The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: M0xxy makes a mess

Default Re: M0xxy makes a mess

I haven't died or gotten bored with this yet! I'm still burning o2 and spinning glass, and some things are getting better. I've gotten to that part in the learning process where each new thing isn't exciting because it's new, it's exciting because its a step on the way to becoming better but I have a million steps to go and the pictures get less interesting over time. As someone who taught me Go used to say, screw up your first 1000 pieces swiftly. Here are some random pictures of me getting those first 1000 pieces out of the way.

Finally got the kiln wired up and firing! Smoked like my grandma on the first run, too. Last night was my first time playing around with garaging blanks as I worked on other stuff and it felt like I had a lot less problems with glass exploding than I usually do.

Stepping up my storage game. Doesn't help for long tubes and rods but has been a great place to park my colors and my precut tubes. I have extra parts (some GoG joints, marble molds, etc) in some drawers higher up in the unit. I really liked how this turned out and jsut need to find a better storage for the full size (4' or so) rods.

I'm playing with a new hollow form, a very simple hummingbird feeder. Very simple but sort of fun to work through the workflow myself instead of commiting a revere or torchtalk video to memory.

Hummingbird feeder mark2. Simple brilliant blue with some fuming.

Closeup of HBF#2

I wrapped some black tube with magic striking white. I really like the thin gold band from the interface layer but suspect it would be hard to control and reproduce nicely. I will probably be doing this combination a few times in the future to see if I can nail it with some practice.

Here is a good experiment:

A quick polka dot spoon, turned out OK.

Here are some not-so-good experiments:

A Moxxy mess! Tried to make a lil bowl out of brilliant blue rod, some magic white dots, and encased in clear. It did not bench cool nicely, blew off the tube I had it on, and cracked. Good practice drawing on clear tho.

Halfassed linework turned into a halfassed trash spoon.

Halfassed linework turned into a halfassed trash spoon.

I've been fascinated by fume lately. I'm working up to my first vacuum encasement and I think that will give me some additional things to try, but for now I'm trying to blow fume onto a blank, trap some fume with clear dots and then blow off the excess fume. It works just well enough to be tantalizing but not well enough to be good yet.

Early experiment with fume trapping. This blank only had one dot trap fume, but it is a very encouraging beautiful blue color.

This blank has zero colored dots, and even rolled off my blowtube and landed on my crotch. It was nuts! What a bad blank, I didn't even try and finish it.

This fume trapping went a little better. Quite a few dots, but I ended up sticking way too much tube on the unencased area and it's overall very terrible.

Tried to do some fume trapping on a cobalt tube too. It kinda worked on the bowl end, and there is an interesting silver star pattern on the cobalt.

More of the interesting star pattern sputtering silver onto cobalt tube.

Finally, a pretty interesting fume trap experiment. I fumed the tube, wrapped clear around it, and then tried to blow the fume off with a oxy flame. I'm not sure exactly how I got the colors I did, but its got a really interesting deep tiger stripe thing going on.

As far as I can tell, the fume underneath the clear doesn't really seem trapped. I'm either inadvertently burning off the fume while putting the dots on there or a high oxy flame can remove the fume effect from underneath the clear. Based on the tiger stripe pipe from last night, I actually think I was removing fume while adding clear which is why I would sometimes get just one good dot - the first one, ofc! I definitely need to spend more time thinking about the flame characteristics both as I'm fuming but also as I'm trapping.

git it MOxxy. I will say this about that. (as my old friend from Kentucky used to say)
    I hear some people saying its better to teach yourself than copy a RevereGlass video and to learn alot of techniques and to not be a Revere disciple that is a one trick pony from a single video. While this is partly true, I am a glassblower that leaned heavily on Revere videos and others like Capglass to gain some understanding of the fundamentals involved. I am "self-taught" and will be forever teaching myself until i can afford a class one day, but i can honestly say i was taught by Dustin Revere and Capglass videos until i had the balls to post in this forum. And what i mean by that is how you watch their videos. Just because he is making an inside out spoon or a one piece sherlock in the video, it doesn't mean you're going to make 500 of those because that's what you've studied. The end product is important (as in a clean looking piece), but that all comes with the experience you gain from the material when it starts coming together for you. I think the real benefit of these videos is the opportunity to see a real craftsman at work and study the smaller details in their hands, their timing, the heat base. How many times did he heat the bowl area and puff out the hole before pushing the bowl? What angle was he holding that when he puffed it out? How long did he soak heat into that piece before shaping it? What does his flame look like when he's fuming? How fast is he spinning his glass to do "that"? How large are the holes he makes when he connects 2 pieces of glass? You get the idea. It's the very basic fundamentals that are gained and can help you figure out why some things are not working out so well. So it's not that you make inside out spoons like Dustin Revere, its that you might push a better bowl or might make a nicer mouthpiece than i did in the very beginning thanks to him. And watch some Capglass videos too bro and pay attention to what his hands are doing.
    I'm sorry i went on a rant. Thats cool ur kiln is working and the hummingbird feeders are a good idea.

I've kinda cooled on the Revere videos specifically. They are really good and I still watch them, but they are a bit over edited and the guy's skill level is phenomenal and it makes it hard to be a primary instructional source. It's like trying to learn basketball by studying Michael Jordan greatest hits videos. There is a lot to learn, but its not a perfect source and its hard for me to even appreciate all of the subtleties that make it great at this point. I've been really enjoying the back catalog of the torchtalk channel (longer videos that are paced more realistically) and have been started my way through the the first volume of contemporary lampworking book which so far seems like a great resource.

Is there a term for this fume encasement I'm trying to do? I've played with it a bit and now I'm curious to read about this but I don't know the tec name to google. I'm going to try to do some similar stuff with marbles now that I can anneal the larger ones, I've seen a few posts on talkglass about doing implosion marbles similarly and it sounded fun.

if those are your first marbles (previous page), then you're off to a great start (appears you are anyhow, off to a good start). if you don't have a kiln at the moment and want more of your glass to survive cooling, that fiber blanket really does work pretty good. they say vermiculite also is good but i've no personal experience with it.
    You shouldn't be having sex for pleasure, only for reproduction.
    Thousands of people read my threads now. So Iím trying to not embarrass myself.

In a new development that I think RR11 will appreciate, I tried my hand at some IO frit spoons last night.

I pulled some points off of my 25mm tubing for a change of pace. I had a hell of a time reopening the ends cleanly, they feel too small but what to do I know?

GA Amazon Night medium frit. I really like how this turned out but I didn't get it distributed evenly, then didn't get it melted in great, and then finally got distracted by trying to open up the mouth hole. It was like the first time all over again! It majorly cracked while I was dinking around the mouth hole and I just kilned the pieces instead of trying to glue it together. I figured it was more interesting to be able to inspect the inside of the piece anyways.

GA Sno White large frit. I think this color is looks great as an IO frit job, it looks like little billowy clouds of white. In my excitement to get it in the kiln before it exploded like the Amazon Night piece, I forgot to flatten the bottom. It ended up being a tippy little billowy clouds of white pipe!

GA Aqua Azul small frit #1. I made quite a mess trying to work with this and didn't get it quite evenly mixed in. I'm pretty happy with it in general though.

GA Aqua Azul small frit #2. It looks pretty nice but the mouth end is all wonky because I had trouble opening the hole again.

https://i.imgur.com/MpOgddN.mp4
    GA Aqua Azul small frit #3. There ended up being a bit of frit that got sucked up into the end as I closed it and evened it out. I think this effect looks great and will probably be exploring it a bit in the future.

one thing that helped me with frit iso, besides taking it through the fires of hell and then farther, was melting half of the blank in, then switching blowtube ends and melting the other half. you can also switch bt ends with any spoon to give yourself a second chance to get everything the way u want it. either make the spoon backwards and get your mouthpiece shaped, then switch and start condensing the bowl end.
    Or pull the stem like normal, switch ends to shape mouthpiece and switch back again to finish. It sounds like alot of extra work, but it gives you alot of practice tearing open holes and connecting up.
    Another thing i did when i was struggling with frit was make smaller sections, open them up and connect them up, so the whole piece is fully melted and you get practice making connections.

heres a spoon i made last year. This way you have 3 smaller sections that are easier to control and u can learn more easily how far you have to take it to get a full melt. make a smaller blank (for the stem), make a ball of melted color, connect up, condense and puff and marver until its an even blank again, tear it open, connect your bt to the new color (now the moupiece), tear or pop open the middle color, add another small section of frit iso, finish shaping blank and shape your piece out.