The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Slow Death?

Default Slow Death?

In looking at the new posts, it sure seems like this forum is a deadman walking, any thoughts as to why this is?

Default Re: Slow Death?

facebook groups
    there is a treasure trove of knowledge here just got to look for it

Quote Originally Posted by IsthmusColor View Post
    facebook groups
    there is a treasure trove of knowledge here just got to look for it
    Yep, agree completely. However, there was a time when there were tons of people and new posts here daily, now that activity has greatly diminished. To me, this forum is one of the best things that helped lampworkers, GTT, the glass pipe industry, boro glass makers, DIYers, etc. I've moved away from glass, but still visit here periodically for old times sake, but wish that activity on this site would have increased rather than decreased. Just a little bummed, I consider this site the primary one-stop treasure shop of boro info.

It looks like the active thread stream now cuts off after the first page rather than letting you scroll through. Not sure if this is something on my end or a forum-wide issue.
    "But my dear man, reality is only a Rorschach ink-blot, you know."

Instagram_______Etsy_____

I feel like a lot of the older folks here moved away when some trolls moved in. Also people retiring, or moving on to other careers.
    I try to cruise through as much as I can to check in on the place. But I am not the owner of these forums.

I too am super happy to have all of this information in one spot.

Quote Originally Posted by AxisWolf View Post
    I feel like a lot of the older folks here moved away when some trolls moved in. Also people retiring, or moving on to other careers.
    I try to cruise through as much as I can to check in on the place. But I am not the owner of these forums.

I too am super happy to have all of this information in one spot.
    I must have missed the troll period. I remember that dude that always posted his wrap rake prodo (I forget his name though) on his utility shelf...was kind of funny but he set a lot of people off. I was amazed at how his WR prodo kept going year after year.

My fav thread was the HMK vapor rigs...this one should be a sticky, IMO

I love the HMK page when I was getting my feet wet. Man, talk about a mind warp, I thought glassblowing was just kind of side thing, but, it was really engaging when I found the Melting Pot, my work improved found positive feedback and new ways of creating! truly was a blessed time before Facebook sales groups kind of limited the sharing of free flowing ideas, but there is plenty of good information on the site. Well, keep on flaming, stay glassy my peeps.
    Is it Beer :30 yet?

lil' rhody. i know it's small, but it's the motion of the ocean state that matters!

them troll years were tough, bunch of people arguing just to argue, shit, this is the first day i've logged on in years, just couldn't take the tone.
    Quote Originally Posted by itssteve View Post
    Hey jimmi if this deal were to fall through (which I doubt will happen) I'll let my lynx go for a couple cooter pics of your sis. Pm me

The site could really use some updates, too. I'm not in a place to do that right now though, with school and all. Maybe this summer I dunno.

For now if ya'll see anyone having trouble with anything on the site, can you direct them to use Tapatalk app. It'll work just fine. Thanks. Love ya'll <3
    ~Misha

This site was the best thing in the glass world that could have happened to me to this day. When I was just getting into glass I was 21 in 2010. Part time job and saving up for my tools I sat on this site all day everyday. Back then we were just kids but my friends thought I was crazy and unsure about my glass venture and my glass venture would have been uncertain if not for the melting pot. This place is still and always will be a gem of knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by birdyburnman View Post
    This site was the best thing in the glass world that could have happened to me to this day. When I was just getting into glass I was 21 in 2010. Part time job and saving up for my tools I sat on this site all day everyday. Back then we were just kids but my friends thought I was crazy and unsure about my glass venture and my glass venture would have been uncertain if not for the melting pot. This place is still and always will be a gem of knowledge.
    Agree, this site is a gem...it was nice to be able to interact with folks on a daily basis...FB and other social media is not my bag, but those places are great for getting likes. Another awesome thread besides HMK's was Stroker's thread when he was transitioning from wood to boro, had to roll his lathe into his shop by himself. The dude really kicked some a$$.

I'm just getting the itch to get back into glass after multiple career changes. What groups are people joining to find information similar to this site? Facebook has turned into something I hardly want to log in to anymore.
    The organization of this site is very good and the sharing of knowledge was/is excellent.

I haven't found any of the FB groups to be too similar to here, personally. For example, the other day there was an inquiry about a tech (looked like a fume foldover tech to me), and while there were a couple helpful/insightful comments, the majority of the thread was a shitshow, ranging from insults to smug superiority and off-topic nonsense. Maybe there are groups I'm not aware of that are far more cordial (if so, I'd also be keen to know which ones), but ime, social media tends to be way less chill/helpfully engaged than forums regardless of the topic(s) at hand.
    "But my dear man, reality is only a Rorschach ink-blot, you know."

Instagram_______Etsy_____

yeah, at least with a forum format, it allows for focused (more or less) discussion of the topic at hand, which makes the format a much better knowledge base than the social media format. Again, this forum is a gem, imo.

Looking into doing some updates on here with a couple of the admin. Cross fingers that we can do it without much trouble cause it's been a while lol.

Also might need to do some fundraising to fund it.
    ~Misha

lil' rhody. i know it's small, but it's the motion of the ocean state that matters!

I'll kick in.
    this place is still home.
    Facebook is dogshit

what Jimi The Don said, perfectly said.
    You shouldn't be having sex for pleasure, only for reproduction.
    Thousands of people read my threads now. So I’m trying to not embarrass myself.

Im still here, and willing to help out where I can. So much great info. Would like to see it make a comeback.

I'm here, too. Life is uber-crazy right now, but I miss this place.

Christine Hansen
    www.christinehansen.com

I was on reddit and checked out the lampworking sub...its mediocre at best. two day old posts are dead. not going to go on ig or fb...prefer the forums.