The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 2-D art????

Default 2-D art????

does anybody here draw or paint? I just took some pictures of some old bullshit I did over the years and realised I don't really draw or paint much anymore, I still keep one mean sketch book but no long term projects.

So whats the deal, anyone else? I do think my ideas in glass are similar to my 2-d stuff in some ways. Does anybody else keep a sketch book or draw ideas out before you start to work?

here is some my old stuff I just found...

http://www.glassartists.org/Gal21398..._2-D_stuff.asp
    "The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it." -George Carlin

my glassartists site

Default Re: 2-D art????

I draw stuff all the time, I do Alot of soft pastel work, mainly really realistic landscape and macro plant work, I also oil paint every know and then in the impressonist style. of course over the years I have tried every form of art I could get my hands on from drawing to metal forging and stone carving. To this day I keep a sketch book with me almost all the time, of course these days it is just filled with stuff I want to create in glass and not actual pictures.

Micah you are an amazing artist both with glass ond on paper, wow.
    Most of my drawings are cartoonish but have been drawning as long as I can remember.

Dave

I still try to sketch every dayright now, sometimes weeks go by without a chance but I usually go through sketch books pretty quick. All my sketches now are strictly glass related, I was thinking it might do me some good to dome some other stuff though.

thanks for the kind words Dave, I envy those who can draw cartoonish, my stuff is always tight and anal, I wish I could loosen up sometimes....
    "The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it." -George Carlin

my glassartists site

Forget about it...tight and anal is working for ya, man. That Robert Johnson is the bomb. Love the knot, too. I don't have the patience to draw or paint...my wife (full-time lampworker, doesn't post here) paints on a pretty regular basis, though.

nice pieces

a sketchbook never leaves my side

Hm... It's all I used to do! Haven't sketched/drawn/painted anything in at least 12 years. I was thinking about trying again but after so much time away... that's just a little scary.

That's some nice work, Micah!
    JC Herrell

JCHerrell.com

Hey,

That Robert Johnson is pretty sweet bro...

........Bird

I sketch out ideas all the time before I start . Just the basic shape though . Does anybody
    use color when they sketch there Ideas I tried it once or twice to see if the color combos
    looked good but It just didnt transfer over well. heres some of my smaller sketches. tell me what you all think

http://www.myspace.com/3061102

thanks bird, that robert johnson is probably one of my better blues portraits, I have a bunch of muddy waters, lightning hopkins and mississipi john hurt too.

Hell yeah hookedonsilicate, nice drawings, I love the graphite! and thats a pretty cool knot, I spent a good couple of years designing knots, they all had to be one line! Love to see more!

my glassartists site

I used to draw all the time in high school..."teenage angst has paid off well, now i'm bored and old"...I try from time to time again but nothing works for me. I always did black and white tight little geometric designs, pretty much the opposite of my glass. I try to sketch stuff out that i want to do as well but it never really works for me.

I hear ya jup, i used to try and design specific things in my sketch book but they never quite turned out. Now i tend to just sketch to document ideas to expand on later. It seems to work better for me if I don't try and commit too much to the sketch.

my glassartists site