The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Glass Blowing in North Florida

Default Re: Glass Blowing in North Florida

There are a couple of groups of people doing stuff in St Pete, but thats like 2 hours from gainesville. I haven't gotten a warm response from the locals here though.

Oh Sky's place... haven't had the opportunity to actually meet him or see his place. Sounds great!

Oh yah, just to let evryone know in FL we have a Wendsday night thing going on at Lucid Visions and if you're ever interested give a call. It's just a regular thing to get some blowers together , we just do whatrever strikes us, sometimes collabing or just sharing techs or ideas.

Chubbles, You just haven't met the right locals yet. I'll be in the st. pete area for the next two weeks. pm me your phone number maybe we can get a collab going before I move to tallahassee.

Quote Originally Posted by lucidvisions
    We're in Jax Beach, feel free to contact us anytime, we are always willing to meet and greet another lampworker, currently know of six of so locals that lampwork, and a couple that do soft glass, we give workshops and we're always willing to share, but then again there's nothing going on in North FL...

Josh Bergesen
    Lance Sanford

lucidvisions@clearwire.net
    904-553-2360

I'm located in Northwest Florida(Pensacola). There is not too much of a scene around here, but I know a few other people who torch. There is a place hotshop here called Belmont Arts Center. Joe Hobbs teachers there. I've been trying to put together a more serious scene in this neck of the woods for a while. the setup down around jax and gainesville sounds cool as shit.
    Peace,
    Mike

....Holy Shit!! That guy just cup-stuffed a Kitten!!!

Wow it's been a long day. I woke early feeling ambitious and ripped the old deck off the roof then the roofing. Hey Harp thanks for the kind words you should come hang out in G-ville for a week or two. We are getting ready to start the runs of ornaments and what-nots you know the deal we can always used experienced help. Back to the deck it's on the top of a geodesic dome and we want to go with a turret type shape with a domed roof. The deck and handrails are turning out to be a nightmare. long day

I started writing this last night then my Dad job kicked in and I ended up putting myself to sleep in the kids room. LOL :

HaHa I'm laughing at my post. It sounds a little to posh. Well that's the vision and everything is true exept the"well equipped cold shop" which really is a mess and frustrates me when I have a lot of it to do. Our fall line for the shows includes 3/4 plate cut sandblasted kiln formed and cold worked again. Mostly large leaf forms. That's a lot of time to stand in a mosquito filled space with lousy lighting and stuff piled on top of everything.
    The flameworking area has a large octagon that is used by beaders and marblemakers. It has a large hood and good lighting. They have there own annealling space and storage for different coe glasses. This area and the fusing area stay fairly clean because of the classes. The lathe separates that area and the other benches. Two long 20' benches covered with 1/4 aluminium are plumbed with air gas and o2 but only 4 burners set up now. The ventilation is set up with individual hoods and axial fans blowing into a plenum. Still needs tightening up but will be top notch.
    The hot shop is where I like to spend my time. Last year we ran bare bones, this year it will be better and hope to offer off hand classes in the spring. Still dealing with electrical upgrade issues and working on the 2nd story roof. The hotshop has a 30' tall 10x10 crows nest in the middle. This area is also used as a hot wall and houses the gloryholes. There will be a 10' wide walkway across the top of the hot shop for viewing. We hard plumbed all the gas lines, ran air water and all that jazz before we poured the concrete. We also set up a flameworking bench and it works into our production line seamless. We make a lot of small bud vases and finish them off at bench.
    Anyway give a call we are 10min from downtown 3miles west of I75.

Hey Josh? Lance? you guys should both visit sometime.
    All the classes are thru SanteFe community college we can expand the program for any classes we can fill. They are a great college to work with and I'm very thankful to have them. It would be great to host all you guys to teach your skills.

Sky

Sky don't have any #'s and such, feel free to PM so we can hook up sometime soon. I see a bit of free time soon and I know with x-mas already beating down the door it's gonna be few and far between. thanks josh

yeah im definetly looking for something in or around tallahassee, fl that has to do with glass blowing i've always been really interested in it.

ive been trying to get into glass blowing but i don't know where to start or where to go in tallahassee

The university up in Jacksonville also has a kick ass facility.