The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Favorite joint forming tool?

Default Favorite joint forming tool?

Hello Talkglass! Long time no see.

I'm getting ready to pick up some joint forming tools. There's a few I've been thinking about, but wanted to get some input from the community. Yes, I did UTFSE, but it looks like it's been a bit since this was discussed, so here goes.

Mostly looking to make 14mm females. Up until now, been using a standard taper reamer, a joint holder and a waxed joint to do it, but am ready to invest in speeding the process up a bit.

So what joint forming tools do you prefer? Here's what I'm looking at, if you have any thoughts to offer.

Blast Shield seems to be a little out of my price range, so that's not in the running.

The Griffin ones seem to be popular and are pretty inexpensive, but I'm not sure how far off they are from my current process.

Other ones I'm looking at are the Datum forming tool and the ABR model

I also keep hearing about Buddy Mansfield forming tools, but can't seem to find any place that sells them.

So what are you using Talkglass? Do you like it? Would you buy it again?

Your input is super appreciated. I also hope life is treating all of you well.
    The most helpful bit of advice I've ever received:
    Quote Originally Posted by mer View Post
    -don't give up. it's more than a job, it's a lifestyle.
    www.nocoastglass.com

Default Re: Favorite joint forming tool?

ICKY!!!!!

Christine Hansen
    www.christinehansen.com

Datum is super well made I have a 10mm datum and just use regular reamer joint combo for 14mm. the datum is super nice and you can made a lip easily if you want, first experience with the compression former or whatever you'd classify it as. i check with a joint but it seems to make a pretty nice joint on its own with a couple moves.

I use the griffin octagon and finishing brass tools for 14mm female joint making. The trick with the second step is to liberally carbon up the tool with soot and get it quite hot, then it wont stick and or crack joints. they work great, and for years now.
    you will shank me later

Quote Originally Posted by FifDeez View Post
    I like the idea of burning water. Sounds mystical even tho I understand it completely.

Hey Icky <3
    ~Misha

My shop mate has the datum. It's a cool concept, but I still find myself making a better joint with the brass octogon tool that Hashmasta mentioned.

If I had any complaints about the three piece tong style... The center pin scratches easily. Once it's scratched it effects every other joint you make. It was a relative noob that scratched this one, so he bought a new center 10mm.

After I took it apart and replaced the graphite pin, it was hard to align each arm and pin correctly. So use caution when you do any servicing.

The datum style tool does make fast production joints. I never used another brand. I have fondled other brands in person, they all seem very similar?As far as use, I use it for clear prep, ( once I found the sweet spot for heat base. ) I still use the brass remer/hex tool to do any colorjoint / high end and final hot fitment check. Prehaps its because I learned like the o. p. on a waxed glass joint, so that tec translates better for me personally .

Edit:
    This is the tool I mentioned that is not the style the o. p. asked about.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20191023-094657.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	93807

The description

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20191023-094637.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	131.1 KB 
ID:	93808

the link

https://www.mountainglass.com/10mm-F...er-Wood-Handle

I think they do exist with a hollow handle you can blow through. I have the solid/ plug style like the link. (moot point)
    Last edited by BORO; 10-23-2019 at 07:09 AM.

Cool, i was starting to doubt if you would ever post again. Glad you have.

I will not even try to give information i don't know about, type happy...lol
    don't wash your hands with your sammich.
    naive
    *of or denoting art produced in a straightforward style that deliberately rejects sophisticated artistic techniques and has a bold directness resembling a child's work, typically in bright colors with little or no perspective.

your linework is naive maybe try some fuming?
    GTT Phantom on Homefill
    first time on torch 07'

When it comes to joints, this is low key my favorite tool. I use it in combination with the common one that Boro mentioned.
    https://www.abrimagery.com/store/pro...68e4e44186b166

The only issue for me is after a few reams the handle heats up and i have to drop it in my quench cup. They were "retooled" very accurately from my experience. I wish there were more this style, maybe one made out of graphite for a pre ream. Maybe from someone besides ABR too, definitively not my favorite company.
    Last edited by Sparko; 10-23-2019 at 07:58 AM.

I highly recommend tossing the waxing information for the brass tools. Sure you can add some to the octagon reamer sometimes, it helps, but carbon coated with soot is the way to go for the final forming tool. very hot tool, with a thick layer of soot.
    you will shank me later

Quote Originally Posted by FifDeez View Post
    I like the idea of burning water. Sounds mystical even tho I understand it completely.

I use a cheap no name graphite tool from wale to make 14s and 19s, along with a carbon covered glass joint in the tail stock to follow the tool, make 10 an hour with ease for straight clear or fumed production. fit tighter than giraffe pussy
    May I live like the lotus, at ease in muddy water

Formerly known as Skuzz