The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Kube OpenLathe

Default Kube OpenLathe

Has anyone seen this and if so, any thoughts? Looks pretty cool. I dont think im ready for a lathe unless its a tabletop or affordable option. This is an open source plan to build your own. I'll take pics of the specs here in a few. Can't make it to shop tonight but i can at least hit u guys up. Alot of lathe posts lately have got me interested.

Default Re: Kube OpenLathe

I remember when this guy started selling these plans, but I don't know anyone who's built/used one. There are a few good cheap options though. I've seen Litton f lathes go for a grand or two, the seam lathes are heavy, but everyone I know with one likes it. Keep us posted if you buy the plans and build the lathe!

A friend of mine built one and it worked very well. In fact it’s how we met, I had heard that he built a Kube and I wanted to see it. I recall that he had to do some extra troubleshooting to get the drive electronics to operate smoothly. He used it for a couple of years before selling it. The chucks are small so it is very limited on the size of tubing that go thru them.
    If you’re handy and confident it would be an interesting project. Otherwise probably better to save one more year and buy used or import, I’m an experienced builder but after seeing it I bought a SEAM.

That said, I give Jordan Kube huge respect for creating and sharing this open source machine for all to access! The lathe will spin glass, no doubt about it!
    I do what I know, I don't know what I'm doing

Ya some Littons look small enough to fit in my shop. How much of a limit Cerebrus, would it hold 44mil?

Litton F and Litton U lathes are pretty small and easy to move around. I think the F tops out in the 30-40mm range, but the U will go larger. You also have the option to use chuck adapters, but you would be limited by spindle diameter and bed clearance. If you're not sure what model would work best for you, check out the specs on Littons website. I even think the HSA/HSJ models are easy to move around, but they do take 2 people. There's a pretty simple way to move a larger lathe like that by making lifting handles. Everyone I know with a SEAM lathe likes it but they are super heavy.

I use a U lathe every day, and I love it!