The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Lathe trouble shooting

Default Lathe trouble shooting

Hey guys, I just picked up my first lathe. Once I got working on it, I found that it puts a wobble in everything and breaks pulled stringers. I was hoping one of you fine folks would have some information on how I can fix this. Thank you!

Default Re: Lathe trouble shooting

What kind of lathe? What kind of chucks?

Here is a photo of it coming out of the truck. I didn't see a brand name, but I'll take a look in the morning. I'll reach out to the previous owner to see if he has more information also.

Last edited by Taka; 02-19-2020 at 09:40 PM.

Pics of the head / tail stock and controller.

The quick and dirty way, get something nice and true to Chuck up , like round steel stock.

Make sure your table it's mounted on is super flat and level.

If you have adjust feet on each corner, start by lowering and raising them, even adjusting the feet can twist the lathe back into true if it's only slightly off.

If it's still way out,
    Figure out what fasteners /screws you will have to lossen. They will allow the head and tail stock to be adjust slightly on its base.

Put the steel in booth Chuck's so it's tight , then loose screws should allow it to line up clean.

Slowly tighten each loose screw in series. DO NOT tighten each one all at once . You need to spread out the load as you tighten it back up. Once they get closer to tight, make sure to go slow in a logical pattern as you snug them up a partial turn at a time.

This only works on certain styles of lathes , similar to the o.p. pics. I know it works good on a gator. This would not work on a Litton for example. Just a suggestion on where to start with minimum $.

I would start with the 4 fasteners that hold the tail stock to the plate that has the hand wheel.
    Last edited by BORO; 02-26-2020 at 12:48 PM.

Thank you! I will give that a shot

That might be a difficult thing to get perfect. Do you have any lathe tape. That will compensate for some of the problems with your machine and make it usable. I wouldn't expect to get it perfect and even it if was glass tubing is seldom perfectly straight. I have worked on a couple different machines and they are all different and take a little getting used to and adapting to their quirks.