The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Blowing in Commercial Area...Fire Marshall?

Default Blowing in Commercial Area...Fire Marshall?

I was offered a huge retail spot with a sweet basement in downtown Redding and I was thinking of setting up a retail spot upstairs and a couple of benches downstairs. I'm tempted to snag it up in the next couple of months, especially if I can blow glass AND sell glass from the same location.

So is anyone here blowing glass in a commercial environment (especially in a basement situation) and have you ever had a encounter with the Fire Marshall? I assume I would just have to hard line the gases from outside and figure out the ventilation?

I am concerned that the rules are different right downtown. I'm calling the Fire Marshall and the City of Redding on Monday, but it's on my mind now, so any help or suggestions are much appreciated.

Default Re: Blowing in Commercial Area...Fire Marshall?

Is it a free standing building or are you sharing walls with other business'? When we got business insurance they were really happy are hot shop was not attached to the retail spot. But i am not sure .

Done with Drain?

Yes, I'd sharing walls with other businesses. That was a another thing I was wondering about - business insurance. I'll PM you about that one...lol.

Fred - pretty much. I have some obligations to tend to here in April, but after that I'm a free agent. I've been wanting out of here for awhile, so I am thinking of jumping on this place in Redding. It was recently remodeled, it's secure, and it's already full of really nice display cases. I have the hook-up on the place too, so they'll hold it for me until after April, which is good because I'll need to find some decent startup capital...lol.

Hey Nate!
    Well I did have a big shop in Portland, and we did have to hard line our gases, as well as build a cage OUTside for the liqiod oxy AND a seperate cage for the propane( concrete)!! this was the requirements for the city of Portland. My landlord and insurance agent wanted an OK from the fire marshall.
    Does your landlord know, or care? you might have to ease them into the fire thing!?
    good luck!
    christina

Yo Nate, what up? Thinking about sweating your ass off here in Redding this summer, eh?

Where's the space?

I thought about doing something similar for a second, but realized my wife and I are not the types to be tied to store hours. Also, I supply a few local guys with materials, but I am thinking about dropping it, as I'm sick of dealing with it. Don't know if you are planning on selling supplies, but if so, I could steer those guys and some others your way.

I'm interested on hearing more. Just retail or any other plans with that? Let me know, I'll help out if I can.

You just need a massage license...

lol man that sounds like a good setup. You may want your station where you can see your retail area. I found that it was much easier to work 12 noon to 10 pm and stop and help customers when people came in than to set store hours and work glass the hours that the store is not open.
    Last edited by skip; 02-25-2007 at 04:02 PM.

I'd start with the building inspectors office instead of the fire marshall. Many times the building inspector knows more than the fire marshall does, especially about codes.

Hey. got your PM. Check yours.

Hey N8 sound like a great opportunity, I hope it works out for ya!
    Josh

Our fire marshal was here for all of 10 min. LP outside, LO2 inside. All he wanted to see were two exits with back lit, battery backed up signs and up to date fire extinguishers. He also looked at the breaker box to make sure all the circuts had cover plates. Upon leaving, he asked us to put a sign next to the entrance stating that there was O2 inside so that the firefighters would know before they entered the building. All and all, no worries. City building codes can be a bitch, but it's nothing that can't be delt with. We are in a strip type setup, as long as your on the up and up, and hire professionals to do you wiring, gas plumbig, etc you shouldn't run into too many hastles. Good Luck!!

Fire marshalls like steak and lobster dinners, then its usually a done deal.

I had (and decided to do it again this summer after a 13 year break) a store in town, I didn't notify anyone (small tourist town), they never bothered me and sure they saw a big ass flame in the window at night, but knowing a lot of people in a small town helps.

hope it works out, I used a 20lb tank under my bench, maybe not ideal, but have one in my studio now...not one mishap in 32 years....so in Redding, I'd check being a stranger to the fire Dept. and all.

steve

Good luck if you go ahead and take the plunge.

Have you warmed up from our ride this morning yet?

LOL
    Living Glass Works: An investment in innovation.

Barely - my toes are STILL frozen!

So what ya gunna sell me when you move this time??? I might have my eye on some of your stuff...lol Get ahold of me Nate....

Lee

you can go down town and ask them "what if" before you do anything.this will allow you to find out what requirements will be needed for it to work. this is probly the best way. cuz if ya just do it and they find out the wrong way they will be mad and can give you problems all the way through. It is a big game, play by the rules and you win