Thread: Colorway funtime

Default Colorway funtime

Because I like to share

Burnt cut spun

Default Re: Colorway funtime

color theory?

Indeed, 15 stick

I attached a non PNG that might make more sense, The only other thing about this that might not be clear at 1st is that the 3rd row down are FTC

Burnt cut spun

For years this is how test colorways

Burnt cut spun

Corel draw x6
    Bitmap convert
    Distort-various tools

Burnt cut spun

Im gonna have to try that. I'm thinking alot about colors and looking to find some simple combos that really work nicely. Sounds stupid but sometimes i just look at the work from people that actually studied color theory to get some ideas, like billboards and cigar packs and other packaging.
    I like the last pic. it has a southwest look to it.

are you using this to make vacstacks?

Any tubing really

Burnt cut spun

Soooooo close to digi-r-balls.....

Burnt cut spun

That's not bad, maybe i'll try it.
    you will shank me later

Quote Originally Posted by FifDeez View Post
    I like the idea of burning water. Sounds mystical even tho I understand it completely.

I use corel draw which over complicates things, I am very limited in how I can distort my field of stripes

Burnt cut spun

Since you started this thread regarding color, i figured it might be a good place to include other ways that can help us put colors together.
    I tried some color theory apps and my issue is matching the exact color of my glass. Even if i create a combo i would like to make with glass, chances are it includes colors i need to find and order. So i was looking for something that could easily match the colors i have, bc my glass orders will involve a grab bag of random colors for now.
    I found an app called PicStitch. I zoomed in and took pics of my glass and created a "collage" of the colors i have at the moment. With the free version, you can combine up to 4 pics side by side. I'm going to purchase the app and be able to create my own layouts, which would allow me to add stripes of color to resemble lipwraps and add more side by side.
    This is not for lined tubing. I will be doing alot of simple encalmo work over the next few weeks so i found this to be an easy way to put the actual glass colors together.

These are going to be spoons and sherlocks. If you were doing an upright piece you could also stack the colors vertically in this app to get the right visual.

Last edited by Roadrunner11; 05-18-2020 at 06:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner11 View Post
    Since you started this thread regarding color, i figured it might be a good place to include other ways that can help us put colors together.
    I tried some color theory apps and my issue is matching the exact color of my glass. Even if i create a combo i would like to make with glass, chances are it includes colors i need to find and order. So i was looking for something that could easily match the colors i have, bc my glass orders will involve a grab bag of random colors for now.
    I found an app called PicStitch. I zoomed in and took pics of my glass and created a "collage" of the colors i have at the moment. With the free version, you can combine up to 4 pics side by side. I'm going to purchase the app and be able to create my own layouts, which would allow me to add stripes of color to resemble lipwraps and add more side by side.
    This is not for lined tubing. I will be doing alot of simple encalmo work over the next few weeks so i found this to be an easy way to put the actual glass colors together.

These are going to be spoons and sherlocks. If you were doing an upright piece you could also stack the colors vertically in this app to get the right visual.

What a boss idea...totally stealing this

Burnt cut spun

Those color wheels and the little square grids might be nice to have just as the black outlines, you could print them out and use colored pencils to fill them in. Using pencils might make it easier to match the color to the glass you have on hand as well. I bought a 72 color set of prismacolor pencils on amazon for around $60 bucks. You can get half as many for around $30 (they actually sell colors individually as well on the low). That might be excessive and wasteful though given that using a computer to color is free and you would have to scan the paper if you wanted to distort them into wigwag/reversal shape with it... Just an idea though because I know some people like having a physical sheet around they can fill out a quick idea on vs learn to muck about with software. Really awesome idea though. Way to plan!

Ya colored pencils could give lots of shades i haven't tried it yet.
    Did this one last night. Had 8 combos dialed up, sat down and grabbed 3 completely different colors, so theres inspiration in the moment too that just wins out sometimes. Went back and made the tiles to see how close they are to the piece.

I have files for 15, 17 and 21 line tubing/rod
    Will upload when I am at the office again. I call them my worksheets and often have several dozen printed....

I fill them in when I see or think of something that I want to explore, if I like the way it looks as a 15,17 or 21 bar grid then I will plug it into corel.....

From there I made macros for bitmap editing the line grid, I have one for spiral, wig wag, reversal, beach ball and wig wags on tubing.

I never intend for my digital to be a "Mandatory" color match.... i.e. the purple fire, could be cads, trans, fumed segments, amber purple etc etc etc.....

Essentially these worksheets are the foundation upon which I decide if I even want to invest time in a colorway....a baby step pre-flame if you will