The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Glass

Default Glass

New to blowing glass and was wondering if the import clear tube was any good for practicing making pipes and other small stuff or should I just go ahead and buy the nicer brands like sumac and what sites have the best deals on glass. Thanks in advance

Default Re: Glass

for sure, and but its imported from China or European producers too. Price reflects quality.
    you will shank me later

Quote Originally Posted by FifDeez View Post
    I like the idea of burning water. Sounds mystical even tho I understand it completely.

What cheap tubing would you reccomend for practicing?

Just remember that techniques (like fuming) won't work the same way on quality glass. You also may have compatibility issues with cheap glass that you won't with quality.

Quote Originally Posted by coltonwalters49 View Post
    What cheap tubing would you reccomend for practicing?

Only tried Schott, Simax and Kimble. I've got one rod of Chinese clear, it seems fine. All the others are good stuff usually.
    you will shank me later

Quote Originally Posted by FifDeez View Post
    I like the idea of burning water. Sounds mystical even tho I understand it completely.

When i bought my first few cases i found that you could get smaller cases of Simax which helped me try it out. I use Schott for punties and blowtubes and that works great, not too expensive. The Chinese i have all has to be worked into the heat slowly, except for some colors like black and cobalt. dont have a buncha chinese but i really didnt notice a HUGE difference between the 25x4 chinese and 25x4 Schott. i havent fumed the Chinese clear alot but for practicing i dont see why not. I probably should have started with more Chinese to save money but i wanted American glass when i started.

Who do you reccomend ordering from for best prices and customer service

https://lampworksupply.com/

What do you plan on making?
    "demanding respect doesn't get you shit

love your fellow man" Mute

https://www.facebook.com/brian.cesario.56

@fUmEsNiFfEr pipes carb caps eventually move onto rigs and smaller tubes

Mountain Glass Arts, UST, Frantz are good customer service

Mountain Glass has always treated me very well, +1 for them.
    @mwcglass

Clear glass tends to all be similar , except the fume colors you can achieve.( Like everyone already mentioned )

Most people ( 80%?) could not melt a clear tube and tell you what brand it is. It all melts and looks the same. More experience and you can tell, but it's a moot point untill you are making high end/complex glass.

Color is a different beast. Color is more complex, has more ingredients and takes more to make. Cheap color tends to run a higher chance of failure, where it will crack, turn color, or do any number of things. The quality from the cheaper options has gone way up compared to ten years ago. So again I would not be afraid of the cheap options. You might have 1/4 or 1/5 the color choices from cheapr sources. They all seem similar. I would not shy away from any color if it's what I'm looking for. (Reading reviews can help)

I will say boro bars /origin glass (American) is made with a powder and works slightly different. It still works fine with everything else when you treat it correctly. Totally worth the $ per pound.

With color, I try to keep my money in country, and I am more likely to get what I asked for that way. Coustermer service is also a plus.

See this thread, the cheap option was fine the last few orders, but the current batch is not as advertised. The cheaper color is usually made on a bigger scale, with more product and lower q.c. as modus operandi.

http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showt...n-Striking-Red

This next link is the best way I can help get some one started.

http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showt...ght=Read+first

Not really the answer the o.p. was asking , but I imagine it's relevant.
    Last edited by BORO; 12-13-2019 at 03:28 PM.