The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Houston I have a problem..

Default Houston I have a problem..

Hello fellow boro artist. I come to you today with a issue I'm running into. I am sort of a newb to boro I have worked soft glass for a while though. I am trying to make a glass pipe and I can get everything down but run into a issue with the initial hole for the bowl. See I know to pin point flame a spot and blow till it pops but after that is where I run into a issue. Every time I do this I try to heat around the hole to push down the bowl but the small hole I made expands rapidly. I'm sorry if this has been discussed a million times just a older guy to the game and had a hard enough time making a account but defiantly seems most of you here have your shit together.

Nikko

Default Re: Houston I have a problem..

after you pop the hole give it a couple seconds to cool down and harden from just being molten. then deliberately heat all around that hole, too much heat directed at the hole will cause it to stretch and pull the glass when you do your push.

probably too thin too.
    You shouldn't be having sex for pleasure, only for reproduction.
    Thousands of people read my threads now. So I’m trying to not embarrass myself.

I agree with the 'probably too thin' comment. Try keeping the glass thicker when popping the hole. This should help it from getting bigger when reheating the top of the pipe to push the bowl down.

-Tz

also how you hold the piece in the flame will make the hole bigger/smaller. if you hold your hole over the flame and heat it, it expands. if you hold the hole under the flame and heat it, it'll shrink.
    Last edited by istandalone24/7; 08-21-2013 at 05:55 AM.

^ definitely too thin.

When my bowls are nice and thick the bowl hole will want to close up on itself when heated.

Quote Originally Posted by istandalone24/7 View Post
    ... i might have that bass ackwards though.
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by nodice View Post
    Yes
    fixed, thanks for setting me straight

It's about the curvature of the glass, and gravity. Same concept goes for fixing cracks, and adjusting bowl hole size once pushed. Once pushed, do the opposite.....
    Last edited by nodice; 08-21-2013 at 06:47 AM.

slight pre heat bowl push...I dunno seems to help little bit- and wait few sec's before push help too...and you can always go back and do the clean up around rim of pushed bowl...get rid of any veins and such.....good luck...
    goldy

Minion/Nikko,

I gotta get going, but wanted to say Hi, welcome to The Melting Pot!

Glad to see people already jumping in to help out, I'll spread around some rep love from the shop in a bit.

Sounds like you're already on the right track, but in case you need more:

The search tool near the upper right corner of the page has a lot of great information in it. I would suggest "bowl push" as a good place to start looking, might find a more complete breakdown of what ya need to do there.

Also, YouTube has some really good intro pipe making videos, you should poke around in there.

Anyways, I'm out! Welcome, Welcome.

Yay! Glass!

-Doug
    Doug Harroun
    Greymatter Glass
    Albuquerque, NM
    (505) 884-0318

A̿̐͒ͥ̏̅͋ͤͮ́́̒͢͏̨͙̩̦͔̫̠̲̤ͅ ̑ͨ̎͆͐̉̍̐ͤͮͨ͐̇ͩͦ̏ͣ̚͏̷̶̭̝̠͓̞̱̭̫͙̜̮̫͔̤̱͕͢b̓̓ͭ̿̓ͥ̐̒͂͂ͧ ̡̓͋̐ͥ҉̧̹͎̺̳̩̬̘̯̮̜̼̻͝ͅē̵̹̯̦̟͔͊̓̔͗͊̀͆͗̀ͭͭ̀̇͋͋ͩ̓̓͞͞͞ ̘̰̘͈a̧̹͙͇̫̲̻̳̦̦͛͑͂̌̊́̌̂̅ͤ̿͠ͅų̷̶̡̺̤̳͐̂ͣ̋̀ͅͅt̍̀͋̽͗̚ ̶͎͎̳̤͈̘̞͕̣̲̣̼͙͎̬̪̜͎̯ͤ̃̈́ͬͧ͒͟͞͝͡iͪ̋̌̄̎ͪ́̚҉̶̰͎̣̥͉̙̘̬͝ ͍͈̻̻f̡̟̤̥̝̞̈̋ͧͮ̂ͣͬͨ͆͊̌̇ͨ̚͠͞u̵ͥͦ̑ͧ̆͂͐̊̏̍̋̓͗ͭͫ͆́̃͊͘̕ ̛̱̳͓̠͖̕ḹ̢̧̦̬̲̟̳̉ͯͫ̊̏ͪͫ͝ͅ ̵̺̫͙̗̦̠̯̞̫̪̩͐ͭͮ̏̓͒̏͊͋̚̚͘ͅḧ̨̛̭̼̘ͤͥ̿ͫ̊ͦͧͮͮ̀̓̔͌̉̓̀̀͡ ̺͚e̷̦̤̘̯͎̜͇͚͔̱̙͖ͪ͛ͤͮͬ͆͆̾̾͂̑͆̓͜ȧ̴̋ͨ͂ͣͬ̓̆͐̾̿̐̃̒͊͌́͝ ̷͇̮̙̗͉͍r̵̜̰̣̫͙̦̻̖͕͎̘̲̗̘ͦ̋̑̀̌̎̓ͭ̚͞tͨ̅̇͛ͫͫ̆ͪ̌͋ͩ̉ͯ͊͌̌ ̴̨̢̭͚̳̦͖̻̮̬̣̮̟͓͉̪͈̍ ̷̷̫̬͈͓̞͈̞̬̹̟̯͚̹͇̩̏͋ͬ̍͛̎̑̄̽ͦ̆̔̈́̀͆ͩ̓

Last edited by BORO; 08-21-2013 at 10:19 AM.

No one said this yet but............ most people start to make pipes with clear glass. When you have a bowl that is mostly clear or all clear , it will want to expand the hole way more than say .....cobalt , or any color application on the glass first . Something to think about .

Also I have seen a "newb" recently that could not deal with the hole , like you , and this was on 25.4mm x-heavy, they switched to 38mm , and had less issues as well, don't know why , just what I saw .iny bit

I always push just a tiny bit first , once the hole is the right size. Then the hole is in the bottom of the dimple you made ,now the flame will skip over the hole , and leave it the same size as you heat the rest of the way before the full push .

^^that's how i learned! coincedentally with the same person lol.

I think the two things you could do to help yourself would be to make the glass thicker first, and let the hole cool after you do it. To thicken it, just blow the head of the spoon out, then heat and rotate until it goes back to a smaller ball. Take your time pushing. What size tubing are you using? does your push have the little tungsten poke on it?

make the hole last use a piece of sharpened hot tungsten
    GETTING OLD STINKS ; but it's better than not getting older !!! Tim

Thanks to all I am going to try this advice today. Also I am using 25mmx4 I believe. But I do have some 32mmx2

25x4 is great for learning spoons. the 32x2 might be a bit tricky with the thin walls, its gonna be quite a bite of glass to condense. not that it isn't possible, but if I were in your shoes, I'd stick with learning on the 25x4.

I also have a few 16mm I believe white china tubing. Have any of you guys worked with this? Will I be able to make spoons out of this since its only 16mm. I mean the wall is very thick so im sure its possible it was just pricey when I bought it so just don't want to waste it if its hard to work with.

Also I am having a hard time making a opening after I deatch the blow tube whats the best way to go about this?