The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Best glass to metal adhesive?

Default Best glass to metal adhesive?

I put up some cabochon auctions recently and I've had a lot of people asking me if they could be made into pendants so I was wondering what the best adhesive/epoxy to use to attach boro cabochons to Aanraku pendant bails would be. Also, is the seal strong enough to last a lifetime of normal use? Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Best glass to metal adhesive?

i vote 2 ton epoxy

Blog Entries

i've heard really good things about devcon 2 part uv glue.
    "Scientists proposed that male lion's skill at ambushing prey in dense vegetation was previously unknown because of scientists' fear of being ambushed by male lions in dense vegetation." Harpers, findings, may 2013

I use E-6000. It remains slightly flexible like silicone, so if the metal flexes it doesn't pop loose.

As for life time... life time of what? The metal backing will corrode and be dust long before the glass....the life of the owner? sure, no problem.
    Doug Harroun
    Greymatter Glass
    Albuquerque, NM
    (505) 884-0318

A̿̐͒ͥ̏̅͋ͤͮ́́̒͢͏̨͙̩̦͔̫̠̲̤ͅ ̑ͨ̎͆͐̉̍̐ͤͮͨ͐̇ͩͦ̏ͣ̚͏̷̶̭̝̠͓̞̱̭̫͙̜̮̫͔̤̱͕͢b̓̓ͭ̿̓ͥ̐̒͂͂ͧ ̡̓͋̐ͥ҉̧̹͎̺̳̩̬̘̯̮̜̼̻͝ͅē̵̹̯̦̟͔͊̓̔͗͊̀͆͗̀ͭͭ̀̇͋͋ͩ̓̓͞͞͞ ̘̰̘͈a̧̹͙͇̫̲̻̳̦̦͛͑͂̌̊́̌̂̅ͤ̿͠ͅų̷̶̡̺̤̳͐̂ͣ̋̀ͅͅt̍̀͋̽͗̚ ̶͎͎̳̤͈̘̞͕̣̲̣̼͙͎̬̪̜͎̯ͤ̃̈́ͬͧ͒͟͞͝͡iͪ̋̌̄̎ͪ́̚҉̶̰͎̣̥͉̙̘̬͝ ͍͈̻̻f̡̟̤̥̝̞̈̋ͧͮ̂ͣͬͨ͆͊̌̇ͨ̚͠͞u̵ͥͦ̑ͧ̆͂͐̊̏̍̋̓͗ͭͫ͆́̃͊͘̕ ̛̱̳͓̠͖̕ḹ̢̧̦̬̲̟̳̉ͯͫ̊̏ͪͫ͝ͅ ̵̺̫͙̗̦̠̯̞̫̪̩͐ͭͮ̏̓͒̏͊͋̚̚͘ͅḧ̨̛̭̼̘ͤͥ̿ͫ̊ͦͧͮͮ̀̓̔͌̉̓̀̀͡ ̺͚e̷̦̤̘̯͎̜͇͚͔̱̙͖ͪ͛ͤͮͬ͆͆̾̾͂̑͆̓͜ȧ̴̋ͨ͂ͣͬ̓̆͐̾̿̐̃̒͊͌́͝ ̷͇̮̙̗͉͍r̵̜̰̣̫͙̦̻̖͕͎̘̲̗̘ͦ̋̑̀̌̎̓ͭ̚͞tͨ̅̇͛ͫͫ̆ͪ̌͋ͩ̉ͯ͊͌̌ ̴̨̢̭͚̳̦͖̻̮̬̣̮̟͓͉̪͈̍ ̷̷̫̬͈͓̞͈̞̬̹̟̯͚̹͇̩̏͋ͬ̍͛̎̑̄̽ͦ̆̔̈́̀͆ͩ̓

E-6000 is the best for securing something to opaque glass. If the glass is transparent, rear view mirror glue is phenominal. Think about what your mirror goes through... extreme heat, extreme cold, constant adjustment, etc.

The reason why the glass needs to be transparent is that it is a form of UV glue.

I hope that helps... Tom

Cool, looks like E-6000 it is since I've been putting a solid color backing on almost everything lately. Thanks for all your help!

while were on the subject of glue, someone recc. for glass to stone lexel
    http://www.sashcosealants.com/Home_I...ent/Lexel.aspx
    i havent tried it yet, instead of silicone.
    ro
    Rosanne Wellmaker
    RosGlassWorld.com

i use silicone glue for my drawer pulls. it's cheap and easy, and can be loaded into a calk gun. i don't think it would work for your application though. but it's great if you need to glue something large, like to a fitting

jb weld.
    rough up the glass and the metal as much as possible.
    Respect is earned.

HXTL Hextal, Locktite UV is pretty good but the piece should be transparent:o)
    ıuoɔuǝɯ o1ǝbuɐ 1ǝɐɥɔıɯ

Hextal is great for glass to glass - what about glass to metal?

Hextal is great epoxy, but it's not cheap.

-Doug
    Doug Harroun
    Greymatter Glass
    Albuquerque, NM
    (505) 884-0318

A̿̐͒ͥ̏̅͋ͤͮ́́̒͢͏̨͙̩̦͔̫̠̲̤ͅ ̑ͨ̎͆͐̉̍̐ͤͮͨ͐̇ͩͦ̏ͣ̚͏̷̶̭̝̠͓̞̱̭̫͙̜̮̫͔̤̱͕͢b̓̓ͭ̿̓ͥ̐̒͂͂ͧ ̡̓͋̐ͥ҉̧̹͎̺̳̩̬̘̯̮̜̼̻͝ͅē̵̹̯̦̟͔͊̓̔͗͊̀͆͗̀ͭͭ̀̇͋͋ͩ̓̓͞͞͞ ̘̰̘͈a̧̹͙͇̫̲̻̳̦̦͛͑͂̌̊́̌̂̅ͤ̿͠ͅų̷̶̡̺̤̳͐̂ͣ̋̀ͅͅt̍̀͋̽͗̚ ̶͎͎̳̤͈̘̞͕̣̲̣̼͙͎̬̪̜͎̯ͤ̃̈́ͬͧ͒͟͞͝͡iͪ̋̌̄̎ͪ́̚҉̶̰͎̣̥͉̙̘̬͝ ͍͈̻̻f̡̟̤̥̝̞̈̋ͧͮ̂ͣͬͨ͆͊̌̇ͨ̚͠͞u̵ͥͦ̑ͧ̆͂͐̊̏̍̋̓͗ͭͫ͆́̃͊͘̕ ̛̱̳͓̠͖̕ḹ̢̧̦̬̲̟̳̉ͯͫ̊̏ͪͫ͝ͅ ̵̺̫͙̗̦̠̯̞̫̪̩͐ͭͮ̏̓͒̏͊͋̚̚͘ͅḧ̨̛̭̼̘ͤͥ̿ͫ̊ͦͧͮͮ̀̓̔͌̉̓̀̀͡ ̺͚e̷̦̤̘̯͎̜͇͚͔̱̙͖ͪ͛ͤͮͬ͆͆̾̾͂̑͆̓͜ȧ̴̋ͨ͂ͣͬ̓̆͐̾̿̐̃̒͊͌́͝ ̷͇̮̙̗͉͍r̵̜̰̣̫͙̦̻̖͕͎̘̲̗̘ͦ̋̑̀̌̎̓ͭ̚͞tͨ̅̇͛ͫͫ̆ͪ̌͋ͩ̉ͯ͊͌̌ ̴̨̢̭͚̳̦͖̻̮̬̣̮̟͓͉̪͈̍ ̷̷̫̬͈͓̞͈̞̬̹̟̯͚̹͇̩̏͋ͬ̍͛̎̑̄̽ͦ̆̔̈́̀͆ͩ̓

Another vote for E-6000...I've used it to glue my cab necklaces for years and haven't been disappointed as yet. Below is a website that is helpful when needing knowledge about glues....
    torch often...torch safe,
    Catharine

http://www.thistothat.com
    I am NOT the authority on anything/everything, but as old as I am... and given the mistakes I've made? I've got a jump on most as to what IS right and what WON'T work!! ~CWeaver 2006

Thanks for your input, everyone! I ended up going with the E-6000 and found a 3.7 oz. tube for $5.75 + $2.00 shipping. A lot of other people wanted $8.25+ shipped for 1-2 oz. tubes. Here's a link to the people I went through: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...%3D4%26ps%3D42

Also, here is a pretty good deal on a (12) 3.7 oz tube case for anyone that uses the stuff in bulk or resells it: http://cgi.ebay.com/E6000-GOOP-ADHES...QQcmdZViewItem

Quote Originally Posted by Greymatter Glass View Post
    Hextal is great for glass to glass - what about glass to metal?

Hextal is great epoxy, but it's not cheap.

-Doug
    Hxtal is the only epoxy of it's kind. Yes glass to metal I know several huge installations that rely on it's strength for glass to metal and it's holding strong. Hxtal NYL-1 has been used by the world's finest conservation institutions, art museums, and glass artists for over 15 years for their most demanding applications.

When the British Museum was restoring the priceless Portland Vase, they turned to Hxtal for the adhesive to hold it all together.

The only downside is you can't buy it in the winter months so place your order soon and don't let it freeze.

Cost is $50 for 1/4lbs which really isn't that bad. Well worth the money.

Here's a link for more info:
    http://www.hisglassworks.com/faq/idx.php/0/050/article/

I think it's over kill for gluing bails so I didn't mention it first time around but as you can tell from my post above it is my second favorite adhesive.

The comfort in knowing your glue joint won't fall apart is absolutely priceless!

Damn, that stuff sounds hardcore! That must be what people use for those elaborate chandeliers and what not. I'd consider it if I was doing something more critical but $50 is way more than I want to spend on this small project. That's great to know though if I ever do anything that needs that kind of strength. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by somewhere View Post
    I think it's over kill for gluing bails so I didn't mention it first time around but as you can tell from my post above it is my second favorite adhesive.

The comfort in knowing your glue joint won't fall apart is absolutely priceless!