The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Studio Etiquette

Default Studio Etiquette

Hey quick question, I'm going to my first glass blowing class two weeks from now. YAY! I am uber-excited and have high expectations for my first lesson. I would like to be able to rent time on the bench after this lesson if everything goes well. What can I do to show my instructor that I am responsible and want to be able to use the studio without taking alot of these make your own christmas ornament classes. I kinda already have some ideas for my first few sessions of what I want to try to make. (Jars, marble stuff).
    Of Course there are still many thing I need to be instructed how to do. Safety, operating torch,and kiln. Maybe I can look into private lessons?
    Can you experienced Vets offer any advice on how to approach the instructor on supervised studio time, or what you suggest?

Default Re: Studio Etiquette

Ask about hands on lessons. Be humble and pay attention . Have fun.

First thing you should realize is that glass is not the easiest thing to manipulate. People with little experience acting like it's going to be easy to say a jar in their first few lessons kind of insults the hard work others put in to getting the experience they have. If I were you, I'd tell your instructor what you'd eventually like to be making, and see what he/she has to say. They should have a much better idea of how to get you where you want to go than trying to make a jar your first time on the torch. Good luck.

Don't be a cowboy and gung ho and arrogant, instructors don't appreciate that, listen carefully, if you have questions, DO ask, that's what us teachers are there for ... answering questions ... it's all part of teaching.

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't be too pushy and don't be too shy ... if you have a good teacher, he/she will spend as much equal time personally with each student as possible. Some students require a little more time and some a little less, depending on experience. If your teacher is less than attentive, be a little bit more assertive about needing help.

Watch him/her instruct another student and listen to what they teach to others whenever you can, it does, or will, pertain to you as well. Questinos, in this case, may be asked that you never thought of asking yourself.

Make sure you're in a beginners class, nothing is more stressful for an instructor than having a large class with large experience disparities between the students. It's difficult to switch constantly from teaching making a maria to teaching a filla to teaching a pendant loop to teaching advanced goblet techniques or whatever.

Be patient with yourself and with your learning curve, you probably won't walk out of your first class with much viable work, but El Dorado will be in your head and more importantly written on your notepad. Take copious, readable and understandable notes. You may think you will remember everything, and you may remember a lot, but you will forget a lot, too, unless you have a hard copy.

Don't just take a video or photos, ask your instructor if it's ok.

Don't carry on a conversation with other students about how your favourite tomato plant withered and died last weekend when the instructor is doing a demo. It's disheartening for an instructor to think that his/her students aren't listening to what he/she is saying. So be attentive.

Unless it's generic stuff, which it will most likely be in a beginner's class, try not to share techniques specific to the instructor. You will help an instructor immensely this way.

Whatever you do not masturbate over the torch, it's most likely not your torch and while you may enjoy it, other people will not, so save it till you get home to your own torch.

And most of all, enjoy the class. Share a joke, have a laugh at the instructor's jokes, even if they're lame, it'll help lighten the experience and if everyone is in a good mood, the class will be more enjoyable.

Hope you have fun

The next to last suggestion posted by Aussie is extremely important - take it from him! Ask him how he knows about that particular item, I think you'll find it very enlightening
    -Chris
    FB

Thank you all for having such great feedback and advise. I am just going to enjoy myself and the time I will spend learning under a professional will be better than going off on my own. I understand most of the points you made Aussie. As you said be respectful and work within your means. If your at a beginners level work at your level. Anyway wish me luck on my first class, I will let you know how it goes. -ryan

One thing I tell people who want to learn about glass is that the first thing to realize is that it teaches humility. You can spend hours on something and then *boop* it's on the floor. If you can move on, let it go, then you realize that you and the glass are in a relationship, and like any relationship, it has it's ups and downs.

As for the bench time... Put yourself in their shoes. Their expensive equipment, gas, tools, etc. and you're Joe Newb showing up for a one time class and then you want to run. If it was your equipment you'd likely freak out a little.

Most places that teach will rent you some bench time after a class to practice, but remember, whomever's watching the room isn't there to teach you, they're there to make sure you don't destroy the place.

Enjoy the class, and take Aussie's advice.
    Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around, and desert you.

Quote Originally Posted by menty666 View Post
    One thing I tell people who want to learn about glass is that the first thing to realize is that it teaches humility. You can spend hours on something and then *boop* it's on the floor. If you can move on, let it go, then you realize that you and the glass are in a relationship, and like any relationship, it has it's ups and downs.

Enjoy the class, and take Aussie's advice.

Just wanted to stress those points. Humility and patience.

And have fun and enjoy

Most places will want to see that you can handle yerself at the torch they'll either require you to take a safety instruction class or at least a beginner class before renting out to you. Every place is a little different.

remember the glass will cut you and the fire will burn you, usually it's the glass that I get burned by :P

And if yeh have a question ask that's what the instructors are there for

Don't open and look in boxes that don't belong to you.
    Doug Harroun
    Greymatter Glass
    Albuquerque, NM
    (505) 884-0318

A̿̐͒ͥ̏̅͋ͤͮ́́̒͢͏̨͙̩̦͔̫̠̲̤ͅ ̑ͨ̎͆͐̉̍̐ͤͮͨ͐̇ͩͦ̏ͣ̚͏̷̶̭̝̠͓̞̱̭̫͙̜̮̫͔̤̱͕͢b̓̓ͭ̿̓ͥ̐̒͂͂ͧ ̡̓͋̐ͥ҉̧̹͎̺̳̩̬̘̯̮̜̼̻͝ͅē̵̹̯̦̟͔͊̓̔͗͊̀͆͗̀ͭͭ̀̇͋͋ͩ̓̓͞͞͞ ̘̰̘͈a̧̹͙͇̫̲̻̳̦̦͛͑͂̌̊́̌̂̅ͤ̿͠ͅų̷̶̡̺̤̳͐̂ͣ̋̀ͅͅt̍̀͋̽͗̚ ̶͎͎̳̤͈̘̞͕̣̲̣̼͙͎̬̪̜͎̯ͤ̃̈́ͬͧ͒͟͞͝͡iͪ̋̌̄̎ͪ́̚҉̶̰͎̣̥͉̙̘̬͝ ͍͈̻̻f̡̟̤̥̝̞̈̋ͧͮ̂ͣͬͨ͆͊̌̇ͨ̚͠͞u̵ͥͦ̑ͧ̆͂͐̊̏̍̋̓͗ͭͫ͆́̃͊͘̕ ̛̱̳͓̠͖̕ḹ̢̧̦̬̲̟̳̉ͯͫ̊̏ͪͫ͝ͅ ̵̺̫͙̗̦̠̯̞̫̪̩͐ͭͮ̏̓͒̏͊͋̚̚͘ͅḧ̨̛̭̼̘ͤͥ̿ͫ̊ͦͧͮͮ̀̓̔͌̉̓̀̀͡ ̺͚e̷̦̤̘̯͎̜͇͚͔̱̙͖ͪ͛ͤͮͬ͆͆̾̾͂̑͆̓͜ȧ̴̋ͨ͂ͣͬ̓̆͐̾̿̐̃̒͊͌́͝ ̷͇̮̙̗͉͍r̵̜̰̣̫͙̦̻̖͕͎̘̲̗̘ͦ̋̑̀̌̎̓ͭ̚͞tͨ̅̇͛ͫͫ̆ͪ̌͋ͩ̉ͯ͊͌̌ ̴̨̢̭͚̳̦͖̻̮̬̣̮̟͓͉̪͈̍ ̷̷̫̬͈͓̞͈̞̬̹̟̯͚̹͇̩̏͋ͬ̍͛̎̑̄̽ͦ̆̔̈́̀͆ͩ̓

Haha