The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Marble formula

Default Marble formula

I can't find the formula for how many 1 inch marbles there are in a 2 and 3 inch marble, but it is one of those fascinating things we should all know. Anyone know what it was?
    ~Misha

Default Re: Marble formula

1 inch is 0.524 CI
    2 inch is 4.19 ci
    3 inch is 14.14 ci

So a 3 inch marble has 26.98473 1 inch marbles in it.

Seems crazy don't it ? but that is what my math works out to be..

I just calculate the volume of a sphere then divide one to the other.

can you just use a scale?

initially i did agree that the numbers are somewhat mind boggling. After thinking for a second, i think it is more the shape that is boggling the brain. As a sphere it tricks the mind.

If you use the idea with a cube for instance it becomes clear very fast. A 1" cube could fit into a 3" cube 27 times. and that seems to come into focus rather easy vs a sphere...
    Last edited by Mute; 04-29-2019 at 04:28 AM.
    don't wash your hands with your sammich.
    naive
    *of or denoting art produced in a straightforward style that deliberately rejects sophisticated artistic techniques and has a bold directness resembling a child's work, typically in bright colors with little or no perspective.

your linework is naive maybe try some fuming?
    GTT Phantom on Homefill
    first time on torch 07'

There's an app that might help

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	93563
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    You just don't get it
    get heady

Hi Misha, if you are asking about the volume of a marble the answer is relatively simple if my algebra is correct. The formula for the volume of a sphere is 4/3*pi*r^3 or 1/6*pi*d^3 where r is the radius and d is the diameter. The ratio of a marble's volume to that of a 1" marble is then simply d^3 or d*d*d. So the volume of a 2" marble is 8 times that of a 1" marble and a 3" marble is 27 times that of a 1" marble. OF course the formula works for fractional diameters also. a 0.5" marble would have 1/8 the volume of a 1" marble. You can verify these number by measuring the volume water displaced by a 1" marble compared to the amount displaced be a larger or smaller marble. Instead of measuring the volume of water you could measure its weight. We all have gram scales don't we?

Grdunc is almost right, although they forgot to add the 1.3333 (4/3 in decimals) and the value for Pi into the final equation - normally 3.14 for quick, on-the-fly calculations.

So, a marble with a diameter of 1" = (1.33)*(3.14)*[(1)*(1)*(1)]= 4.19 cubic inches.
    And a marble with a diameter of 2"= (1.33)*(3.14)*[(2)*(2)*(2)]= 33.51 cubic inches.

If you fancy messing about with the formula and putting in some different marble diameters, here's a handy formula page. https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calcu...ids/sphere.php

Hope this helps! I thought basic numeracy and statistics to adults for a decade, before moving on - so I'm glad to get to use those skills again :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Speedingpullet View Post
    Grdunc is almost right, although they forgot to add the 1.3333 (4/3 in decimals) and the value for Pi into the final equation - normally 3.14 for quick, on-the-fly calculations.

So, a marble with a diameter of 1" = (1.33)*(3.14)*[(1)*(1)*(1)]= 4.19 cubic inches.
    And a marble with a diameter of 2"= (1.33)*(3.14)*[(2)*(2)*(2)]= 33.51 cubic inches.

If you fancy messing about with the formula and putting in some different marble diameters, here's a handy formula page. https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calcu...ids/sphere.php

Hope this helps! I thought basic numeracy and statistics to adults for a decade, before moving on - so I'm glad to get to use those skills again :-)
    You might want to run the numbers again. Those look way off.

I haven't checked anyone's work but:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sphere vol.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	93579

It’s funny how t adds up

So basically there are about 27 x 1" marbles in a 3" marble. Sounds about right to me when I hold one or the other in my hand. It's still mind boggling though haha. Thanks so much you guys! And sorry it took me a bit to reply. I had a huge cardiac exam, which believe it or not, uses a ton of math. Which I suck at. I still got a 94.69. woot.
    ~Misha

Download the marble calculator app in the google play store. You can choose the mm rod you want to use and it tells you the length you need to make it