The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Rough Estimate to build a Scientific Glass Lab

Default Rough Estimate to build a Scientific Glass Lab

Hello all,

So I have gotten a bit distracted from glass lately helping set up an extraction laboratory, and it seems like it is going to keep me busy at least for the foreseeable future, the problem is extraction might be a passion, but glass is a lover, and I don't want to have to choose between sleep and glass. So the solution I have come up with is to convince the investors that it makes since to build a scientific glass lab in the warehouse so that we can do fabrication and repairs in house.

The way I am pitching it is that we should recruit some(1 or 2 people) talent straight out of Salem that is skilled at scientific glass, but passionate about making art. Have them help design and build a lab that would be capable of doing everything that we needed for the laboratory glassware side of things, but then let them use it however they want whenever we don't need any work done. We could then sell the art in the dispensary. This would also get me access to that equipment in my spare time in between whatever else I am doing, and I could learn scientific glass techniques first hand.

So what I need to get the ball rolling is a rough estimate of how much it would cost to build a fully capable glass lab setup to be run by 1 or 2 people. It is not my field of expertise yet, and I am fully immersed in extraction equipment right now so I haven't been able to do all the legwork to figure the equipment list, and the cost of said equipment, as well as the cost of ancillary, electrical and HVAC equipment.

I am not looking for anyone to do all the work for me of making a list or anything. We are going to have whoever we recruit pick what they want anyways. I was just hoping that someone had some experience setting one up and could give some very rough numbers of how much it ended up costing. I would be interested in brand new prices, but also if anyone has set one up using mostly secondhand equipment, how much did you pull that off for? Within like 100k would be good enough, unless its much cheaper than I am expecting, in which case within like 50k would be great.

Also if anyone happens to be skilled at scientific glass and is without a lab and would interested in talking about the potential opportunity please reach out.

lil' rhody. i know it's small, but it's the motion of the ocean state that matters!

Default Re: Rough Estimate to build a Scientific Glass Lab

i'd recommend hiring experienced scientific glassblowers; plenty of kids cum out of salem not knowing how to actually go about repairing complicated glassware.
    you could probably get up and running with 50k, if you got lucky. But 100k would get you a pretty decent shop if you got used lathes, and used kilns; with new equipment, you'd blow half of that just on a couple lathes.
    Quote Originally Posted by itssteve View Post
    Hey jimmi if this deal were to fall through (which I doubt will happen) I'll let my lynx go for a couple cooter pics of your sis. Pm me