The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ask throwdown

Default Ask throwdown

I'm not one to beg..... But......

I did super good at the "a.d.k. throw down." It took place all week.

I made 2 flowers, 12 leaves, 2 bud clusters, a removable mouthpiece, and the pot was 8" by 6". Over a foot tall in under 7.5 hours

The pot has 3 bulbs and a full root system inside.

Voting for the winner will be on instagram sat.

https://www.instagram.com/42degrees.gf/

You don't need to vote for me, just vote what's best.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181206_220209.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	93394

My piece w/ removable mouth piece. Its next to a Quins hammer bubbler.

This hot pic is Jank, Professional pics Saturday.
    Last edited by BORO; 12-07-2018 at 02:01 AM.

Default Re: Ask throwdown

damn that looks nice! <3 I don't see where to vote?

Nice work dude, I'll go check out the vote!

Vote for the winner of the flame off is Saturday? Last two competitors are today. (Visionary and b money )

Name:	20181207_133757.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	2.99 MB 
ID:	93395
    Last edited by BORO; 12-07-2018 at 11:40 AM.

Voting is open

Congrats to BORO for winning second place!

I have a story for you all . Please read it because I need all of your guys help.
    I want to put a prefeace that I am very laid back. Anyone who knows me knows I'm very honest. I give it all away and never have had to worry. It comes back to you. My presence on this sight alone should be proof if you have spent any time here.
    I am not trying to slander anyone. I am not trying to put up an opinion either. I just need this documented publicly as it is still very fresh in my mind.

Here is what I saw go down at 42 degrees glens falls. " a.d.k. throwdown."

I knew when it was announced that certain people involved as contestants, or otherwise in the industry seem to treat me unfairly. It seems as if no one takes me seriously. I have 200 Instagram followers because I dont believe in the drama, or the pissing match that is social media. Combine that with the giving nature and some people get uncomfortable?
    That all being said, I had to do good because the cards were stacked against me and I have a lot to prove.

The day it was announced was the day my 28 year old cousin (little brother to me ) died unexpectedly. So I took it very serious. I need to live my life for two people now.
    I spent my own money to go to Michigan to practice with competent people for over a month.. Having a lot to prove, When I was in Michigan , I got a lazer from Mike Lee at global glass. It's powerful and can light a fire..... But I can't rock a gun out in 8 hours.

I get back to glens falls and show a few people the lazer. including KlIP GLASS, a employee of 42 degrees. (Throwing a little counter intelligence.) I figure it may come back to me but that's kinda the point. Klip was the self proclaimed kepper of the event time.

I continue to practice locally. (2 months practice total.)

Monday round 1. I stop in to see whats up for ten minuets. I did not see Hickory's piece it was soaking. VT boro made a super clean Rig. I go back to practice.

Tuesday round 2. I go in to see Tammy and Danny. I am presented an email at the sales counter by Robin. This email discusses rules. Says "#1.No prep , refer to pipe classic rules. #2 25% of vote is Instagram, 50% in house, the last 25% is Brian the kid putting up money." (I never would have agreed, I have 200 followers not 30k. how is that fair? The cards were stacked I already knew.)
    In this email I was excluded from, it has everyone's email contact but mine on it. I am then immediatey told mixed media was out. I said "why pipe classic was a hour at the end cold work mixed media." I ask to see pipe classic rules... Rules can not be produced. They say tammy makes the final call. (Also Fwiw , my email is on the top of my Instagram page.)

I am told by KLIP GLASS , " Its not out, you just have to work your piece, and crash it and cold work a lazer in 8 hours." .. a.k.a. its out.

Im ok with that , except I wanted to make a lamp attachment that was " a joint with a straw and bubble." Wired up to go into the mouthpiece 10 mm joint (interchangeable) so it doubles as a lamp. I ask " can I bring saw cut tube , but cut long ways?" They say yes. I go back to practice.

Wensday. I miss round 3. I drive a state away to get color and a tiny band saw to cut tube. Im not getting thrown out over cut tube, the cards are stacked against me. Then I go back to practice.

Thursday, My round , I feel great, I do great, I never crack one thing, I finished with 36 mins to spare because im not going to make the attachment. im stoked beyond belief, its over a foot tall, very impressive in person. I practiced my ass off and it shows.

Friday. I come in to check whats up again last round. Visionary is working a giant black sheet of glass for a backround. It blew up.( ouch.) I ask for a time check, its 850. The counter girl comes over and says "visionary has till 930. b money has till 9 45." I ask what the start time was? I'm told 12:30. Mirssa the counter girl says "I trust them to be honest with their times" . I say " that does not add up." Visionary replies "Bmoney took less breaks and that's the time difference." I reply," if he took less breaks he will be done before you." ( competitors are working shoulder to shoulder. ) I then go down stairs to ask KLIP what's up with the time hold. Klip says " kip does not feel good, he does not care , no hold, b money is going to go over." I come back upstairs and ask B-money what time he started. he says...…... " 12 30...…………………. ish " and keeps working , I say he is going to go over. Its 9 20. (he has 10 mins to finish easily) B money then goes over, by building that solid arm tree attachment, pulling all the temporary bridges, and finishing at 946. The whole time me looking at clock on my phone every 30 seconds. He proclaims "BEST pipe ever in 8 hours , show me the loosers." I say ," best pipe in 8 and a quarter hours." I walk down stairs to the lounge where Klip Glass is sleeping.

B-money follows down after his round. I ask if he needs any special lighting for fume pictures. I am coming in at 9 30 to clean glass for the pro photographer on my own. Bmoney says no he just need his simple banger to show its not a push bub. I reply "Mixed media is out. if you want a personal pic pro shot with the banger that's cool."" No banger in the vote pic." B-Money starts to get pushy about how his piece looks like a push bubbler. Klip then lets them in. (So bangers are in, fine.) I tell Klip before I leave," bangers are in. Also it needs to be taken into consideration that BMONEY went over by a quarter hour at least." (their rules.) I dont want a enemy It just needs to be known in the judging room he went OVER." Klip agrees.

Saturday morning...…. I come in on my own accord at 9:30 to clean finger prints, swap bulbs , do extra to help out the camera girl. B-Money's piece has a giant diamond laser cut banger. I say nothing I'm still confident. Visionary is cutting up a felt background because he broke his glass one. . Mixed media the owner o.k.'ed ( I dont care visionary is a great guy, with a great future, I know its mixed media, but I want no enemy, I say nothing.) I pull Klip aside when he comes in after pics. I say again , b money went over , I dont want him to loose plublicity by making it public, It just NEEDS to be known in judging if it comes down to that. Klip Glass agrees again and walks away from the display case.

Saturday night. I come in and check it out the party was very nice. super loud live band p.a. about 3" from my piece on the end of the shelf.(sigh) I ask for a slip to vote. Robin the owner tells me that no voting for contestants. 30 minuets later Quinn is laughing at me because every artist voted. I protest, I get to vote.

voting was 7 to 12. at ten they stop the ballots. all my friends who get out at 10 are denied because they change the time from 12 to 10. again , Im confident if you look at the work.

Owner comes out with the tally. B money wins. Brian the kid who put up the prize money asks if I will take $1500, with in the first 30 seconds of loosing. I tell him we can talk later. I walk out.

As I stand outside looking at b money throw counterfit 100's that he brought , I think... "I will loose sleep for a decade if I dont stand up for myself. " I walk back in as Bmoney gets pics taken. I ask "when did you start?" B-money says " 12:30" I asked how he finished at 9:46? Please do the math for me?" B-money just stands there says nothing. I walk out Im hot. I need to make sure its perfectly clear. I walk back in , look at the judges, and say ," He went over by a lot, I told 42, why did he win? if Hickory had a extra 15 he would have finished and we may not be here." I walk out to not start yelling. im out $2500, the promotion , the followers, the prestige.

Bmoney leaves and can not justify his actions.

I go home. I vent to friends that have time stamp text from way before the vote, with me talking about" b-money going over" and I dont want a enemy. the counter girl is on my side 100%. Even thought she was working and did not see it all. She said the one text about the time never was received. She is a close friend I believe her. Still I had Klip agree as a fail safe. Mirssia the counter girl is PISSED.

I wake up first thing sunday to texts from Klip glass at 5am. He is obviously still up partying. He tells me unprovoked that 42 is not changing anything and I can deal. I reply with sleep in my eyes... "42 will burn" "loose my number" …… Now I totally regret getting baited into even answering him. the 42 comment is about social media but I was not clear. obviously the kid who just cheated me out of 2500 ect… texting at 5am, I regret it. I regret texting a 2o something year old who lives at mom's and has never had a licecene, only blown glass for a few months.I showed him whatever he wanted on top of loads of free color that I actually worked for. Never asking for anything in return? Yes, I regret the text. (He is not 42. He is counter help. ) Either way, im being perfectly honest and up front with all of you.

I text the owner Robin for a explanation. He calls. He asks what I want him to do. He claims he cant ask for the money back. Thinking its about money, he obviously does not know me. It is NEVER about the money. I tell him I want no money. I want what I earned fair and square. Bmoney is thrown out. You at least ask for the money back. Klip was the root of all of it he is fired. Robin answers me that the vote was so close they needed a recount. (flip counting) They decided in the judging room that "The local boy in house blower cant win it would look like a scam. " I reply "Why was I in it then?!" Robin the owner says he needs a day to make it right. B money asked for another 100$ for the banger right when they handed him 2500, knowing he cheated maliciously.

two days go by. I talk to the counter girl but she said robin got sick and needs more time. I give them another 24. I then call robin tonight to ask for a decision. First thing he says is he has not made a decision. I tell him if tammy disputed. B money it would be stripped. ( Dont get me wrong Tammy was fine to me this week she is just Robin the owners favorite.) He starts to get very upset, and tells me he is sick , and its bullshit people keep calling him and waking him up. He yells how he lost so much money and hangs up. I write a text asking him to calm down for 30 and call me. He calls right back. will not let me talk, As soon as I said "Your the local politician for the green party, you are supposed to make fair unbiased decisions for the community?! He did not like that, "If I had a issue, telling two of the three employees was not enough. (EVEN though he was not around at the Friday night event.) Yells about loosing money and how he does not give a shit if Bmoney took two hours. B money won the vote Drew lost! if I want my piece call the cops to come get it! Call the news call whoever, they will laugh at you.

Counter girl Mirissa texts me that "Klip glass" is now trying to tell everyone that I'm a terrorist and trying to burn down 42. Yesterday Klip said it was "my greasy glass was tapered so it was pre pulled tube, your out" .... ah..... ya, its all pre pulled?! The day before was "I broke up my breakes up in the event" I took less than the time offered by 36 mins. I completed my piece in the time set before me.under 7.5 hours total. I followed all the rules. Marissa feels terrible. Klip and Robin are grasping at straws. She sees this going bad, and wants nothing to do with it knowing I am getting cheated.

So now what do I do? I have tried super hard to be very p.c and correct about this all. I dont want to break t.o.s.

I need help from the industry. Would the pipe classic let this happen? Would champs?! Why is this ok when so many people were a part of it?

I have stayed off social media as to not get into it with Bmoney. This is my first outreach. please spread the word.

opinions and a push for justice on social media sure would help. If you need to contact me in private a p.m. is fine unless you have my #

My text to the counter girl. Saturday afternoon.

Name:	Screenshot_2018-12-09-02-54-48~2.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	121.9 KB 
ID:	93407

Name:	Screenshot_2018-12-09-02-54-42~2.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	117.3 KB 
ID:	93408

KlipGlass

Name:	Screenshot_2018-12-10-20-04-29~2.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	93409

Rules

Name:	42degrees throwdown 5.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	2.07 MB 
ID:	93403
    My text to Robin the owner today, tuesday when he hung up on me. (B money won on Saturday)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_2018-12-11-23-10-52~2.png  
    Last edited by BORO; 12-12-2018 at 12:36 PM.

It's worth noting , I have not worked in 42 degrees for 2 years. I am not the in house guy.

B moneys with added solid attachment and laser cut banger.

Name:	Screenshot_2018-12-12-00-07-06.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	478.7 KB 
ID:	93410

Mine

Name:	Screenshot_2018-12-08-21-51-34.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	586.4 KB 
ID:	93411
    Last edited by BORO; 12-12-2018 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BoRo View Post
    for justice on social media
    Sorry my friend but this simply will not come true. Social media and truth or justice simply do not mix.
    Since you appear to dislike the cult of personality aspect of the high roller glass world you may want to simply not participate in future events and consider this an expensive learning moment.
    I agree with you that it's super lame the bending of the rules and weak enforcement. It sounds like the nepotism runs wide and deep which is never a good thing.
    Host your own competition with local artists and keep the rules simple so you can all just enjoy pushing yourselves to limits of your skill. $100 entry and winner take all, like a poker game, then blind draw names from a hat and everyone ends up with someone elses piece.
    I do what I know, I don't know what I'm doing

I'm not too concerned. If I need to seek A legal counsult I will.

Justice is our industry making a note of this.
    Justice is everyone forever knowing b money is a cheater , everyone knows klip glass is a cheater. It is very cut and dry.

Justice will be the next time they try to throw a event, people will think twice.

Also , Rules state 25% internet. 50% in house 25% Brian the money guy. I was told all the people in the judging Room including Brian claim to have voted for me,. I took the votes in house. I did not take the most votes on instagram.

Y
    Last edited by BORO; 12-12-2018 at 03:21 PM.

You say your not concerned but if you have to take legal action your will...... seems like your concerned.

You can learn from this or you can keep whining about it but what will it give you?.... It will just make you look like a poor looser and a whiner or you can take it like maybe it was rigged from the start and no one else had a chance...So be it...

It states that you have 8 hours to do the work but it also stated that if more time is needed then someone will stay for you.....so there is the escape route for them..

Even if they say ok you win what will it give you? Its like two people in the Olympics where one wins first place and the other second place..They stand on the podium and benefit the rewards..Two weeks later its proven that the first place was on steroids so its given to the second place... too late as no one remembers this...

Its politics...there is and always with be clicks/groups/buddies in everything..If your not part of those then its a lot harder as they have hundreds of sheep that follow them and vote for them even if their work is shitty and it is what it is..

Let it go.. you stated what you had to state so now move on..Its not going to get you anywhere except making yourself look bad..

Your doing top end work so continue doing it and never mind trying to get recognition from others... stop trying to prove something to others and don't look for approval from anyone.

Don't go to them or anyone for recognition.. Let your work do that.. your work is good, so by doing good work people will recognize you and your talents...Let the work prove that and people recognize that...

Present yourself in a profession manner, both in your work and in what you say and everything will prevail.... People are not stupid and recognize what is going on..

Let your work speak for you.

what a f@cking shit show Drew. i'm so sorry to hear that it came out like this (stacked against you/honest man loses type shit). keep your head up my dude.

Fwiw, i know from personal experience that Drew/BoRo is the best damn people there is, truly has a humongous heart and is "in it" for only the right reasons.

ps, we need to try and link up after the holidays are over. i'm torchless right now, but that will be rectified very soon i think/hope.
    You shouldn't be having sex for pleasure, only for reproduction.
    Thousands of people read my threads now. So I’m trying to not embarrass myself.

Damn boro that sucks, sounds like a complete shit show. I used to compete in sports when I was a kid and don't plan on ever trying to compete in glass. The only thing I'd ever show up for is one of those huge colabs, that would hopefully be sold for charity. Or maybe melt, but I'm weary of the ventilation in those tents.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpcanoe View Post
    You say your not concerned but if you have to take legal action your will...... seems like your concerned.

You can learn from this or you can keep whining about it but what will it give you?.... It will just make you look like a poor looser and a whiner or you can take it like maybe it was rigged from the start and no one else had a chance...So be it...

It states that you have 8 hours to do the work but it also stated that if more time is needed then someone will stay for you.....so there is the escape route for them..

Even if they say ok you win what will it give you? Its like two people in the Olympics where one wins first place and the other second place..They stand on the podium and benefit the rewards..Two weeks later its proven that the first place was on steroids so its given to the second place... too late as no one remembers this...

Its politics...there is and always with be clicks/groups/buddies in everything..If your not part of those then its a lot harder as they have hundreds of sheep that follow them and vote for them even if their work is shitty and it is what it is..

Let it go.. you stated what you had to state so now move on..Its not going to get you anywhere except making yourself look bad..

Your doing top end work so continue doing it and never mind trying to get recognition from others... stop trying to prove something to others and don't look for approval from anyone.

Don't go to them or anyone for recognition.. Let your work do that.. your work is good, so by doing good work people will recognize you and your talents...Let the work prove that and people recognize that...

Present yourself in a profession manner, both in your work and in what you say and everything will prevail.... People are not stupid and recognize what is going on..

Let your work speak for you.

1. This thread does not sound like whining to me. It sounds like Drew is asking for some feedback on the situation. To most whom have read it it would appear that he got the shit end of the stick here.

2. It states 8 hours to complete the work. The time staying late is not in excess of 8 hours, that is just stating that if you wanted to schedule your work from 1-9 than they could accommodate that and someone would stay with you until 9. It clearly states you have 8 hours to complete the work.

3. If they say that drew wins what does he gain? How about the $2500 that he missed out on. Sure the glory of winning the day of the event cannot be replaced but that check for $2500 sure as hell can.

4. Letting your work speak for yourself is great and all, and that is how it should be at a competition like this. But clearly the rules were bent in favor of the winner. Letting the work speak for itself does jack shit in this situation. Drew is trying to advocate for himself as an artist and is standing up and shining light on an unfair situation.

5. I agree that presenting yourself in a professional manner is always the high road and will be beneficial in the long run, but man this whole situation has got to make your blood boil if you were the one it was happening to.

Sorry you had to go through this Drew. I hope something good can come out of this. Your work is gorgeous and you should be very proud of it!

Cheers
    "Destruction leads to a very rough road, but it also breeds creation."

We all know Boro is a stand up dude on our forum, and I can tell you from experience that he is the same way in person. We hadn't even met yet and he saw me in a TMP shirt, and it was instant love, Drew is a stand up dude for sure. I think it sounds like Drew needs some support here. It really sounds like you got fucked man. There are a lot of considerations (like all of the specific conversations you had with these people), but ultimately I think this is a simple thing. If BMoney went over, he should be disqualified. In any other event, if you go over the time, you are disqualified. The rest of it is just posturing. This is bullshit, and we should all recognize it. I don't have much pull on social media, so I'm not sure how i can help, but I wonder how many people who voted for B Money would retract their vote if they knew this stuff? I actually didn't vote for him at all. There were some really nice pieces, but I think Drew probably set his sights higher on his piece than any other competitor. Like the Nightmare Before Christmas piece...it was awesome! But, did this person fit the most work into the largest piece they could complete in the time frame? I think when you consider the rules everyone was given, and how high they aimed when they planned their piece, Boro deserves a lot more love for executing his piece.

Sharp canoe, I have done everything you speak of for 17 years. It's principal at this point I'm an adult they are adults, in a professional setting, not some wooks garage. This contest had people from all over the country.

It's clear as day. It needs to be documented.. I hope anyone that sees this thinks twice about doing business with anyone involved.

Should I have kept my mouth shut?

Involving legal action has A far greater story than this. This is just the most recent interaction. Sorry for excluding irrelevant rambling of things from the past that involves this owner.

I do respect your opinion. Especially with your contribution to this sight. The rule about staying was for stoppages such as empty tanks. It was explained to us in detail. I asked a million questions.
    Last edited by BORO; 12-12-2018 at 01:09 PM.

@Boro - I'm glad you spoke up, both for your own good and the good of the community. The Glass community is insanely tight, and we have always done a good job of self regulation. It's good for you to vent, and good for you to expose what happened. I didn't vote for B Money at all, but if I had, I'd be furious that he was allowed to get votes when he should have been disqualified. I saw someone on your IG say that regardless of the time thing, they still think B Money made a better piece...if anyone here feels like "it's whatever", I'd like to know...how should B Money have been able to participate? How come the minute the timer was up, they didn't just tell him too bad? How does this conversation go any further than that one facet? I know pipe classic would never let you take an extra hour that no one else got, and i doubt Champs would either...

8 hours to work one hour break as you see fit (soak time)
    9 hours total. Weather he excluded his hour off we will never know. I was only there because Klip was sick when I arrived. I offered to double check gas/electric is shut down so he could go home. Thats the ONLY reason I was there at the end. klip stayed and decided to sleep.
    Last edited by BORO; 12-12-2018 at 01:15 PM.

If people had known and B money was honest. I really think Danny would have been first. His piece was cleanest and he finished per the rules.
    Last edited by BORO; 12-12-2018 at 04:10 PM.

Just wanted to chime in because this whole thing interested me so I looked at their Instalame page and it looks like they are threatening legal action to anyone who suggest the competition was rigged on their page.. gave me a good laugh