The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I need to make my first rig.

Default I need to make my first rig.

I have a broken rig. Its a broken bubble. The guy wants to reuse the mouthpiece the stem and the foot. He has some good glass and colors to pay in trade.

So my problem is lack of joint tools to do it properly.
    Almost 5 years on the torch self taught. Never made a rig but now want to learn.

I have a premade 14mm male and a female.

Anyway im lost on this. Whats a good style to do for a noob? Any good video links so I know what to prep and the order of operations?

Default Re: I need to make my first rig.

Droping downstems is just like anything elce. Do a bunch of them and eventually it will click. Hopefully you have a hand torch. Personally I do it my own way since I'm picky. After you try a bunch of them you probably will too.

I have a lynx hand torch. It will laser a nice weld. I just dont know rigs and dont use them.

I should try..I have to try and fail many times or it wil bug me. Like the lesson I have been avoiding.

My pendant game is good. Marbles too. I just do dope pipes for a break. I make less then 20% of my sales on pipes.
    I just dont have the heart to tell people to go someplace else with this crap.

I have a Kobuki for my main torch. It is a fine torch. I love it.

Two or three ways to skin the cat. If you use a Mira, small, and you want it to barely overlap the hole.

Or you can use this other method depending on perk style...

http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showt...ight=drop+stem

this old scientific manual has some good info.

http://www.survivorlibrary.com/libra...owing_1921.pdf

for me the ring or maria does work but i kind of liked flaring the end a bit and dropping it in like a downstem...seemed a bit cleaner for me.
    don't wash your hands with your sammich.
    naive
    *of or denoting art produced in a straightforward style that deliberately rejects sophisticated artistic techniques and has a bold directness resembling a child's work, typically in bright colors with little or no perspective.

your linework is naive maybe try some fuming?
    GTT Phantom on Homefill
    first time on torch 07'

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Mute again.

Thank for the link Mute.
    "Don't get me wrong gtts are nice, but I'm more about that Issac Hayes smooth talking flame over the "come here boy you got a purty mouth" prison sex flames that gtts are known for."

With that lynx hand torch going in on the downstem ring seal i would take advantage of the blue knob only option when applicable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Droping downstems is just like anything elce. Do a bunch of them and eventually it will click. Hopefully you have a hand torch. Personally I do it my own way since I'm picky. After you try a bunch of them you probably will too.
    I don't use a hand torch for anything and i drop them in all the time. With my Kobuki.
    you will shank me later

Quote Originally Posted by FifDeez View Post
    I like the idea of burning water. Sounds mystical even tho I understand it completely.

Wow thats uhhhh super impressive?

once youve been doing it as long as you i bet theres all kinds of steps you can cut out but i think snoop is trying to get this project done for the dude and play around with learning them. so would you say hand torch is a bad idea or would you say he should use it kut?

Totally honestly, I bought one, used it once i think, maybe twice. I got a hole in the line and never bothered to fix it. I'd already learned to do all sorts of tricky small shit like an idiot in front of the kobuki, so I just stick to it still I should get the hand torch fixed maybe someday, maybe. If i want to make insects.
    you will shank me later

I like the idea of burning water. Sounds mystical even tho I understand it completely.

dude prefers to use rocks to drive his nails, but has a hammer.
    naive
    *of or denoting art produced in a straightforward style that deliberately rejects sophisticated artistic techniques and has a bold directness resembling a child's work, typically in bright colors with little or no perspective.

GTT Phantom on Homefill
    first time on torch 07'

Quote Originally Posted by Mute View Post
    dude prefers to use rocks to drive his nails, but has a hammer.

the micro lynx flame on it is just like a hand torch, just not as moveable.
    you will shank me later

Quote Originally Posted by hashmasta-kut View Post
    the micro lynx flame on it is just like a hand torch, just not as moveable.
    And a rock is a hammer without a handle.

(not that I'd know if a hand torch was better here)

sooooo many ways. You can do most things without a handtorch though, I really did not get hung up on them til I got a lathe, then its really a handtorch world. GOod luck with that project
    May I live like the lotus, at ease in muddy water

Formerly known as Skuzz

Well I got 21 pounds of color from mga. I need to get on the lathe and make joint tools.

Im not going to weld a china joint on, I want color continuity. Might have to hit up the tool and die shops for some good graphite.

For a beginner my favorite way is to have both pieces secured in some type of lab clamp or anything you can come up with. Bridges are great too but when you’re just starting out it’s less stressful when both your hands are free. I put the miria inside the tube so it barely fits in the hole. Make sure you have a very small clean clear rod handy. Them just use that laser flame and collapse the rim of the hole onto the miria. Any holes just fill with the rod.

After a janky weld under the joint I think I want to do the downstems from the inside when I can.

I chased cracks pretty good,its not bad for my first. I put it In my display case, in a year I will make another one as a gauge of my progress.

I had a damn cool kid come over. I made a flower pendant a soon and sherlock as examples. He made a pendant, made a noobish shaped spoon but his bowl hole,bowl push,carb and mouthpeice were great, he welded his pendant to it and made a decent first pipe. I think I found a good helper/trainee.
    He knows rig usage and owns some dank glass and owns a bunch of Colored rods.
    As a helper he reminded me of steps before I Did them and passed me the right tool in the right moments.
    I have high hopes for him and hope he can quickly pass me in skills or push me to try new and complex things.
    He had played around with soft glass and a hothead so having a F130 kiln and my spare phantom for him to start with he was very happy and likes the hell out of it.
    He is coming over tonight to work on pendants so I will have the Kobuki and the phantom running so we should be able to get some stuff made,learn and have fun.
    This time we will clean the bench good first. Line out two sets of tools, make some nice prepped punties and blow tubes. Get another tink bucket. Get an organised so we can get after it right in a neat and organized manner. Have a brief safety meeting so he knows where the fuel shut off, fire extinguishers and first aid kit is.

Thank you guys for all the advice and helpful links. Im having just as much fun learning as I did almost 5 years ago. Good times.

doing the seals from the inside does produce a very nice seal, and it also shows you how to get them that way from the outside...

once you drop it in from the inside it gives you a different view about the wall thickness and the transitions at the seal. It made it easier for me at least. Then i was able to apply those aspects to the other methods i had tried.
    naive

GTT Phantom on Homefill
    first time on torch 07'