The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: A typical production day

Default A typical production day

jsut wondering what it consists of for other people and how long you work at day?

Ive been stuck making pendants to pay for everything lately(or forever) so ive been doing about twentyfive pendants (implosion flowers) in five hours. Dont know if im slacking or what. Yesterday i made about thirty double stacked heart pendants in five hours(after pulling the cane). When i do turtles,frogs,sculpted flowers, or wine stoppers about fifteen to twenty a day. i guess 400-600 dollars worth of retail a day is the goal....does this sound right?

Default Re: A typical production day

If you can sell that much you're doing great!

I make pendants so I guess Ill chime in.

I have quite a few prodo pendants that I make (different prices 5, 8, 10).

I make soft glass dicro pendants probably at least 15 in an 1 hour - 1.2 hours.

I make silver fumed tube implosion pendants about 8 in hour.

silver fumed rod implosion pendants about 6 an hour.

small honeycomb pendants about 6-8 in an hour.

there are some other techs I do for prodo like internal twist, dot on dot, etc.

Most of the prodo I make, is off pulled off a tube or cane which helps me get the pieces get done quicker. This helps me keep the price lower and beat out any competition I have.

the pendants I price more than $10 I of course take more time on. And sometimes I make a prodo pendant that ends up coming out nicer than the price range I intended it for so I change the price.

I personally take too long at any type of implosion and dont really care to sell implosions as prodo. (except silver fumed ones)

I normally work 8 hours, actual torch time. The retail is normally right around 400 to 700ish. I dont really try and shoot for an x amount of money per day that I try to make, instead for example I schedule making a certain type of prodo for the first part, then non prodo, and then setup my tubes and canes for the next day. It really varies, so my end of day total amount can really fluctuate. I am not "stuck" selling pendants, I sell pendants at a weekend market here so I always have customers. I dont just make prodo, I probably spend more time making non prodo pendants. anyways thats just me...im not very fast at lampworking either (6.5 years experience) especially since I tend to smoke bud when I blow glass.
    Last edited by glasspapi; 10-17-2006 at 11:15 AM.

Mellowout, you are kicking ass... keep it up!!!

Blog Entries

400-600 is fucking awesome but i suspect that you know this. you are either the most humble person in the world or you are bragging. either way keep it up and try to put something away for a rainy day.
    peace, m
    "Scientists proposed that male lion's skill at ambushing prey in dense vegetation was previously unknown because of scientists' fear of being ambushed by male lions in dense vegetation." Harpers, findings, may 2013

my goal is usually around 5-6 pendants an hour. My wholesale price average is $18. Just this last weekend, some guy was pricing his pendants @ 78 bucks, wow, and people were buying them, go figure. Know your market. and keep up the good work mellowout.
    dread cutter

i have almost zero market for my stuff, and no distrib.....
    but if i get on it, and stay on it....i can make 6-8 dichro galaxy pendants in an hour....somewhere around the same # on wrap/rake spoons......4-6 i/o spoons (if they're decent, more if they're janky)

lately my prodo day goes....turn on gas, and kiln.....safety break.
    make a 1/2 dozen dichro pendants.....cigarette.
    make an oil lamp that takes 3 times longer than it should, cuz i'm only making one, and have to make each part as i need it, instead of making 10 feet, 10 tops, 10 avoglia, etc.....safety break.
    get pissed off that i can make nice stuff, and have nowhere to go with it......ramp kiln.....leave
    -f
    ps. oh, and before the naysayers start in, WITHOUT the safety breaks, i leave before the oil lamp.
    Last edited by jiminyrootkit; 10-17-2006 at 11:30 AM.
    I promise to comfort the afflicted, and to afflict the comfortable.
    That I will never accept what I am told.
    That I will never fall in love with safety and forget liberty.
    I promise that I will look for the lie in every pretty story, and the bribe in every convenience.

Quote Originally Posted by jiminyrootkit View Post
    get pissed off that i can make nice stuff, and have nowhere to go with it......ramp kiln.....leave
    -f
    i hear you. sounds like me when i am doing hollow work.
    dread cutter