The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: yay! completed my first pipe

Default yay! completed my first pipe

well I got about 7 hours of burn time and finally got a completed pipe. Of the 20 or so I have tried its individual parts aren't the best I have done but its the first one I got to finish without doing something stupid and ruining it. I know its not a big deal to most of you but I am celebrating (actually I cracked the living crap out of the mouth piece and I mean CRACKED! but I was able to slowly weld it all back together)
    Thanks to my instructor who hasn't started my formal lessons yet but was kind enough to give me a bunch of pointers this week while he was making pieces and a handful of tools (including a kiln) to borrow until I get the money to complete my setup. Thanks to this forum I ended up finding someone just 3 miles from my house.
    I know I got a long road to hoe but I am stoked and I am definetly digging glass even if it is 100 x's harder then you guys make it look.
    Merry Christmas everyone!

Default Re: yay! completed my first pipe

well congrats!!! stik with it and it will get easier.

pics or it didn't happen
    j/k j/k you got a camera?

will try to get a pic up tommorrow. Been trying to get some more done. Getting horriby frustrated I finally made a nice curve in a pipe with no crease and went to pop the punty from the bowl and it took a nice chunk of glass with it. Seems to be a constant I keep messing up pieces at the very last step. Actually got a sidecar done which for me was a horrible challenge and bumped the punty on the way to the kiln and it hit the floor. It wasn't beautiful but I put a lot of work into it.

sounds like your using cold seals, I hate cold seals on my mouth peice, try to change your technique so you don't have to do that.

ok here are the pics. Feel free to tell me everything wrong with them remember these were made my first few days on a torch.Can't learn if people don't critique right?
    I have some spoons in the kiln right now. I decided to switch to them since they are so much easier except I keep getting a crinkle in the bottom when I try to flatten the bottom of the bowl it a bit.

this was the first one I got done. Just a str8 pipe out of 1" was going to try to shape the stem some but I was like hey kiln the damn thing so I have at least one done.

this is just a one hitter. I call it the mr. hanky pipe cause I tried to give it some shape and after looking at it if I had brown frit it would look just like a turd. Pic isn't the greatest its actually prety str8 and the bowl was just a constiction no push or flare.

trying to get a pic of the bowl.

most expensive box that I'll ever put into the recycle bin Thats about 9 feet of tube there.

You can't recycle boro through the municipal system. Put it in the trash. It will just cause problems with the machinery if you try to put it in with other recyclables.

Nice job on the restriction btw! That was the very first tech I learned and it is definitely one of the key building blocks to understanding how hot glass behaves in the flame.

I know you have heard this before, but lose the cigarettes. They will kill you in the end.

Keep on torching!

If you save and weigh waste it can be a tax write off . It seems like it was Misha that gave me that insight .

ya cigarettes! so glad I quit

old thread is old.

Cigarettes unearth old threads too. Can't have that.

BRAINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but seriously, if we're gonna go bringing up super old threads, can we talk about this:
    Quote Originally Posted by NUBBLET View Post
    If you save and weigh waste it can be a tax write off . It seems like it was Misha that gave me that insight .
    I'm not very tax proficient, but this sounds good. I've still got all my "waste/scrap" glass in a 5 gallon bucket... I'd love to turn it into something useable, like tax write-offs

oh yeah, and

BRAINS!!!!!!!

You already write your materials off when you buy them. You can't write off waste. That would be partially writing them off twice.

Like, say you are on a construction site, the contractor does not get to weigh the contents of the dumpster and write them off, right? Can a woodworker weigh sawdust and write it off?

That was the basis of confusion...

all you can write off is the cost of disposing of it.
    you will shank me later

Quote Originally Posted by FifDeez View Post
    I like the idea of burning water. Sounds mystical even tho I understand it completely.

Note to self:

Create phoney disposal business.