've been thinking about similar problems, the studio I'm building is in a very rural area and I won't be able to get dewars delivered. 2 solutions I hit on are have a lox specific truck that only hauls liquid tanks and they never leave the back of the truck. Another solution is set up a fixed hoist and just crank the tank off the back of the truck using a chain hoist. A floor model engine jack should be able to lift up a dewar no problem but since its sitting on a pickup its probably too high.

EDIT: a trailer you could park near the studio would be ideal. Park the trailer, unhitch, hook up tank, never taking it off the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Zed View Post
    I've been thinking about similar problems, the studio I'm building is in a very rural area and I won't be able to get dewars delivered. 2 solutions I hit on are have a lox specific truck that only hauls liquid tanks and they never leave the back of the truck. Another solution is set up a fixed hoist and just crank the tank off the back of the truck using a chain hoist. A floor model engine jack should be able to lift up a dewar no problem but since its sitting on a pickup its probably too high.

EDIT: a trailer you could park near the studio would be ideal. Park the trailer, unhitch, hook up tank, never taking it off the trailer.
    trailer is def the move!

Oxygen concentrators are great, been over 4 years since iv paid for oxygen and messed with any tanks.
    Also I NEVER run out.

Here in SW washington state a dewar cost $400+ a fill so concentrators are a bargain.

A tried and true solution for glassblowers who have health problems like bad backs is to take on a apprentice. Find someone fresh out of HS looking for some direction in life, and give em some by teaching glass, in return they do stuff like moving K tanks, cleaning the shop, prep, ect.

If I could afford to get a truck that would pretty much solve my problems but I don’t think that’s going to happen. I currently drive a little Honda cr-z and my back hurts just thinking about getting a tank in and out of the back of it.

An apprentice would be great and I’d love to pass along the knowledge but I don’t think I could make it worth someone’s time with me working a regular job 40 hours a week. If ever decided to go at it full time again I would definitely do that.

Quote Originally Posted by snoopdog6502 View Post
    Oxygen concentrators are great, been over 4 years since iv paid for oxygen and messed with any tanks.
    Also I NEVER run out.

Here in SW washington state a dewar cost $400+ a fill so concentrators are a bargain.
    What model are you using?

Keep a eye on CL and locally for a used Toyota truck. I got a 94 4x4 with 192k for $4k and I've put 60k miles on it with minimal problems. I keep waiting for major engine problems so I can justify swapping a rebuilt engine into it and it keeps trucking. Every glassblower should own a pickup truck. I plan to own this yota for the rest of my life its rust free and parts are available for cheap. Cashflow problems suck I've been there plenty but a truck and a trailer is a great investment.

Hi Garrick
    ~Misha

Quote Originally Posted by garrick View Post
    What model are you using?
    I have 7 but my best 3 are from Dave Ridgeway at Available Oxygen.

I run GTT Kobuki on them just fine. I can run one of my oiless compressors if I need higher pressures for vac stack tube pulls.

My back is fucked, id have to quit if I had to buy k tanks. I own 3 tanks, I use them in the low pressure system (< 100 psi) and never move those heavy pricks.

Glass blowing with a bad back? That sure doesn't sound fun.