The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Fume vortex pattern

Default Fume vortex pattern

I have seen a particular fume vortex that I've been wanting to sit down and figure out for a few years, but never got there. Any help achieving this shape of vortex appreciated. Mine have come out messy, bubbly, and over struck.

Thanks in advance. I'll post pics of my future attempts. Working away from torch this week so I have some time to sit and think about it more.

This is a piece buy the absolutely amazing artist Alex Craig. This is the best one I've seen so far, so I am using this for my example picture.

I'm not asking anyone to divulge his secrets or anything so if this cant be answered in good morals then that's totally fine with me. I dont want to step on anyone's toes or techs. This is something I've seen a lot of so I dont think it would be a problem.

Nah, nah. See, I meant to do that.

Default Re: Fume vortex pattern

Thread stamp? It doesn't look like what @squirrelandbee is doing exactly. But fume it up and press a bolt into it?
    "demanding respect doesn't get you shit

love your fellow man" Mute

https://www.facebook.com/brian.cesario.56

Make a lined spiral cone, add clear lines spin again?

make fume lined tube

make vortex from tube

the wavy lines are clear
    don't wash your hands with your sammich.
    naive
    *of or denoting art produced in a straightforward style that deliberately rejects sophisticated artistic techniques and has a bold directness resembling a child's work, typically in bright colors with little or no perspective.

your linework is naive maybe try some fuming?
    GTT Phantom on Homefill
    first time on torch 07'

Well I know how to make a vortex in general, but I guess my question is how to make the square instead of spiral. I guess just push the sides flat is what I've been trying to do but it's not really working out

Nah, nah. See, I meant to do that.

add glass to the square flats so they stay flat and strait.

Just a guess as I drink my coffee...

The spiral was twisted after the fume and the initial stringer stripes on said fume. (a lot of rotations) 4 thick rake stripes of clear ,then it was twisted much less as it's condensed. 1.5 rotations?

4 VERY Large rake stripes , very hot rod so it leaves behind a thick clear coat each pass.

When you look at the image, at first it looks like the rakes created the thin peaks, but areas that got raked are the bigger areas. The small unraked fume created the little waves that are pinched up between each big pass of your rod. I bet it was 16 or even 20mm rod ? (if I assume that marble is over 1.5")

The second picture really tells the tale, and shows the glass in a way that makes me believe this was how it's done. I would try to have the core be 60% of the glass, and the other 4 stripes of thick rod be about 40% (10% of the marble from each stripe/rake pass. )

I might try a small one later?

Please post up any tries, I dig this general idea, and where it may lead to. ( Even if I'm way off on the method.)
    Last edited by BORO; 11-16-2019 at 10:48 AM.

when trying to encase a vortex back in clear, ive accidentally done something like this, not nearly as cool though.
    i just layed some thick lines on the back and melted them in.
    it turned the round vortex into a square, the corners are at the edge of the clear lines that were put down.
    i didnt retwist it after that though, i wasnt even expecting anything different, i did it by accident not realizing my sloppy encasement would distort the vortex.