I have been listing glass on ebay for several years now and follow a lot of the boro glass for sale on ebay. I also now work for Kimble and sell their glass as well.

Kimble produces mainly two types of borosilicate glass, Kimax KG-33 a 33Coe glass and N51A a 55Coe Glass. N51A glass is still considered a Borosilicate glass but would be in compatible with the 33 COE glasses we generally use.

I have noticed several listings on ebay for Kimax glass and calling it Pyrex as a generic name without giving the COE value and some reference to the N51A type. Such as, "can be melted with a propane torch." or going to their seperate website and all of the listings are under N51A.

I have emailed these sellers and asked them to clarify there listings on ebay or I will have ebay remove them. Until that happens I wanted to put out the warning.

If you buy boro glass off of ebay, please make sure you know what the COE is or compatibility.

I would hate for someone to buy glass just because it was cheap and then spend a lot of time and have their projects crack and then start saying Kimble glass was bad because all of their projects cracked when they didn't have the right glass to begin with.

David
Kansas-Glass