The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Antique glass tool for auction

Hybrid View

brads is offline Intelligence has its limits. Stupidity is infinite. Higher Learning Member0-1 years in glass!1-6 years in glass!7-12 years in glass!13-18 years in glass!19-25 years in glass!25-49 years in glass!Ninja Badge

Default Antique glass tool for auction

Since I know that not everyone uses Facebook, I thought I’d post this here as well. It’s posted in the Glassified group there.

The bidding starts at $125 (since I currently have $120 for an offer on Facebook). Like the other antique tools I posted in another recent FB thread, as well as some I sold a few months ago, I picked this up many years ago from an old family owned glass shop in Millville, NJ. They did contract work for Wheaton Glass since the beginning of time. (I think the retired owner said for 3 or 4 generations of his family - and he closed the shop in the 60s.)

This tool is pretty obviously hand-wrought and looks to be for tooling the top of some sort of bottle. It’s in nice condition and had a little bit of surface rusting which I mostly cleaned off. I then put a very light coat of oil on it to keep it from rusting again.

This tool has several makings on it that can be seen in the photos. The name stamped into the metal on the inside of the handle - C.W. Smith - is presumably the worker who used it. I assume that the other stamps on the outside of the handle - one of which was subsequently crossed out - probably refer to exactly what bottle or neck it was used to finish. One appears to read, “2 oz crown”. The one that’s crossed out looks like, “E 55”. (See the photos.) On the opposite side is stamped, "CPC 2X" with "1084" under that.

I took the center rod out of the tool for some photos to make it easier to see the name inside the handle. I also took a photo of the whole tool while it was apart. (Sorry about the poor fucus.) The center rod is back in place now. The nut holding it in is apparently not original. I say this because the nuts on all the other tools are square and apparently handmade, as is one of the nuts on this one. But the outer nut on this is a standard hex nut, so I suspect the original got lost and replaced at some point. That hex nut still looks pretty old, though. The tool is approximately 11 inches long overall.

Auction will end at 3pm eastern time on Wednesday. Bidding is in minimum $5 increments. Bid does not include shipping and insurance, which will be charged at actual cost. Paypal is best for payment.

More photos to come. (Internet is giving me trouble right now.)

You can see a video of the tool here: https://youtu.be/d1KQOqLoH9U

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	top.tool.full2.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	129.2 KB 
ID:	94096

Name:	cpc2x.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	188.2 KB 
ID:	94097

Name:	top.tool.name.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	169.1 KB 
ID:	94098

Name:	top.tool.close.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	378.7 KB 
ID:	94099

Name:	cw.smith.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	202.6 KB 
ID:	94100

Name:	2oz.crown.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	300.1 KB 
ID:	94101
    Last edited by brads; 10-09-2020 at 03:14 PM. Reason: added photos

brads is offline Intelligence has its limits. Stupidity is infinite. Higher Learning Member0-1 years in glass!1-6 years in glass!7-12 years in glass!13-18 years in glass!19-25 years in glass!25-49 years in glass!Ninja Badge

Default Re: Antique glass tool for auction

Just a reminder that the Facebook auction for this tool ends in about an hour and a half. Current bid price is still $120.