The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Home built o2 system

Default Home built o2 system

Hey guys,

There is a lot of threads about this but none seem to knock this on the head for me.

I live in Australia and everyone is shutting up shop here, so id like to build an o2 system. Ive never attempted this but i do a lot of mechanical work so im confident i can build one here and i work in a fabrication workshop so building the unit case shouldn't be an issue.
    what I'm asking is does anyone have a build list for parts or a break down or even a detailed video showing a system (not using home fill) that i can watch and write down? I can nut this out but living somewhere ive never seen one in person id love some first hand advice.

Also very keen to know any tips or tricks and do's and don't to the system re: safety.

Thanks In advance for any reply's.
    For the record this is for me at home, not commercial use so I'm not stepping on anyones toes legally as I've seen a few posts about this.

Thanks Toby

Default Re: Home built o2 system

Do you use Facebook? Arvad Kovacs (I think I spelled his name right?) put up a really good post with a parts list and explination. If you have trouble finding it, shoot me a message and I can try to track it down for you. This may not make sense until you start looking at how it goes together, but MAKE SURE you match the horsepower of your compressor to the total LPM of your concentrators. A 1/2 hp for 30LPM, and a 1hp for 60LPM. If it's just you, I'd build a system with 3 10 LPM concentrators. Good Luck!

Just what I'm chasing. ill hunt him down.
    Very much appreciated. Rep coming your way.

Lots of good info here and a starting point to visualize how one of these systems go together.
    https://www.opengrow.com/topic/52755...rking-torches/

If you don't want to mess with a mechanical pressure switch and are handy with micro controllers this project can be used to control the compressor and with some slight modifications to code and hardware can even cycle your oxy cons.

There are a few bugs in the code if I remember but they aren't major and I can look back through my notes to see what I changed when I put my HVO together.
    https://create.arduino.cc/projecthub...r-ver-2-5bd65f

Like mentioned above, size your compressor according to your oxy con output. Use check valves on the output of your cons and on the input side of your storage tank. And the biggest thing is of course to make sure that you are using an oil free compressor.

The easiest set up is a california air 1/2 hp compressor .. they have a free air requirment at about 35 lpms . 35 at kick in and 30 or so at kick off psi .

The easiest seyestems are just to y up 35 lpm of cons .. best way is say 4 10 lpm units .. turned down to 8 so they make good purity oxygen and a 5 lpm turned down to 3. (Same reason purity .

Then on the line going into the air compressor you need a low pressure relif valve set for like 2 psi . (This keeps the cons from building pressure when the compressor is off.
    Anyway put a t in the line with one of these right before the compressor intake .

Then on the compressor out ...run that line into a large 60 gallon storage tank that has been cleaned for oxygen use .. (no oil ) simple grean and acetone ..are good for cleaning them .

Then hook up your oxygen regulator on the out from the tank .. .

The cons stay on with this syestem and do not turn off ...the relief valve allows them to bleed ...so the compressor doesnt start under load and they dont build back pressure .

This is the simplest way to build one ..you can get more complex with selenoids and compressors ..and controlers ..

Oxygen cons dont make good purity oxygen when they first kick on ..so there is a bit of tricky ness with turning them on and off and maintaining pruity .

This syestem works ..it does waste some electric in that the cons are always running and puts some aditiinal ware on the cons ..but turning things on and off isnt that good for them either ..

You can used different compressors with different free air requirements for different amounts of lpms. But you need to feed the compressor enough lpms that it stays above the psi you want your torch to run at ..

The compressors run on a curve so the lower the psi ...the more lpms it will suck in .. the higher the psi the lower the lpms it will need ..

Another option is the gast 1 hab ..that needs about 25 lpms to run well .

And then the gast 2 hab it needs about 50 lpms ..

All of this can be adjusted with in a given range for each compressor by changing the kick on and off psi on the pressure switch .

Keep in mind that cons dont make good purity o2 ..when you turn them way way up .

On thing that helps a LOT is to get a oxygen purity analyzer. . So you can test the purity of the concentrators your using most of the time you will get the best purity ..at about 2 lpms below max .. on a 10 lpm and 1 or 2 below max on a 5 lpm ..

The pruity will NEVER be like tanked oxygen ..92 to 94 % is the best you will do on concentrators .

There are groups on fb ..i admin one called concentrated lampworking for adults .

Mike mason from torch talk runs another but he is a big fan of high volume oxygen and supports them trying to silence the diy movement .

Anyway there are places you can find more info if you need it . Kovarks .. as mentioned above knows his shit really really well ..

Good luck