The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Entry door handle hardware

Default Entry door handle hardware

Hello all, Looking for the hardware to make my own door handles. I built my own house recently and want to finish it out with some nice handles. Not for cabinets, but for door handles that turn. I used the search function but all those turn up for cabinet knobs. Please pm me or post here if you know of a source. I know I saw somebody on here making them at one point. Thanks, J
    Quote Originally Posted by AVC-Ed View Post
    We are shipping orders in 1-2 days, there have been no reported problems of anything

"Shaping the connection between Art and Agricullture"
    www.Locallygrownart.com
    www.carolinabiofuels.org

Default Re: Entry door handle hardware

I don't know about entry doors (smashable doorknobs seem like a security risk) but there was a guy over on one of the furnace forums that was selling brass pieces that you could use to make internal knobs. I bought 4 of them but haven't had the chance to actually try making something to fit them yet.

He was the only source I found for them though, and he had them machined in a bulk order so they aren't really a common item.
    Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around, and desert you.

I would just buy plain glass ones available at lowes or home depot cut off the glass and glue yours on.
    I think the kiss rule trumps all at least for this job.

Quote Originally Posted by somewhere View Post
    I would just buy plain glass ones available at lowes or home depot cut off the glass and glue yours on.
    I think the kiss rule trumps all at least for this job.

Or you may be able to find just the brass or metal threaded cuff that holds the old style door knobs on. Either way, this seems to be the easiest option. I have thought about making some door knobs myself, I would most likely make a hollow knob and fill it with epoxy. Maybe thread a polyethylene plastic (the translucent harder plastic tubing sold at most hardware stores) sleeve over the metal bolt that will be inserted into the hollow glass knob this way there will be a material that can thread onto the bolt. fill the knob with epoxy set the bolt with sleeve into the knob and let it set up. that is what i would do.

http://www.amazon.com/DOOR-KNOBS-GLA.../dp/B001PIAN5S

Quote Originally Posted by ITIS View Post
    Or you may be able to find just the brass or metal threaded cuff that holds the old style door knobs on.....[/URL]
    Some door knob spindles have threaded holes. You wouldn't need to put anything in the knob, other than a hole.

If you make me a simple drawing I can cast or machine the parts for you.